Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by jean valjean »

Humph played the semi, but was dropped for the final i thought. His pass in the build up to gilroys try was superb.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Semi finsl team:

Ulster: Stefan Terblanche; Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave, Paddy Wallace, Craig Gilroy; Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar; Tom Court, Rory Best, Declan Fitzpatrick; Johann Muller (captain), Dan Tuohy; Stephen Ferris, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg.

Replacements: Paddy McAllister for Court 77, Adam Macklin for Fitzpatrick 65, Lewis Stevenson for Ferris 77, Robbie Diack for Faloon 73.

Not used: Nigel Brady, Paul Marshall, Ian Humphreys, Adam D'Arcy
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Cracking starting XV.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

TopPoster wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:35 pm Cracking starting XV.
Agree, absolutely.

How many of our current squad would make that team?

Ulster: Will Addison; Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave, Paddy Wallace, Jacob Stockdale; Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar; Tom Court, Rory Best, Marty Moore; Johann Muller (captain), Iain Henderson; Stephen Ferris, Marcel Coetzee, Pedrie Wannenburg.

Could argue that Gilroy 2012 was in better form than Stockdale 2020
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Yeah my bad, forgot the munster game was the qf.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

TopPoster wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:35 pm Cracking starting XV.
They all put a quare shift in too. Only Deccie Fitz subbed after 65 mins and then a few at the very death. Reflective of the bench I suppose.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

No 9 I would have McCloskey and even L Marshall ahead of Wallace -- at 12

Marshall can be as creative as Wallace was

Despite the fact that Wallace has more International caps than either and possible both combined . I always considered Paddy had the advantage of O'D patronage having played together in the U20s. And the possible fact that O'D had a substantial input in to team selection either directly or indirectly..

Paddy was a very creative player with substantial weaknesses similar to Lowry guts aplenty but too light weight to be effective.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

rumncoke wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:14 am
Paddy was a very creative player with substantial weaknesses similar to Lowry guts aplenty but too light weight to be effective.
I see Wales have called up 5ft8" Irish and English qualified out half Callum Sheedy to their Six Nations squad.

Having established himself as Bristol Bears first choice out half, he played for England versus The Barbarians in an uncapped game.

Thoughts Rumn ......
Blackskulllad
Novice

Post by Blackskulllad »

Would have Terblanche at fifteen. In the short time he was here he was class
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Blackskulllad wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:06 pm Would have Terblanche at fifteen. In the short time he was here he was class
Terblanche was one of the most elegant players I've seen. I'd have him in any team.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:24 pm
Blackskulllad wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:06 pm Would have Terblanche at fifteen. In the short time he was here he was class
Terblanche was one of the most elegant players I've seen. I'd have him in any team.
Me too. Fantastic brain. Always seemed to have plenty of time and space despite being old enough to have fathered the Academy.
Last edited by big mervyn on Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Neville Southall
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Agreed re Terblanche was speaking to him at the airport at Clermont after our defeat and he told me that he had played at most of if not all the major rugby stadiums ( he said this as a modest statement of fact not a boast ) and that he has never experienced an atmosphere like that at Clermont.
Remember the guy had retired from Rugby and came to help out As a medical joker when Jarred was injured. He didn’t owe Ulster anything but played some fantastic rugby with real commitment. I think he came as personal favour to Mueller and from rumours he has continued to support Ulster recommending the club to a number of South African signings.
His arrival was at time when Belfast and N.ireland were far from a No.1 tourist destination but he came.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

He's still a fan. He would post on social media before big games. He was pure class.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

World class player on the pitch and a real good guy off it. His commitment, given he was on a short term arrangement, was astonishing! I remember him coming back on to the pitch at Ravenhill after playing a full 80+ and putting younger players to shame by doing half and full length full-on sprints - and he was, what 38 or 39 at the time? He even said he would come back if asked! :fleg:
Hope is not a strategy.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I see the Italians have named 20 year old Paulo Garbisi, the guy we all thought looked very good against us at out half for their fixture against Ireland.