Ulster v Bath

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

User avatar
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4143
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by UlsterNo9 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 am

HammerTime wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:45 am
promsandwich wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:37 am
Hapax Legomenon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:28 pm
Shan wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:00 pm
I only listened to the match on RTE Radio. Paddy Wallace was the co-commentator and he wasn't hugely impressed.

Still who cares.....Ulster is in the 1/4 final and have plenty of time to correct the issues to give themselves some kind of chance.
Line out may be fixable in the short term. However the chronic lack of props isn’t so easy to sort out.
Every team will target our scrum.
We have four front line props who are good enough - McGrath, Moore, O'Toole and Sullivan. Milosonevich ( is that the correct spelling ) would undoubtedly have helped. We just need a couple of younger props to emerge and we would actually be reasonably well stocked. The problem is we probably always compare ourselves with Leinsters never ending production line.
And so we should be. The population of Ulster and Leinster are practically the same so the potential numbers are there. Obviously we are miles behind in rugby playing infrastructure but the raw materials should be there. In theory anyway.

In theory our population is tiny compared to India, now apply your logic.....
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18

User avatar
John_e_boy
Initiate
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by John_e_boy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:03 pm

Whilst we only had ourselves to blame for a lot of the performance yesterday, our woes at scrumtime were compounded by some truly awful reffing. Each time this French whistler allowed Bath to push up and obliterate the Ulster front-row illegally.

A couple of times he was happy to accept a call on his comms from the AR on the far side concerning binding errors by Ulster despite the Bath prop doing thecsame in front of his own eyes.

I'm not saying our scrum isn't a worry, but we need refs to know what they're doing as well.

justinr73
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by justinr73 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:22 pm

Their big lad in the front row did well again and took the trouble to acknowledge the support he was getting from the travelling fans in the East Terrace.

User avatar
Hapax Legomenon
Novice
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by Hapax Legomenon » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:43 pm

promsandwich wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:37 am
Hapax Legomenon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:28 pm
Shan wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:00 pm
I only listened to the match on RTE Radio. Paddy Wallace was the co-commentator and he wasn't hugely impressed.

Still who cares.....Ulster is in the 1/4 final and have plenty of time to correct the issues to give themselves some kind of chance.
Line out may be fixable in the short term. However the chronic lack of props isn’t so easy to sort out.
Every team will target our scrum.
We have four front line props who are good enough - McGrath, Moore, O'Toole and Sullivan. Milosonevich ( is that the correct spelling ) would undoubtedly have helped. We just need a couple of younger props to emerge and we would actually be reasonably well stocked. The problem is we probably always compare ourselves with Leinsters never ending production line.
We’ve been schooled in recent weeks. Maybe it’s technique that can be addressed. Either way, I can’t see us going to any of top four and having a competitive scrum. Doesn’t mean we won’t be competitive next season or the season after.
There can be only one

User avatar
HammerTime
Squire
Posts: 740
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by HammerTime » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:06 pm

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 am
HammerTime wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:45 am
promsandwich wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:37 am
Hapax Legomenon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:28 pm
Shan wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:00 pm
I only listened to the match on RTE Radio. Paddy Wallace was the co-commentator and he wasn't hugely impressed.

Still who cares.....Ulster is in the 1/4 final and have plenty of time to correct the issues to give themselves some kind of chance.
Line out may be fixable in the short term. However the chronic lack of props isn’t so easy to sort out.
Every team will target our scrum.
We have four front line props who are good enough - McGrath, Moore, O'Toole and Sullivan. Milosonevich ( is that the correct spelling ) would undoubtedly have helped. We just need a couple of younger props to emerge and we would actually be reasonably well stocked. The problem is we probably always compare ourselves with Leinsters never ending production line.
And so we should be. The population of Ulster and Leinster are practically the same so the potential numbers are there. Obviously we are miles behind in rugby playing infrastructure but the raw materials should be there. In theory anyway.

In theory our population is tiny compared to India, now apply your logic.....
What a chube. Who mentioned India and who TF plays rugby there? Leinster population approx 2.5, Ulster 2.1, Munster 1.2 and Connacht 0.5. There should, In theory be potential numbers there especially compared to thelikes of Munster and Connacht.

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11751
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by big mervyn » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:12 pm

HammerTime wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:06 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 am
HammerTime wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:45 am
promsandwich wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:37 am
Hapax Legomenon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:28 pm


Line out may be fixable in the short term. However the chronic lack of props isn’t so easy to sort out.
Every team will target our scrum.
We have four front line props who are good enough - McGrath, Moore, O'Toole and Sullivan. Milosonevich ( is that the correct spelling ) would undoubtedly have helped. We just need a couple of younger props to emerge and we would actually be reasonably well stocked. The problem is we probably always compare ourselves with Leinsters never ending production line.
And so we should be. The population of Ulster and Leinster are practically the same so the potential numbers are there. Obviously we are miles behind in rugby playing infrastructure but the raw materials should be there. In theory anyway.

