Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

Post Reply
Silverstu
Novice
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 am

Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by Silverstu » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:37 am

Ulster vs Leinster
Aviva Stadium
Saturday 29 August, 7:35pm
Premier Sports /TG4

AOC and Hume out with concussion protocols, Luke Marshall isn't available so Stewart Moore is being talked up in the media. McFarland was planning on rotation - maybe Lyttle in for Gilroy on the wing? Not sure what forward resources we have to rotate unless one the young guys Alison or McCann get a chance, lock we are at Carter and Treadwell with David O'Connor on the bench [Mattie Rea could cover as well and Conor McMenamin was training with the seniors in preseason]. Tom Stewart and Gareth Milasinovich traveled with the team on Sunday so they are obviously close as well. I guess Marty and McGrath will start again to get them more gametime, the young props looked pretty sharp in the second half and Marty always needs gametime to get match fit and up to speed.

Guess at a team-

McGrath
Herring
Moore
Carter
Treadwell
Rea
Murphy
Coetzee
Mathewson
Burns
Lyttle
McCloskey
Moore
Ludik
Stockdale

Bayern
Squire
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by Bayern » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:39 am

Expected Leinster side:

1. Ed Byrne - 53 apps
2. Sean Cronin
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Ross Molony - 95 apps
5. Devin Toner
6. Josh Murphy - 32 apps
7. Will Connors - 16 apps
8. Max Deegan - 63 apps
9. JGP
10. Ross Byrne - 85 apps
11. Cian Kelleher
12. Ciaran Frawley - 25 apps
13. Rory O'Loughlin - 67 apps
14. Hugo Keenan - 14 apps
15. Rob Kearney
Last edited by Bayern on Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverstu
Novice
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 am

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by Silverstu » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:35 pm

Forgot there's also Rea Jr and Faddes available. Lyttle got a name check in the media so thats why I think he comes in, Gilroy is still out of form. Maybe some young guys on the bench but I've a feeling they may be held back until later in the year when the new season starts.
Also re-reading not entirely sure AOC is out for the weekend but Hume appears to be. Moore might be a good foil for McCloskey I just hope his defence holds up. Lots of young lads in that possible Leinster side but its all quality.

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5860
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by Neill_M » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Game live on Premier Sports 1 and Eir Sport 1. Delayed transmission at 9:35pm after the game on Saturday night on TG4.

Bayern
Squire
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by Bayern » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Silverstu wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:35 pm
Forgot there's also Rea Jr and Faddes available. Lyttle got a name check in the media so thats why I think he comes in, Gilroy is still out of form. Maybe some young guys on the bench but I've a feeling they may be held back until later in the year when the new season starts.
Also re-reading not entirely sure AOC is out for the weekend but Hume appears to be. Moore might be a good foil for McCloskey I just hope his defence holds up. Lots of young lads in that possible Leinster side but its all quality.
Not that many young lads in Leinster side, Frawley is the youngest at 22 and he has 25 apps for Leinster.

Then it's Deegan(23/63 apps), Connors(24/16 apps) and Keenan(24/14 apps)

Silverstu
Novice
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 am

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by Silverstu » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:06 pm

Bayern wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:55 pm
Silverstu wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:35 pm
Forgot there's also Rea Jr and Faddes available. Lyttle got a name check in the media so thats why I think he comes in, Gilroy is still out of form. Maybe some young guys on the bench but I've a feeling they may be held back until later in the year when the new season starts.
Also re-reading not entirely sure AOC is out for the weekend but Hume appears to be. Moore might be a good foil for McCloskey I just hope his defence holds up. Lots of young lads in that possible Leinster side but its all quality.
Not that many young lads in Leinster side, Frawley is the youngest at 22 and he has 25 apps for Leinster.

Then it's Deegan(23/63 apps), Connors(24/16 apps) and Keenan(24/14 apps)
Ah I thought a fair few where under 25- that said Leinster has quality through the wider squad so its not much of a difference - they've all decent amount of experience. They just seem like young guns to me!

Bayern
Squire
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by Bayern » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:14 pm

Silverstu wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:06 pm
Bayern wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:55 pm
Silverstu wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:35 pm
Forgot there's also Rea Jr and Faddes available. Lyttle got a name check in the media so thats why I think he comes in, Gilroy is still out of form. Maybe some young guys on the bench but I've a feeling they may be held back until later in the year when the new season starts.
Also re-reading not entirely sure AOC is out for the weekend but Hume appears to be. Moore might be a good foil for McCloskey I just hope his defence holds up. Lots of young lads in that possible Leinster side but its all quality.
Not that many young lads in Leinster side, Frawley is the youngest at 22 and he has 25 apps for Leinster.

Then it's Deegan(23/63 apps), Connors(24/16 apps) and Keenan(24/14 apps)
Ah I thought a fair few where under 25- that said Leinster has quality through the wider squad so its not much of a difference - they've all decent amount of experience. They just seem like young guns to me!
6 more starters are either 25 or 26 to be fair.

User avatar
thecrouch
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 5:26 pm
Location: Mexico

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by thecrouch » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Everyone's favourite clown is the referee for this one.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5860
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by Neill_M » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:33 pm

thecrouch wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:30 pm
Everyone's favourite clown is the referee for this one.
A decent referee from Munster like Joy Neville should be doing this game.

Jetstream
Novice
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by Jetstream » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:27 pm

According to the 42 multiple Ulster academy players have tested positive for Covid 19 plus 1 senior player isolating.
Will match go ahead?

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 12093
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by big mervyn » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:49 am

Jetstream wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:27 pm
According to the 42 multiple Ulster academy players have tested positive for Covid 19 plus 1 senior player isolating.
Will match go ahead?
At the minute yes.

If you want to spread it around, getting 23+ lads to play rugby against 69 strangers from ROI, Scotland and France is a good start.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

Silverstu
Novice
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 am

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by Silverstu » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:26 pm

The academy players are most likely to pick it up- that generation is going out a lot/having house parties and when they are infected aren't showing symptoms. Plus they tend to share houses/flats. Hopefully the precautions put in place will keep the rest of the players safe from it. But you would have hoped extra protocols for the academy players would have been put in place after the Munster situation..[to be clear - I'm not saying the academy players are necessarily going out and tearing it up but their peer group will be ..] Anyway more important things than a rugby match, if its cancelled its cancelled. Should find out today as the testing results come back for all staff and players.

Silverstu
Novice
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 am

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by Silverstu » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:50 pm

Game on- no positive cases in the senior squad-
RFU confirm that there have been no positive Covid results in the Ulster senior squad.

Leinster all clear too.

Both provinces cleared for Saturday's game at the Aviva.

There were 8 positive Covid-19 cases in the Ulster academy.

One player in Ulster's senior squad
was identified as a potential close contact of the 8 academy players.

He received a negative test result but will continue to self-isolate in line with public health advice.

All Ulster academy training remains suspended.
Via Murry Kinsella on Twitter.

Bayern
Squire
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by Bayern » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:00 pm

good news and bad...

8 in the academy.. yeesh.

jean valjean
Warrior Assassin
Posts: 1426
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Re: Ulster vs Leinster at the Aviva 29/8/20

Post by jean valjean » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:19 pm

So is the one senior member who is self isolating for 14 days now ineligible for the semi final? Even though they will have had possibly 2 negative tests by then.

Post Reply