Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by Neill_M »

📺 - Premier Sports 1 and Eir Sport 2 live. Highlights on TG4 10:25pm

600 punters allowed in as a test event.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by Setanta »

Also on DAZN Switzerland.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

The Ulster Rugby Medical Performance Team has issued a squad update ahead of Friday’s Guinness PRO14 Round 1 fixture against Benetton at Kingspan Stadium.

Kyle McCall sustained a concussion in the recent Ulster ‘A’ Inter-pro fixture against Leinster and will follow Return to Play protocols. Ethan McIlroy (ankle) was also injured during this match and, as a result, is unavailable for selection this week.

Tom Stewart (hamstring) was injured in training on Monday and is currently unavailable for selection.

Stuart McCloskey (elbow) and Billy Burns (calf) sustained injuries in the Heineken Champions Cup Quarter-Final game against Toulouse. Both will be unavailable for selection this week.

Tom O’Toole, who suffered an ankle injury in the PRO14 Final, will be unavailable for a period of several weeks.

Will Addison has suffered a setback whilst rehabilitating his back injury, and he has recently undergone surgery. He will be unavailable for selection for several months.

The above players join Andrew Warwick (hip), Luke Marshall (hip), Angus Curtis (knee), and Robert Baloucoune (hamstring) on the current injured list.

Squad updates in association with The Ulster Independent Clinic.
Fintan
Novice

Post by Fintan »

Doubtful Addison will be back at all before end of his contract.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He’s signed up until 2022.

Let’s hope the surgeon sorts him out.
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

Given that Benetton are going to be under cooked in term of match practice - do you think Ulster will go with a experimental backline of:

Stockdale/Faddes, Lyttle, Hume, Moore, Sexton/Stockdale, Lowry and Cooney.
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

It will be interesting to see if Lowry gets a shot at starting at 10 after his last performance.

Sure if he's going to be trusted with the 10 shirt a match against Benetton is an ideal one to start with.

:fleg:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Benetton are not a stupid side and not to be underestimated -- if Lowry was to considered at out half the A game would have been the game for the try out -- Madigan will be the out half and i would expect Johnston on the bench

Stockdale at full back and Lowry on the wing . Moore and Hume in the centre.

My opinion of Lowry at out half is already stated sometime ago and the Toulouse game justified the opinion -- a mini Carberry requiring a back row forward to "ride shotgun " on his shoulder. Ulster's back row is not that strong or good. Lowry gets isolated playing out half and is too easily made the source of penalties. The opposition lift him up ball and all.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Luckily Rum, your opinion differs from those of the players and coaches. If Madigan is playing, I assume Lowry would be at 15 and covering 10. Would be ludicrous putting a 10 on the bench when there are 2 already on the team.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

rumncoke wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:01 pm Benetton are not a stupid side and not to be underestimated -- if Lowry was to considered at out half the A game would have been the game for the try out -- Madigan will be the out half and i would expect Johnston on the bench

My opinion of Lowry at out half is already stated sometime ago and the Toulouse game justified the opinion -- a mini Carberry requiring a back row forward to "ride shotgun " on his shoulder. Ulster's back row is not that strong or good. Lowry gets isolated playing out half and is too easily made the source of penalties. The opposition lift him up ball and all.
Thank god the ulster management don’t read this forum.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Gary wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:51 pm Luckily Rum, your opinion differs from those of the players and coaches. If Madigan is playing, I assume Lowry would be at 15 and covering 10. Would be ludicrous putting a 10 on the bench when there are 2 already on the team.
Lowry will be 10.
With Stu, Will and Luke out it only really leaves Hume and Moore for centre pairing.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

kingofthehill wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:57 pm
rumncoke wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:01 pm Benetton are not a stupid side and not to be underestimated -- if Lowry was to considered at out half the A game would have been the game for the try out -- Madigan will be the out half and i would expect Johnston on the bench

Thank god the ulster management don’t read this forum.

I have always suspected Rumn is Ulster management!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

kingofthehill wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:59 pm
Gary wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:51 pm Luckily Rum, your opinion differs from those of the players and coaches. If Madigan is playing, I assume Lowry would be at 15 and covering 10. Would be ludicrous putting a 10 on the bench when there are 2 already on the team.
Lowry will be 10.
With Stu, Will and Luke out it only really leaves Hume and Moore for centre pairing.
That would be great to see.

Moore at 12 going by the other night.

Madigan an option at inside centre and Faddes at 13 though.

Even Louis 13 at a push maybe. I hope he isn’t going to suffer unduly for missing the fella at Edinburgh a couple of times. He was hardly the first to to be put on his hole.
Tap+Go
Novice

Post by Tap+Go »

kingofthehill wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:59 pm
Lowry will be 10.
Really tough news on Addison - hoping surgery success for him. No news on Luke in the injury update again - I’m taking it that’s necessarily good news given previous issues, anyone any more info on him as he’s a big miss?

Hope young Lowry gets a shot at 10 & does well. I have big concerns on his size and this being targeted but he seems to come alive at 10 and get things moving. Think he gets somewhat isolated and dominated at 15 so hoping he can get a run at 10 and do the business as don’t think Burns has the quality long term. Players like Kolbe & De Klerk are obviously small but have developed strength so may be just a case of Lowry continue to develop physically - as I say wishing the young man well!
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Lowry-Moore -Hume would be a very young midfield but I'd love to see it- very exciting potential, Sexton on the wing would be great as well but might be going a little far in adding youth to the side.

McCann in the back row with Marcel would be what I'd go for - it would give McCann a bit of room to get into the game and a serious bit of backup. The other two in the pack I'd add would be Reid and maybe Rea Jr, Reid needs a chance to get ahead of McCall and Warwick and Rea Jr deserves another shot at the team.