Pro 14 Final vs Leinster, Sept 12th.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Pro 14 Final vs Leinster, Sept 12th.

Post by BR »

Leinster firsts beat Leinster thirds convincingly. Hardly a shock.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

They were better all over the park, our mantra is fight for every inch, there's is obviously don't give a fecking millimetre, and they didn't. we still haven't developed a plan b. all we can do is learn from a phenomenal rugby club. Fair play to them!
sombrerohead
Novice

Post by sombrerohead »

therealspratt wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:09 pm
thecrouch wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:12 am
Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:57 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:25 pm I think ruddock must be questioning his future now, would he be worth a punt to try and nab? He would amd should probably go for a payday however given how Jordi et al's ireland prospects have gone.
Yeah because we need more second rate Leinster players. Coming North makes your Ireland chances worse. We have consistently the best 9 and 12 for at least two seasons, neither of them get a fair crack at international level. No player wants to come to Ulster to play for Ireland, it doesn't happen.
Ruddock is class, but honestly I'm sick of the expectation that Ulster must suckle at the teat of Leinster and happily lap up their rejects.

The whole setup of rugby in Ireland is a joke. I'd love to know what the wage bill is in D4 compared to everywhere else, yet we're all expected to abide by the same rules.
Maybe if we produced the players who could demand that sort of wage bill then we'd deserve it too. Our expenditure on players from outside our development system surely greatly exceeds Leinster, they've Lowe, Fardy, Gibson Park, Cronin and Henshaw.
Whatever about wage bills and remember Leinster have to rent the RDS, I still think Leinster could do with a big name signing.
Never really heard of JGP or Lowe before they arrived, Fardy is a bit of a penalty machine.
Tomane was injured/took time to fit in.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Forget about Leinster. You have a much bigger game this Sunday. Ulster's season will either end or continue and you will know how you measure up against teams from another league.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Dublin4 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:47 pm Forget about Leinster. You have a much bigger game this Sunday. Ulster's season will either end or continue and you will know how you measure up against teams from another league.
True, D4, true.

We'll give it a real rattle so long as we don't go down by a couple of scores early. I don't think Toulon are unbeatable so a glory day beckons :fleg:

Of course another scenario is that we go two scores down, they assume they've got it won and go to sleep, we come back and they go all French and implode. :fleg:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:04 pm
Dublin4 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:47 pm Forget about Leinster. You have a much bigger game this Sunday. Ulster's season will either end or continue and you will know how you measure up against teams from another league.
True, D4, true.

We'll give it a real rattle so long as we don't go down by a couple of scores early. I don't think Toulon are unbeatable so a glory day beckons :fleg:

Of course another scenario is that we go two scores down, they assume they've got it won and go to sleep, we come back and they go all French and implode. :fleg:
That's true but we're playing Toulouse >EW
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:44 pm
True, D4, true.

Hopefully we're playing tou win ;)
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

leinster have been extremely lucky in the number of quality back row players they have produced in the last 20 years and have the best organised defence in NH because of it. ( living on the edge of offside helps as well)

Their attack is limited to some degree and based on penalties in to their opponents 22 a few flying wedges ( pre- bound on the carrier) forward rushes to suck the opposing defence in and then putting the ball wide.

Most when considering saturdays game forget the first half -- at half time Ulster went in 5 points down and still in the game an easy penalty early in the second half gave Leinster a comfort zone -- pressure on Ulster -- and Billy Burns hits auto- idiot a flat pass without looking .... game over.

Hence the some strange subbing by Ulster with this week in mind.

Ulster are not as good as we would like them to be but not as bad as some think.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

rumncoke wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:56 pm Ulster are not as good as we would like them to be but not as bad as some think.
This sums up my feelings well Rum. We played well in patches and were unlucky with the interception try - but Leinster are a much better side and have an amazing array of talent at their disposal.
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

We have all accepted Leinster are a machine and there is no doubt something odd about their financial structure and the support they get from IRFU for players and support staff which does not translate to Ulster Rugby. I also agree we are not as good as we thought we were but not as bad as some are painting us.
Looking for positives against a Leinster team unbeaten by anyone in Pro 14 all season I would begin with the two young props. They never gave ground, held the scrum this week against Leinster and last week against a much fancied Edinburgh front row. Mattie Rea comes in for lots of criticism from some quarters but is this any more than his second year at this level ditto Hume Lowry and Lyttle. Between them that is just over a third of our starting team who in real terms are inexperienced, are only recently through academy and hopefully they will be with us for some time.
The addition of Mathewson has put into play a real backup for Cooney but Burns is not International standard either kicking out of hand for distance or goal kicking. Having watched LI recently how I wish for PJ to change him name hair colour and return and produce some real zippy flat passes and kick for distance and goal for us.
I feel we are progressing and will continue to do so and while I would like every player to be home grown I do not think there is anywhere in the world out side of NZ where that is a feature. We are therefore going to get players from shores near and far to play for us and when they do lets not label them as anybodies castoff. Who did Cooney and Coteeze get castoff from.
Lets support them win or lose so long as they put in effort and learn and get behind them for another important match on Sunday.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

I’d rather be us than Munster.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:35 am
big mervyn wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:44 pm
True, D4, true.

Hopefully we're playing tou win ;)
Yesterday was a long day. :roll: :roll:

Toulouse are half way down the Top 14 with as many losses as wins. We can do it. :fleg:
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Some Squidge analysis. Forgive his misidentification of Marty Moore.

https://youtu.be/aMOfTqz741c