A few thoughts for the support staff.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

A few thoughts for the support staff.

Post by Dharper »

What are people’s thoughts?

There has been comments not always positive re support staff over last couple of seasons - so I thought I’d chuck my 2p in re where we are currently:

From a forwards point of view the obvious room for improvement is the lineout -SC injury & all round improvement has maybe highlighted this further.
The scrum has improved immeasurably - the recruitment of MM & JMcG has been fantastic but massive credit to EOS, and TOT is improving all the time. The video “squeeze ever inch” on YouTube is showing the environment that is now in place at UR: massive credit should go to everyone involved in building this. DMcF & Roddy Grant really setting the standards with the players.

JP - the defence, which has had off days now seems to be gathering cohesion.

DP - continuity of selection seems to be helping the attack in the backs - bps clearly showing this.

DS - handlings improving, a way to go, but we look slicker.

S&C - Now to be fair the pups will naturally fill out to a degree. However there’s no doubt Balacoune, Rea, and TOT have physically changed in last 9 mths. I think there is definitely an improved physicality about us overall.

Far from finished of course & huge strides still to make, but for me the coaching support in place for the players to improve & reach they potential is nicely in place. Well done....so far.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: A few thoughts for the support staff.

Post by justinr73 »

It’s hard to disagree with that.
Vanhelsing
Novice

Post by Vanhelsing »

Marty Moore has been great so far not just the grunt factor but all around the park.Jack I believe we will see the best of him ever in a rugby shirt.Great news for us.
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Marty is now playing his international standard rugby again. A first class signing.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Marty has been great, just need him to last longer than 55mins.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

The involvement of Moore for the try away to Clermont this season shows he has the skill set around the park to match his set piece.

Very little between Moore and Furlong based on performances over the course of last season.

To be fair this is more to do with Furlong not being at the heights he was circa 2017 Lions tour, however Moore on current trajectory had all the signs of surpassing him.

Whatever Dan is feeding these guys they're enjoying it.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Jackie Brown wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:10 pm Marty has been great, just need him to last longer than 55mins.
How many tight heads do that consistently?

He’s managed it 5 times out of 11 this season and 12 out of 20 last year btw.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Jackie Brown wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:10 pm Marty has been great, just need him to last longer than 55mins.
I wish I could last 55mins
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

there is the possibility he could last longer than the 55 mins but by subbing him you lessen the chances of injury and give a younger player experience. So Substitution becomes win win . At the early and middle stages of the league you have to protect those players you may need for more important games in the fixture list games you must win.-- Yes its nice to win ever game but realism would say a win away to either leinster or Munster, even with your best XV, would be unlikely therefore there are games you must win away from home to compensate .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

damianmcr wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:22 pm
I wish I could last 55mins
Wouldn't know what to do with myself after 55 minutes.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Marty put in a 73 minute shift away to Harlequins and another 67 minutes away to Clermont.

I think his time on the pitch has more to do with player and game management than anything else.

Have the opposition brought on a fresher sub prop? How many scrums have there been so far? How many minutes has he played the week before? His rate of recovery potentially longer to a wing / full back.

I wouldn't fancy carrying about his frame for the guts of an hour at the rate he does.