Salaries on the Pro14

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

The Rustler
Novice

Salaries on the Pro14

Post by The Rustler »

Much talk of rugby salaries in the press. Good to see Saracens get their comeuppance after consistently breaking the rules.
Is this the time to start publishing pro14 salaries by club....including of course anything that is being paid via the rugby unions.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Salaries on the Pro14

Post by damianmcr »

No. Why?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Seems to be still open to question whether or not Sorries (or Salaries as they seem to be on the Bath website) actually have got their comeuppance. From what I've read, they accepted the drop to the Championship, rather than open their books to the inspectors. Will they also be able to keep the titles they won while they were up to no good? Exeter and others feel seriously aggrieved as, I imagine, do the Mexicans, who lost the Eurofinal to them last year.

On your main question, yes, I think it is time to do this. I assumed it was already open, seems not.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Salary cap wouldn't work with IRFU, because at the end of the day the salaries are ultimately paid by the union rather than the provinces. Because of that I'm not sure how it would benefit anyone to publish the salaries?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

It wouldn't, are the Premiership salaries in the public domain?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Fair enough LL. I hadn't thought of that. I assume there isn't any hint of a 'few quid stuffed into your boot' culture anywhere in Ireland?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

We don't have a salary cap in the Pro14, so what would it matter.

I wonder is McIlroy still giving Pienaar backhanders?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

From a point of being seen to be fair a disclosure of provincial salaries totals would be interesting

Salaries -full time employees
Sub divided -Coaching and admin- professional and club and schools .

Total Player salaries sub divide Provincial Central and endorsement .
And identification of highest and average .

Then the man on the terrace would be able to consider if the performance of the squad reflects the cost and the investment made by the IRFU

If say the Leinster squad cost is twice that of Ulster is it fair to expect the same level of success .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

What disastrous suggestion, firstly there is no salary cap in the Pro14 just the decisions by the individual unions own rules.
I wonder is the Rustler prepared to disclose his earnings to public scrutiny?
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

solidarity wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:49 pm Seems to be still open to question whether or not Sorries (or Salaries as they seem to be on the Bath website) actually have got their comeuppance. From what I've read, they accepted the drop to the Championship, rather than open their books to the inspectors. Will they also be able to keep the titles they won while they were up to no good? Exeter and others feel seriously aggrieved as, I imagine, do the Mexicans, who lost the Eurofinal to them last year.

On your main question, yes, I think it is time to do this. I assumed it was already open, seems not.
Not sure the Mexicans have any actual grounds to feel aggrieved, isn't the salary cap just an English thing?
Can they can really complain about that?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Soda wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:57 am
solidarity wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:49 pm Seems to be still open to question whether or not Sorries (or Salaries as they seem to be on the Bath website) actually have got their comeuppance. From what I've read, they accepted the drop to the Championship, rather than open their books to the inspectors. Will they also be able to keep the titles they won while they were up to no good? Exeter and others feel seriously aggrieved as, I imagine, do the Mexicans, who lost the Eurofinal to them last year.

Not sure the Mexicans have any actual grounds to feel aggrieved, isn't the salary cap just an English thing?
Bit tenuous to be sure, but they did flout their own domestic league's rules to qualify for Europe and deprive another team of a rightful place in the competition. Should the ERC not take a position on that?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:04 am

Bit tenuous to be sure, but they did flout their own domestic league's rules to qualify for Europe and deprive another team of a rightful place in the competition. Should the ERC not take a position on that?
Not actually sure they should, effectively all that happened was that the best English team qualified (allbeit by breaching their own, self imposed rules).
Unless ERC are going to introduce a Europe wide salary cap, I'd suggest it's just a domestic squabble
Last edited by Soda on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Soda wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 am

Not actually sure they should, effectively all that happened was that the best English team qualified (allbeit by breaching their own, self imposed rules).
Unless they are going to introduce a Europe wide salary cap, I'd suggest it's just a domestic squabble
Quoting from the ERC's own qualification rules: Gallagher Premiership Rugby (6): The six highest-ranked clubs based on their final finishing positions.

As things stand, I don't think the ERC can have an issue with Sarries recent Champions Cup participation, but if the Premiership were to void their Premiership performances for the last few seasons then there would certainly be an issue.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:30 am
Soda wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 am

Unless they are going to introduce a Europe wide salary cap, I'd suggest it's just a domestic squabble
Quoting from the ERC's own qualification rules: Gallagher Premiership Rugby (6): The six highest-ranked clubs based on their final finishing positions.

As things stand, I don't think the ERC can have an issue with Sarries recent Champions Cup participation, but if the Premiership were to void their Premiership performances for the last few seasons then there would certainly be an issue.
Quite possibly, and whilst you'd suspect the Premiership might be content with the relegation, you can never really be sure with the Lionels.

On balance though, after due consideration and all things considered, hell slap it into them.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

You can be sure if there was a salary cap in Ireland there would be creative ways around it so in reality there would be no cap.

I know they have salary caps in U.S Sports but it seems to be a bit of an English thing. Years ago they had salary caps in association football in England. Took a lot of work to get rid of it.

I wouldn't have any interest in knowing what the players are getting paid. Not my business. We already know what the IRFU overall income and expenditure is as it is in the yearly reports. That is more than enough.....even taking into account sales of sites for millions which may not have appeared on the list of assets. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.