ASM Clermont Auvergne Vs Ulster Sat 11th Jan @ 1.00pm BT Sport 3

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Re: ASM Clermont Auvergne Vs Ulster Sat 11th Jan @ 1.00pm BT Sport 3

Post by Dublin4 »

Not many sides would have turned down so many points in the way Ulster did in the first half. It was courageous rugby but ultimately cost you the game.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

It was ridiculously naive. Got completely carried away with the upper hand situation they found themselves early in the game.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

So who do we think we could beat away in the quarters?
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Post by Hapax Legomenon »

HammerTime wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:32 pm It was ridiculously naive. Got completely carried away with the upper hand situation they found themselves early in the game.
Spot on. The opportunities were there. Poor leadership from Hendy.
There can be only one
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

By my reckoning any kind of a win next week gets us the 6th seed and an away match to the 3rd placed team. Looking like a 90% chance this will be Exeter at the minute with leinster and Toulouse battling it out for top spot.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Should have kicked the points in the first half after the first corner kick failed . Referees normally don't rush to card home sides for repeat infringements and penalty trys are as rare as hen's teeth.

With a 10 -3 lead the opposition home is not under the greatest pressure -- a converted try is enough to level and Clermont are always a threat for a converted try. Whereas a score line 16- 3 really has a team playing catch-up and under pressure.

With Ulster's record -- in 5 metre line outs being not the most inspiring -- I surprised Henderson didn't opt for the points

Ambition is a fine thing -- but it needs a basis to make it a reality -- Ulsters line out ( currently ) doesn't provide that basis.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:53 pm Lost that in the first half, kick the points, stupid.

If Marty Moore is injured, get him otf. Tom O'Toole isn't that big a step down.
Hmmm.

One could be forgiven for suggesting that Marty Moore is second only to Cooney in terms of who we need to be out on the park.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: ASM Clermont Auvergne Vs Ulster Sat 11th Jan @ 1.00pm BT Sport

Post by justinr73 »

I think Clermont’s economy has been boosted significantly this weekend.

There were a few casualties amongst the travelling support. It was a long day today.

The locals are a good bunch.

I’d like to see Ulster introducing a fromage and charcuterie platter. Best hot wine I’ve ever had too.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Bottom line is Ulster will be in the quarters. As long as ye take on board the harsh learnings from this game it can be a positive in the medium / long term.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:15 am
Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:53 pm Lost that in the first half, kick the points, stupid.

If Marty Moore is injured, get him otf. Tom O'Toole isn't that big a step down.
Hmmm.

One could be forgiven for suggesting that Marty Moore is second only to Cooney in terms of who we need to be out on the park.
One could be I suppose, but TOT actually improved our scrum when he came on.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Poor decision making at times, JC actually guilty - box kick into touch, playing against a wheeling scrum, Luke looked like he needed to be taken off after that bang to the head, definitely an opportunity lost.

Question to the smart young things, who are we likely to meet if we get 4 points against Bath, I fancy Dublin or France.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Many herein have been critical of Henderson's decision making and basically it is down to a lack of rule of thumb as to when to play for the the corner.

So here is my suggestion.

1 Go to the corner if your kicker considers he has less than 80-90 % chance of kicking the points ( ie wrong side, too long or strong wind )

1 Go to the corner if you are playing catch -up --ie you are losing by a two score or more. margin -- more then 7 points

2 Go to the corner if you are leading by more than a 2 try margin --say 15 -3 ( Playing for glory)

3. Go to the corner if you have already scored 2 trys and there is a need for try bonus points and the time to achieve it.( playing for glory)

4 -- Go for the points away from home and the score line is tight.( playing to win )

And the Prime rule being play to WIN before seeking Glory.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

So much criticism from what was an outstanding effort from a bunch of rejects. People are focusing too much on the pens that were not kicked at goal. I suggest watching 'Back to the Future', if you kick the first it changes the course of the match and you are not guaranteed to get the other 2. Therefore the most you can say with certainty, was 3 pts lost. Nevermind that we lost by 16 pts.

Some outstanding performances. Coetzee was magnificent. We were unlucky with that injury occurring when the ref stopped play. It seemed like we might score. Clermont were just too powerful in the latter stages.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Marco wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:45 am Poor decision making at times, JC actually guilty - box kick into touch, playing against a wheeling scrum, Luke looked like he needed to be taken off after that bang to the head, definitely an opportunity lost.

Question to the smart young things, who are we likely to meet if we get 4 points against Bath, I fancy Dublin or France.
We’d be 6th and travel to 3rd.

Currently that would be Toulouse, assuming Leinster win today.

Exeter only ahead of Toulouse by a whisker on points difference. I reckon they’ll hammer La Rochelle next week though so another trip to France beckons.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Re not taking the points, the mindset probably was that we need to score tries to win out there. The way we started and having a try on the board would have meant confidence was high so it is easy to be critical post match, even though I was as well. While our confidence levels have improved it is not at the level yet where we can go to the likes of clermont and trust our defence to win a tight game hence the over eagerness to go for the tries early.