In theory our population is tiny compared to India, now apply your logic.....
What a chube. Who mentioned India and who TF plays rugby there? Leinster population approx 2.5, Ulster 2.1, Munster 1.2 and Connacht 0.5. There should, In theory be potential numbers there especially compared to thelikes of Munster and Connacht.
The grammar school boys population (and it's southern equivalents) would seem to be the most pertinent comparison.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

User avatar
HammerTime
Squire
Posts: 740
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by HammerTime » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:28 pm

big mervyn wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:12 pm
HammerTime wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:06 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 am
HammerTime wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:45 am
promsandwich wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:37 am


We have four front line props who are good enough - McGrath, Moore, O'Toole and Sullivan. Milosonevich ( is that the correct spelling ) would undoubtedly have helped. We just need a couple of younger props to emerge and we would actually be reasonably well stocked. The problem is we probably always compare ourselves with Leinsters never ending production line.
And so we should be. The population of Ulster and Leinster are practically the same so the potential numbers are there. Obviously we are miles behind in rugby playing infrastructure but the raw materials should be there. In theory anyway.

In theory our population is tiny compared to India, now apply your logic.....
What a chube. Who mentioned India and who TF plays rugby there? Leinster population approx 2.5, Ulster 2.1, Munster 1.2 and Connacht 0.5. There should, In theory be potential numbers there especially compared to thelikes of Munster and Connacht.
The grammar school boys population (and it's southern equivalents) would seem to be the most pertinent comparison.
It sure would. The point was that we should have the potential numbers who have an interest in playing rugby whether it be at school or club. The base population is there it’s obviously what we have been doing with it which has been an utter failure.

User avatar
MightyRearranger
Squire
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:42 am
Location: Lisburn

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by MightyRearranger » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:15 pm

Always thought one of the big differences that would affect playing numbers between here and Leinster was the fact the game here is still largely seen as a 'protestant' game. Down south I think some of the schools play gaelic in the summer and rugby in the winter, while up here it's either rugby and cricket or the GAA.

User avatar
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4143
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by UlsterNo9 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:17 pm

HammerTime wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:06 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 am
HammerTime wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:45 am
promsandwich wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:37 am
Hapax Legomenon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:28 pm


Line out may be fixable in the short term. However the chronic lack of props isn’t so easy to sort out.
Every team will target our scrum.
We have four front line props who are good enough - McGrath, Moore, O'Toole and Sullivan. Milosonevich ( is that the correct spelling ) would undoubtedly have helped. We just need a couple of younger props to emerge and we would actually be reasonably well stocked. The problem is we probably always compare ourselves with Leinsters never ending production line.
And so we should be. The population of Ulster and Leinster are practically the same so the potential numbers are there. Obviously we are miles behind in rugby playing infrastructure but the raw materials should be there. In theory anyway.

In theory our population is tiny compared to India, now apply your logic.....
What a chube. Who mentioned India and who TF plays rugby there? Leinster population approx 2.5, Ulster 2.1, Munster 1.2 and Connacht 0.5. There should, In theory be potential numbers there especially compared to thelikes of Munster and Connacht.
Nothing to do with population you chube. If it did India would be champions at everything with their 1.3 billion..... chube.

What's your point on population?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18

User avatar
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11226
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Carrickfergus

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by Jackie Brown » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Gonna Party Like It's 1999

Bart S
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3406
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by Bart S » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:59 pm

Hard to imagine Baloucoune mot being in the 1st xv, even with Lyttle, Gilroy and Ludik all fit.

User avatar
MightyRearranger
Squire
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:42 am
Location: Lisburn

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by MightyRearranger » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:05 pm

He's been our best back three player this season, as things stand his place in our first XV should be fairly nailed on. I'm slightly suprised that nobody is talking about him with respect to the Ireland team, i think he's playing well enough and with Earls in such bad form and Kearney not in the squad two of the places are up for grabs.

User avatar
MightyRearranger
Squire
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:42 am
Location: Lisburn

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by MightyRearranger » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 pm

I haven't heard much about Aaron Sexton this year, but if he comes back into the panel post 7's and comes anywhere close to the hype there'll be some battle for places in the Ulster team.

Dharper
Initiate
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by Dharper » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:29 pm

RBs catching is fine, however he clearly needs to develop a kicking game to reach the top level. What is noticeable is that he keeps his width, creating a large whole around the 13 channel. I hope he occasionally comes closer in for an easier pass from 13, rather than a bounce pass....and trust himself to beat the winger on the outside (he is clearly playing to orders). There is a hint of him finishing moves where everything is created for him inside, I hope as his confidence builds he backs himself more.....he’d be absolutely lethal with a chip and chase in his locker.

That was a big noticeable from sat for me, big space behind the bath wingers....absolutely crying out for a grubber along the touch line to turn them. Baths kicking game was clever and manipulative, ours didn’t really ask any questions.

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6225
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by damianmcr » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:30 am

MightyRearranger wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 pm
I haven't heard much about Aaron Sexton this year, but if he comes back into the panel post 7's and comes anywhere close to the hype there'll be some battle for places in the Ulster team.
I don't think he made the Ireland 7's team.

Post Reply