Big Nick

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Thelaw
Steward

Big Nick

Post by Thelaw »

Sad that see big nick hanging up the boots. Always enjoyed his runs knocking players out his way like schoolboys. Gave us great times at Ravenhill, and underappreciated by us I think. Good luck Nick
Dura lex sed lex
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Re: Big Nick

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Fond memories of Big Nick - he brightened up many an otherwise miserable Friday night. Of course he was a liability as well, but deadly from 3 yards out! The sight of Nick’s head bobbing in the middle of a maul with the ball held up above him in his massive paw will be forever etched in the memory!
Good luck and thanks Nick - forever an Ulsterman! :fleg:
Hope is not a strategy.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Was funny to see him carry a plate of ham and cheese to the coach at Parma.

Such a warrior on the pitch and a gentle giant >appl
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

How could you not like Big Nick? Always played with a big grin on his bake.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

A very controversial signing because of his period in Munster who proved to be a gem of signing who showed real commitment to the cause both on and off the field. The decision to release him was met with equal controversy as by then he had won the hearts of the fans.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Another Bryn Cunningham decision.........?
Or maybe under direction....?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Aird wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:12 pm A very controversial signing because of his period in Munster who proved to be a gem of signing who showed real commitment to the cause both on and off the field. The decision to release him was met with equal controversy as by then he had won the hearts of the fans.
I think he was offered the max 1 year extension as he was over 30, Cardiff offered him a 3 year contract.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

And we had to make room for some of the busload of up and coming Leinster backrowers?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Bobbievee wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:37 pm And we had to make room for some of the busload of up and coming Leinster backrowers?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _transfers

No, some lad called Coetzee and Piutau (who was a luxury signing) amongst others.
Last edited by Neill_M on Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Fair point
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

It was a pity that Charles did not show the same commitment that Nick did. I agree that Charles was a luxury which I suspect was maybe motivated by “ World Domination” by Bryn’s boss.
Vanhelsing
Novice

Post by Vanhelsing »

Good player sad to see him hang up his boots.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Let’s not forget that Nick was dismissed as a “busted flush” on this forum long before we parted company.

And had been shipping injuries at the time, tbf.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Aird wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:07 pm It was a pity that Charles did not show the same commitment that Nick did. I agree that Charles was a luxury which I suspect was maybe motivated by “ World Domination” by Bryn’s boss.
For me Charles commitment was never in doubt, he was professional but ultimately playing in a team that didn't have the upfront platform to cause as much damage as he could have.

Imagine Charles under McFarland with a pack that has cohesiveness and can at least gain parity with it's better on paper. With that platform he would of been devastating. He constantly created from nothing when at Ulster.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I agree.

He wasn’t a shirker.

I didn’t really like him at 15 but I think he’s played quite a lot there at Bristol.