Guinness PRO14 season has been suspended in response to the evolving COVID-19 outbreak until....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Guinness PRO14 season has been suspended in response to the evolving COVID-19 outbreak until....

Post by fermain »

...unknown at this time.

https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/gu ... -suspended
The current Guinness PRO14 season has been suspended in response to the evolving COVID-19 outbreak.

The PRO14 is an international league. Cross border travel is inevitable and that brings with it unique challenges. With governments in Italy and Ireland already putting in place clear directives and restrictions around public activities and travel, the decision to suspend the competition is appropriate. It is in the best interests of everyone that games are not played at this time. The suspension has been directed by the board of Celtic Rugby DAC and will be remain under constant review.

David Jordan, Tournament Director PRO14 Rugby, said: “We have made this decision with everyone’s welfare foremost in our minds. With an evolving situation in the five countries that take part in Guinness PRO14 it is important to make a clear decision that is in keeping with the advice of the various governments involved.”

Resumption of the 2019/20 season will now become a matter of constant review. To this point PRO14 Rugby has ensured that it has the latest information and guidance made available by the local and national authorities via our participating unions in the UK, Ireland, Italy and South Africa.

This will remain the case for the duration of the suspension. This is an unprecedented action for the tournament and as such no end date to the suspension can be provided at this time.

In keeping with our practice during the outbreak, PRO14 Rugby will provide updates on the suspension when more information is available.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Guinness PRO14 season has been suspended in response to the evolving COVID-19 outbreak until....

Post by fermain »

I blame Nucifora, Trevor Brennan, Boris & Arlene in that order
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Guinness PRO14 season has been suspended in response to the evolving COVID-19 outbreak until....

Post by justinr73 »

Great news - with the rugby out of the way and the travel and accommodation already booked, Mrs justinr73 can look forward to a romantic Easter Saturday evening out in Newport.....
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

fermain wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:03 pm I blame Nucifora, Trevor Brennan, Boris & Arlene in that order
Exactly. Got it in one... or four. >appl

It was pretty much inevitable, I suppose, for the reasons outlined in the first post and hard to argue with. So we just hunker down, enter the summer silly season a bit early and wait for resumption of hostilities. Or might we have an early 'summer' and a clutch of matches in late May, June and early July. I assume the Heiny isn't going on either so a clogged fixture list is inevitable, unless they all just write off the season.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Based on the best predictions of the infection peak it looks like the season may will be written off.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

Didn't think suspensions or other penalties with no end date were allowed under Human Rights laws?

League should just plead guilty, wear a nice suit and not eat the biscuits, and maybe suspension will be cut by a few weeks.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I could see a situation whereby things could clear up sufficiently to restart before the end of the regular season, but with a backlog which was impossible to catch up given other considerations. In that case, i doubt they would even bother playing the scheduled fixtures which could be played on the envisaged day, as they still would not be able to compete the league.

I see the chance of the pro14 season finishing being about as high as the ulster game in toulouse going ahead in early april in a stadium full of fans.

So how would they decide the european places for next season? Whichever way i can’t see how ulster would not qualify.....unless done alphabetically!
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

And if they do want to finish competitions, why not scrap the summer tour? Bloody ranking points i suppose and the ARU need the money.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Besr estimate for the peak is 10-14 weeks. That's end of. May best case scenario and of course infection rates will still be highr for some time after that. The season is ballixed. Imagine they would have ro use current positions for Euro qualification.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

14 Weeks...that’s a helluva lot of bog rolls.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Or old Post office norn iron phone books!
Of the fun there was when we got to the section predominantly' them uns", and the joy of wiping your a##e. And they never knew!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Ah the phone book, remember it well. I remember impressing some girls by tearing one in half - actually not particularly difficult once you earned the technique, but it did look rather good back in the day, when impressing girls was very important.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:14 pm Ah the phone book, remember it well. I remember impressing some girls by tearing one in half - actually not particularly difficult once you earned the technique, but it did look rather good back in the day, when impressing girls was very important.
That was one of my party pieces too. A quick snap of the spine and tear away!
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Don't go telling everybody. We could reprise it to impress the grandkids... if only there were some phonebooks about. the wee mini-yellow pages don't have the same effect
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:58 pm
solidarity wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:14 pm Ah the phone book, remember it well. I remember impressing some girls by tearing one in half - actually not particularly difficult once you earned the technique, but it did look rather good back in the day, when impressing girls was very important.
That was one of my party pieces too. A quick snap of the spine and tear away!
Still talking about phonebooks?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18