Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

Post Reply
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6071
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by Neill_M » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:08 pm

📺 - Premier Sports 1 and Eir Sport 2 live. Highlights on TG4 10:25pm

600 punters allowed in as a test event.

User avatar
Setanta
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4858
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:27 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by Setanta » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:19 pm

Also on DAZN Switzerland.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6347
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by damianmcr » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:46 pm

The Ulster Rugby Medical Performance Team has issued a squad update ahead of Friday’s Guinness PRO14 Round 1 fixture against Benetton at Kingspan Stadium.


Kyle McCall sustained a concussion in the recent Ulster ‘A’ Inter-pro fixture against Leinster and will follow Return to Play protocols. Ethan McIlroy (ankle) was also injured during this match and, as a result, is unavailable for selection this week.

Tom Stewart (hamstring) was injured in training on Monday and is currently unavailable for selection.

Stuart McCloskey (elbow) and Billy Burns (calf) sustained injuries in the Heineken Champions Cup Quarter-Final game against Toulouse. Both will be unavailable for selection this week.

Tom O’Toole, who suffered an ankle injury in the PRO14 Final, will be unavailable for a period of several weeks.

Will Addison has suffered a setback whilst rehabilitating his back injury, and he has recently undergone surgery. He will be unavailable for selection for several months.

The above players join Andrew Warwick (hip), Luke Marshall (hip), Angus Curtis (knee), and Robert Baloucoune (hamstring) on the current injured list.

Squad updates in association with The Ulster Independent Clinic.

Fintan
Novice
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:28 pm
Location: County Down

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by Fintan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:49 pm

Doubtful Addison will be back at all before end of his contract.

justinr73
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2885
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by justinr73 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:22 pm

He’s signed up until 2022.

Let’s hope the surgeon sorts him out.

Off the Top
Initiate
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:40 am
Location: Carrickfergus

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by Off the Top » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:46 pm

Given that Benetton are going to be under cooked in term of match practice - do you think Ulster will go with a experimental backline of:

Stockdale/Faddes, Lyttle, Hume, Moore, Sexton/Stockdale, Lowry and Cooney.

colind
Squire
Posts: 716
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:13 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by colind » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:49 pm

It will be interesting to see if Lowry gets a shot at starting at 10 after his last performance.

Sure if he's going to be trusted with the 10 shirt a match against Benetton is an ideal one to start with.

:fleg:

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6892
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by rumncoke » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:01 pm

Benetton are not a stupid side and not to be underestimated -- if Lowry was to considered at out half the A game would have been the game for the try out -- Madigan will be the out half and i would expect Johnston on the bench

Stockdale at full back and Lowry on the wing . Moore and Hume in the centre.

My opinion of Lowry at out half is already stated sometime ago and the Toulouse game justified the opinion -- a mini Carberry requiring a back row forward to "ride shotgun " on his shoulder. Ulster's back row is not that strong or good. Lowry gets isolated playing out half and is too easily made the source of penalties. The opposition lift him up ball and all.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist

User avatar
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3633
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:49 pm
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)
Contact:

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by Gary » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:51 pm

Luckily Rum, your opinion differs from those of the players and coaches. If Madigan is playing, I assume Lowry would be at 15 and covering 10. Would be ludicrous putting a 10 on the bench when there are 2 already on the team.
I have a cunning plan...why not just leave things as they are but tell the Brexiteers that we have left the EU? After all they believe every lie that they were told by Boris and Nigel.

User avatar
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2085
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by kingofthehill » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:57 pm

rumncoke wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:01 pm
Benetton are not a stupid side and not to be underestimated -- if Lowry was to considered at out half the A game would have been the game for the try out -- Madigan will be the out half and i would expect Johnston on the bench

Stockdale at full back and Lowry on the wing . Moore and Hume in the centre.

My opinion of Lowry at out half is already stated sometime ago and the Toulouse game justified the opinion -- a mini Carberry requiring a back row forward to "ride shotgun " on his shoulder. Ulster's back row is not that strong or good. Lowry gets isolated playing out half and is too easily made the source of penalties. The opposition lift him up ball and all.
Thank god the ulster management don’t read this forum.
The King is dead. Long live the King.

User avatar
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2085
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by kingofthehill » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:59 pm

Gary wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:51 pm
Luckily Rum, your opinion differs from those of the players and coaches. If Madigan is playing, I assume Lowry would be at 15 and covering 10. Would be ludicrous putting a 10 on the bench when there are 2 already on the team.
Lowry will be 10.
With Stu, Will and Luke out it only really leaves Hume and Moore for centre pairing.
The King is dead. Long live the King.

Bobbievee
Novice
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:36 pm

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by Bobbievee » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:41 pm

kingofthehill wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:57 pm
rumncoke wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:01 pm
Benetton are not a stupid side and not to be underestimated -- if Lowry was to considered at out half the A game would have been the game for the try out -- Madigan will be the out half and i would expect Johnston on the bench

Stockdale at full back and Lowry on the wing . Moore and Hume in the centre.

My opinion of Lowry at out half is already stated sometime ago and the Toulouse game justified the opinion -- a mini Carberry requiring a back row forward to "ride shotgun " on his shoulder. Ulster's back row is not that strong or good. Lowry gets isolated playing out half and is too easily made the source of penalties. The opposition lift him up ball and all.
Thank god the ulster management don’t read this forum.

I have always suspected Rumn is Ulster management!

justinr73
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2885
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by justinr73 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:08 am

kingofthehill wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:59 pm
Gary wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:51 pm
Luckily Rum, your opinion differs from those of the players and coaches. If Madigan is playing, I assume Lowry would be at 15 and covering 10. Would be ludicrous putting a 10 on the bench when there are 2 already on the team.
Lowry will be 10.
With Stu, Will and Luke out it only really leaves Hume and Moore for centre pairing.
That would be great to see.

Moore at 12 going by the other night.

Madigan an option at inside centre and Faddes at 13 though.

Even Louis 13 at a push maybe. I hope he isn’t going to suffer unduly for missing the fella at Edinburgh a couple of times. He was hardly the first to to be put on his hole.

User avatar
Tap+Go
Novice
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by Tap+Go » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:31 am

kingofthehill wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:59 pm
Gary wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:51 pm
Luckily Rum, your opinion differs from those of the players and coaches. If Madigan is playing, I assume Lowry would be at 15 and covering 10. Would be ludicrous putting a 10 on the bench when there are 2 already on the team.
Lowry will be 10.
With Stu, Will and Luke out it only really leaves Hume and Moore for centre pairing.
Really tough news on Addison - hoping surgery success for him. No news on Luke in the injury update again - I’m taking it that’s necessarily good news given previous issues, anyone any more info on him as he’s a big miss?

Hope young Lowry gets a shot at 10 & does well. I have big concerns on his size and this being targeted but he seems to come alive at 10 and get things moving. Think he gets somewhat isolated and dominated at 15 so hoping he can get a run at 10 and do the business as don’t think Burns has the quality long term. Players like Kolbe & De Klerk are obviously small but have developed strength so may be just a case of Lowry continue to develop physically - as I say wishing the young man well!

Silverstu
Initiate
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 am

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by Silverstu » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:06 am

Lowry-Moore -Hume would be a very young midfield but I'd love to see it- very exciting potential, Sexton on the wing would be great as well but might be going a little far in adding youth to the side.

McCann in the back row with Marcel would be what I'd go for - it would give McCann a bit of room to get into the game and a serious bit of backup. The other two in the pack I'd add would be Reid and maybe Rea Jr, Reid needs a chance to get ahead of McCall and Warwick and Rea Jr deserves another shot at the team.

Post Reply