New Scrum Half?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Re: New Scrum Half?

Post by therealspratt »

Amiga500 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:30 pm Regardless of what I think - the signing is confirmed.

I can only assume it means both Shanners and Stewart are out the door - and Finlay's the youngster who'll be 3rd choice.
One would hope so.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Didn’t think he was as old as 34. He’s gone from covering at Munster when their 9 is on international duty to covering 9 at Ulster while their 9 is on international duty.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Obviously holding back local talent at 9 is no longer an issue for the IRFU.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Cockatrice wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:42 pm Obviously holding back local talent at 9 is no longer an issue for the IRFU.
Unfortunately there is no local talent to hold back.

Stewart and Finlay are not up to it at that level.

Doak is a year or two off but will benefit massively from Alby.

Personally I think it’s great business.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

Am i missing something Re. Lewis Finlay?

He has been very very good for Ireland U20s
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

So why did we have to get rid of Pienaar?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

launish116 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:24 pm Am i missing something Re. Lewis Finlay?

He’s a decent AIL player.

As I have said many times before they made a mistake when they choose Stewart over O’Donnell.
Finlay was at Hinch last year and couldn’t get near the 1s because ROD was there. Hence why he left to go to Malone.

They will now throw all the eggs in Doak’s basket but to be fair, he’s a cracker!
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

Jackie Brown wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:35 pm So why did we have to get rid of Pienaar?
Pienaar offered to stay as understudy to Cooney plus a paycut. Nucifora said no. He would block the talent coming through. Ireland had some form so therefore Nucifora was heralded a genius by vacuous D4 twunts...

Three years later a 27 year old wee dave still cannot execute basic scrum half play. Nucifora has now admitted he was WRONG. His plan was a disaster. Ireland are a mess. He should resign.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Amiga500 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:30 pm Regardless of what I think - the signing is confirmed.

I can only assume it means both Shanners and Stewart are out the door - and Finlay's the youngster who'll be 3rd choice.
Doak will be 3rd choice
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

launish116 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:24 pm Am i missing something Re. Lewis Finlay?

There is a vast chasm between U20 standard of play and the professional game.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I think this is a great move.

Bringing in a quality player who knows the score in terms of what his role is and has shown he can do it well from his time at Munster.

Need to remember that until now Cooney has not been an Ireland regular subject to IRFU player management rules throughout the season so we have seen a lot more of him than we are likely to going forward. The need for a quality back up 9 is paramount. Also Doak or another young'un as 3rd choice will get their share of chances next season - initially off the bench replacing matthewson and then if they go well maybe a few starts.

As for the current lot, if Shanners couldn't displace Marshall towards the end of his career and Stewart cant displace Shanners then you would have to seriously doubt whether either would be good enough.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:14 am

Though in Shanahan and Stewart we have players who didn't even deliver at that level.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

therealspratt wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:25 pm
Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:14 am

Though in Shanahan and Stewart we have players who didn't even deliver at that level.
Shanahan didn't, but Stewart did he was involved with U20 for two years.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

kingofthehill wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:07 pm

He’s a decent AIL player.

As I have said many times before they made a mistake when they choose Stewart over O’Donnell.
Finlay was at Hinch last year and couldn’t get near the 1s because ROD was there. Hence why he left to go to Malone.

They will now throw all the eggs in Doak’s basket but to be fair, he’s a cracker!
I don't think that's quite fair on Finlay - he has looked very good at U-20 level, and these days U-20 is a consistently high standard, and while it's not unheard of for a player to go nowhere after shining at U-20, it has recently tended to be a very good indicator of a good future. I haven't seen quite enough of him just yet, but I think he's been very impressive so far. As for being behind ROD, it's not really surprising given that back then he would have been what 18? And ROD with a couple of seasons under his belt - I know you are a big ROD fan, and I am too up to a point, but I have to say that while I've often been impressed by him at Hinch, I'm not sure he has stood out so much that it's obvious to me he should be in the Ulster squad..

I do think he's better than Stewart though - Stewart played for the 20s for a couple of years, but a relatively weak team, and didn't really stand out, in fact what I remember most is his kicks continually being charged down!
..one more thing
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Mixed feeling about signing Alby yes we need a backup for Cooney, would have preferred a local 9 on the bench.
We have at least three potential candidates from our local resources but all need time to mature. Finlay is playing well for under20’s, Doak has already featured for UlsterA but is currently is involved with Wallace’s SchoolsCup. Campaign and Connor McKee was with the U20 squad but hasn’t featured due illness at the beginning of the campaign but spent last week with the senior squad as cover due to Shanahan carrying an injury.
So a 1 year contract is good business as it gives the local youngsters time to develop and mature. I think if we throw Curtis into the pool as well Ulster have some strength at 9.