Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by rumncoke »

Silverstu

We won nothing with Ian Humphries -- is the short answer no team can go onto a pitch with an obvious weakness and win consistently.

over 50% of the game is defence . Leinster win matches because of their defence . they wait for the penalty into the corner to launch their forward power.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Rumn - I seem to remember us winning a fair few games with Ian Humph at 10, even taking us to a Heiny Final. Ian was a more mature out half as well, but generally not interested in tackling.
My point is Lowry should be given the chance to develop at 10, both in attack in defence- he is capable and has the intent, if he can adapt his frame and technique to that position he could be excellent. He has the same build as Kolbe, who plays for the Boks, despite folks saying he is too small for international rugby and I'm sure they won something recently.
You might be right and it might not work out but I think it looks worth trying as the lad is a talent. Just my uneducated opinion ;)

In response to Leinster and their defence and forward power- we aren't Leinster, and I'd say our backline is looking a lot more exciting in attack, we don't have to replicate Leinster style of play to be successful, more their squad depth and their pursuit of excellence.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I doubt lowry could hand off big stu the way kolbe did. Being the same size and weight does not equate to similar power. All the great wee ones, robinson, Williams etc were extremely powerful for their size which is what is needed at the highest level. Lowry must survive based on technique and I think he can.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:00 pm I doubt lowry could hand off big stu the way kolbe did. Being the same size and weight does not equate to similar power. All the great wee ones, robinson, Williams etc were extremely powerful for their size which is what is needed at the highest level. Lowry must survive based on technique and I think he can.
The guy has just turned 22! 25 and he will have naturally filled out like Kolbe and Giteau.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Do I remember a defensive set up in which a wing forward or someone else bigger than the fly half took his place and the 10 covered behind?

By the way, what was he wearing on his feet?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Lowry does need to bulk out, and for someone so short he didn't appear to get low enough quite a few times. Clearly a very promising talent, king how far do you think he can go?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Robinson and Williams didn't play 10 -- its a key position on the pitch -- and having to shuffle your back line when going into defence is not necessarily the answer -- all it does is shift the point of weakness .

Unfortunately talent and guts are not the requirements of success in professional rugby . A sound defence is . The margin at the top in professional rugby between the best sides comes down frequently to -- a sound defence to keep you in the game -- a reliable place kicker to slot the penalties --and a coach who can devise the unexpected move to create a try. -- occasionally it comes down to an individual piece of magic from an underrated unknown .

two season ago Stockdale was scoring at nearly every opportunity given to him -- underrated and unknown -- for the last two years he has been marked out of the game and now seldom gets on the score sheet . ( granted there are other factors at play but the truth is he is a marked man who gets closed down quickly by two or three players .

Benetton was a reasonable opposition to play Lowry at 10 given the nam of the match ratings so far I don't think the experiment could be called a resounding success .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

kingofthehill wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:44 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:00 pm I doubt lowry could hand off big stu the way kolbe did. Being the same size and weight does not equate to similar power. All the great wee ones, robinson, Williams etc were extremely powerful for their size which is what is needed at the highest level. Lowry must survive based on technique and I think he can.
The guy has just turned 22! 25 and he will have naturally filled out like Kolbe and Giteau.
He’s got plenty of time.

I’m still filling out at 47.

After about 10,000 pints.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:15 am
kingofthehill wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:44 pm
He’s got plenty of time.

I’m still filling out at 47.

After about 10,000 pints.
Ack ffs take a long hard look in the mirror. That's averaging less than a pint a day of your drinking age life....... assuming you had your first pint at 18 :-)
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

In my defence, I’ve largely stuck to wine and gin and tonic for some time!

Lowry should have spent lockdown eating and drinking nothing but steak and stout.

That’s perfectly obvious, GCSE in Strength and Conditioning or not.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

How big is Gareth Milasinovich? It's not often you can sub a unit like Marty Moore and not lose any timer with the replacement (albeit Gareth's mass seems much more resistant to gravity than Marty Moore's). A ball carrier with his mass should be a great asset this season.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

thought that myself Ger - he's a big enough lump alright, though whether that translates into power is another thing. Though he blancmange'd at contact before the tryline at one point when a score was there but it might just be rustiness. Good to see him out there anway; was it O'Callaghan that thought he could be a fairly serious operator whilst at Wuss?
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

I agree that Marty Moore is not the most athletic looking forward on the field but he has the happy knack of appearing in the right spot at the right moment and his handling means that he can distribute the ball very effectively. Yes he is unlikely to score from his own 22 but if you watch him you will see that he is a very crafty and effective operator.
I thought McCann showed up well in his cameo appearance and looked like a gent who wasn’t going to be messed about by anyone. The Ulster backrow may not have the strength in depth that Leinster have but it is beginning to show signs of a problem for Dan in deciding who to omit from the team. I would like to see Marcus Rea get a run out from the bench this might foster a bit of sibling rivalry.
I liked David O’Connor’s attitude when he came on you could see the family trait, I am hoping that he will be one of those late developers.
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

Aird wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:38 pm I liked David O’Connor’s attitude when he came on you could see the family trait, I am hoping that he will be one of those late developers.
Ageed! Always seems keen and hungry. Has some aggression as well! Always wonder could he do a job at Blindside. If he developed like Alan did! We’d be very lucky!
Fintan
Novice

Post by Fintan »

Silverstu wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:52 am Rumn - I seem to remember us winning a fair few games with Ian Humph at 10, even taking us to a Heiny Final.
I think you will after his poor performance in the Thomond IH was dropped for the Semi.
It was PJ who took us to the final.