Heineken Cup 2020/21

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Marco
Novice

Re: Heineken Cup 2020/21

Post by Marco »

Irish Indo - 21 May, Ruaidhri O'Connor

"The ten greatest champions cup moments"

30th January 1999, surely the first sign, of the potential of professional club rugby, a packed house on a wet winter day, the first win by an Irish province, not ranked in Mr O'Connor's top ten, hang your head in shame Sir!
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Several to choose from, but my choice for key moment, when the team ran onto the pitch and saluted the East Stand, spine tingling!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The size of these forwards. Not many sides will cope with them. Especially not us.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Dave wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:42 pm The size of these forwards. Not many sides will cope with them. Especially not us.
Agreed. Was watching the match and having a think about how many players we would need to cope, the answer is probably 5 or 6 forwards. Scary how far we are behind now.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Age went against La Rochelle. Ken Barlow was playing at scrum-half and they brought on a retiree in the 2nd half.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I wouldn’t want a pack quite that big, pace of game would be too slow for me, some of the islanders are not the best conditioned, and would be looking for breathers throughout the 2nd half slowing everything down.
That said We are defo a 2nd row lump missing, and backrow needs a nigh on total overhaul.

I was lucky enough to watch the demolition job against Toulouse 6/7 yrs ago at home, and our win against La Rochelle where fat Rodney did well locking the scrum.....both seem along time ago.

There is no point trying to mimic those sides, we can’t buy the players in, and there are very few like for like in Ire.
High skill, high pace, with enough dog to hold out is probably the way forward pack wise.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

For ROG if he has any sense he will never be head coach of any of the provinces. On the assumption in France he has a good owner then he would have a big budget, able to appoint whatever staff he wants, and able year on year to change the squad significantly. In Ireland he would have a more limited budget, influence from D4 and because such a high percentage of the players need to be Ireland qualified a lot less room to manoeuvre.
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

by Leinsterman » Fri May 21, 2021 7:19 pm

Ah I get all that but it looks like the Branch didn't think he was one worth keeping.
As for being insolvent, they really are in dire straits. A load of staff have been let go and not even with a "sure we expect to re-employ you in a few months" message. Overall, the pro game is in a very bad way. The new TV deal will help but the financial turmoil has destroyed a lot of the community work and all the other ancillary stuff that Leinster have been doing.

Picked the above up from Planet Rugby, I didn't realise things were so financially tight in Dublin. How are Ulster surviving? Munster is even a bigger mystery.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Lurgan Lad wrote:For ROG if he has any sense he will never be head coach of any of the provinces. On the assumption in France he has a good owner then he would have a big budget, able to appoint whatever staff he wants, and able year on year to change the squad significantly. In Ireland he would have a more limited budget, influence from D4 and because such a high percentage of the players need to be Ireland qualified a lot less room to manoeuvre.
ROG has zero chill on the sidelines. He was demanding yellow cards and yelling at the touch judges.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Rog is on a hiding to nothing if he ever takes the munster job. The vast majority of coaching jobs end in failure and it would be hard for him to go from it to the ireland top job. If I were him i would want to go straight from France to the ireland job and then see out his days at munster (like zeebs).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Why would ROG want to move anywhere anytime soon? He ought to be thinking about the Top 14 this year or next and the big European one next year or pretty soon.