Ulster in Financial Trouble

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

WestDr
Novice

Re: Ulster in Financial Trouble

Post by WestDr »

Bobbievee wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:40 pm Replying to myself, a sign of madness in the lockdown. Eventually decided that I would not donate my £94. I was unsure how much of it would end up in IRFU, or subsidise designer t shirts for squad players to ponce around the Lisburn Road. So have taken the credit and will see what happens
Well Bobbie, UR don't appear to be able to redeem their playing shirts (and a great signed red one) from the Washing Well on the Cregagh Road as yet (I gather that they haven't paid the laundry bill yet so they're still hanging in the window) so perhaps the designer t-shirts option was one you've now closed off too... :D

Btw, as a matter of interest, has anyone ever seen a UR player in any other clothes than either (a) playing kit, (b) training kit or a variation thereof or (c) a dinner jacket ? I must have run into 10 or so over the past years at various times of the week and day (e.g. John Cooney in the Spar/garage on the Gilnahirk Road at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon) and all sightings have been in the (b) category.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Seen Shanners a couple of times in Belvoir Park recently in nornal leisure garb. Likewise, Cooney and a few others exercising their mutts on different occassions.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Ah, the Washing Well. My latte mother worked there when it opened in the 60s. Hope those shirts havnt been there since then!
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

That was late mother!
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Think really for Ulster it is a case of trying to live within our means in the medium term. The Paddy/Stuart debacle I imagine will impact the finances much longer than covid 19, but both a large short term shock and a more longer term shock have to have effects on the finances. If the IRFU are asking for 20% pay cuts and the English RFU are talking about cutting 1/4 of their workforce we are in for a time of reduced professional players and cuts in their salaries, so a bit of austerity ahead. I suppose the big question is how will they portion it across the provinces, if Munster are a financial disaster should they not be taking more of a hit, will the higher paid professional players take more of a hit too? I guess clubs in France or Japan that are financed by individuals will have their pick of whoever they want.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

French TV provides the Euros they have no other sport to invest in -- sky takes the football cycling tennis etc
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Will the cost of Charter flights reduce with so many planes and pilots idle ?
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Sue Dename
Novice

Post by Sue Dename »

ScottishBrain may have been a doubter, the debts are real.
Browne has to take some responsibility as he succumbed to pressure from Miss Vodafone and Miss BOI.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... Rj4J7rkEwk
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

Sue Dename wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:07 pm ScottishBrain may have been a doubter, the debts are real.
Browne has to take some responsibility as he succumbed to pressure from Miss Vodafone and Miss BOI.
Yea gotta love that article. I have to say I’ve never been a fan of Philip Browne and this just emphasises why. So his IRFU were donated a brand new stadia by the NI government. That saved them a few quid from capital expenditure that was long overdue - they appear to easily ignore/forget that fact. Ultimately the decisions in Dublin, as much as anything created the financial implications associated with the debacle (and other) fallouts of sorts that occurred around Paddy and Stu (I am not saying this to condone their actions).

After how that was handled I handed back my season tickets, tickets that I had held for 15+ years and I haven’t been back since. I don’t recognise the team anymore and it no longer feels a part of me, nor tbh does it appear from outside to feel much to do with Ulster these day - more of a Leinster suburb apparently.

The soul was lost that day and tbh it’s a shame to see, but I no longer care as I once did (very passionately). However, Mr Browne is glossing over his and the IRFU’s actions around that situation and ultimately they have a role in that financial black hole. As an organisation they lacked leadership, backbone and they were prepared to hang people out to dry in order to keep the money rolling. They allowed themselves to bow down to ill-informed, wholly irresponsible and unregulated pressure to save their own face and have at all times been very quick to shine a light elsewhere. The mainstream media didn’t have the cojones to call them out, in this overly PC world that we now inhabit. For that reason they were allowed to get away with some shameful and from a legal perspective slightly dubious decisions. It’s a shame that Irish Rugby is in financial trouble, but so are lots of businesses and people, so I care little for their troubles - just as they cared little for the troubles of a couple of young lads a few years back.
Last edited by Pimpmac on Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Good post Pimpmac.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Fintan
Novice

Post by Fintan »

Anyone know if when we play our first home match if any fans will be allowed in?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Fintan wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:57 pm Anyone know if when we play our first home match if any fans will be allowed in?
Could be 2021 before fans are allowed in. No sign of it in near/medium future.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Pimpmac wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:13 pm
Sue Dename wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:07 pm ScottishBrain may have been a doubter, the debts are real.
Yea gotta love that article. I have to say I’ve never been a fan of Philip Browne and this just emphasises why. So his IRFU were donated a brand new stadia by the NI government. That saved them a few quid from capital expenditure that was long overdue - they appear to easily ignore/forget that fact. Ultimately the decisions in Dublin, as much as anything created the financial implications associated with the debacle (and other) fallouts of sorts that occurred around Paddy and Stu (I am not saying this to condone their actions).

After how that was handled I handed back my season tickets, tickets that I had held for 15+ years and I haven’t been back since. I don’t recognise the team anymore and it no longer feels a part of me, nor tbh does it appear from outside to feel much to do with Ulster these day - more of a Leinster suburb apparently.

The soul was lost that day and tbh it’s a shame to see, but I no longer care as I once did (very passionately). However, Mr Browne is glossing over his and the IRFU’s actions around that situation and ultimately they have a role in that financial black hole. As an organisation they lacked leadership, backbone and they were prepared to hang people out to dry in order to keep the money rolling. They allowed themselves to bow down to ill-informed, wholly irresponsible and unregulated pressure to save their own face and have at all times been very quick to shine a light elsewhere. The mainstream media didn’t have the cojones to call them out, in this overly PC world that we now inhabit. For that reason they were allowed to get away with some shameful and from a legal perspective slightly dubious decisions. It’s a shame that Irish Rugby is in financial trouble, but so are lots of businesses and people, so I care little for their troubles - just as they cared little for the troubles of a couple of young lads a few years back.
Excellent post Pimpmac and exactly my sentiment on the whole thing. I had a season ticket for years, travelled Europe supporting the lads, bought all the merch, based many nights out around getting full in the ground before heading on when they turned the lights out.

I haven't been near the place since they succumbed to the feminazis. I had already been disillusioned with Ireland and wouldn't grace an Ireland game in Dublin again, it's full of blow-in Dublin socialites. Browne and co sold their soul to the corporation's and nut bars on social media at the expense of the people who actually financially supported them. I'm sure he knows this as well.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Pimp you’ve perfectly explained my feelings on Ulster rugby in that post, in fact it made me sad as it made me realise I’ll probably never be back at Kingspan and it’s not a decision I take lightly.
Fintan
Novice

Post by Fintan »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:09 pm
Fintan wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:57 pm Anyone know if when we play our first home match if any fans will be allowed in?
Could be 2021 before fans are allowed in. No sign of it in near/medium future.
So how come the GAA had fans in their county finals?