Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday October 2nd 8:15pm KO

Post by thecrouch »

I don't understand how Carter gets picked ahead of Treadwell.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

22 games unbeaten in Belfast.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

solidarity wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:16 pm
Loki wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:10 pm Good stuff! Enjoyable game, fairly impressed with all the young ones - Moore and Hume looked good throughout, McCann did well when he came on, glad McBurney got a good try after the Connacht foul-ups. Lots to build on there.
Perhaps that's really the best way to look at it. Lots of issues to deal with but the young lads were grand so, indeed, lots to build on.
This!

I don't mind us losing or making mistakes if we are giving youngsters game time and growing our depth. Dan could have bottled it and put Madigan, Ludik or Faddes into the centre but he blooded Moore and it was the right call in my mind.

Thought Lowry did very well at out half, bearing in mind he hasn't actually played much senior rugby at 10. Treviso targeted him and he stood up well.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Sorry to harp on the subject but disappointed in Carter’s performance tonight again. I thought that the relatively inexperienced David O Connor showed a lot more commitment when he came on. It was good also to see some young forwards like McBurney and McCann showing up well and that some forwards are coming through from the Acafemy.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Am I the only one unimpressed with the absolute size of Marty Moore? The guy looks like he has eaten a prop. How on earth does a professional end up in that shape?

It wouldn't be so bad if he was putting the opposition loosehead into reverse in the scrum, but he's not. And that much weight is seriously limiting his involvement in open play.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

I thought Marty made an excellent contribution to tonight game. For such a big man he has really soft hands and distributes the ball well in tight situations. Added to that he lasted 65- 70 minutes which is a good stint for a prop these days

I can't judge how well he scrums - but the Ulster scrum looked very steady. I think he had a good game.

Carter on the other hand looked off the pace.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Off the Top wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:27 am I thought Marty made an excellent contribution to tonight game. For such a big man he has really soft hands and distributes the ball well in tight situations. Added to that he lasted 65- 70 minutes which is a good stint for a prop these days

I can't judge how well he scrums - but the Ulster scrum looked very steady. I think he had a good game.

Carter on the other hand looked off the pace.

Agree on Marty Moore. Scrum was fine, certainly put himself about and seemed to make his fair share of tackles and decent ones at that. If you look past him physically (not easy !) I thought he did well tonight.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Carter looked like he woke up in the last 10 mins before he was subbed but thought he was disappointing before that. I am all for giving him some time as he didnt play much pre injury but really needs to up his game.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

our defence was iffy due to a light out half -- guts unfortunately are not sufficient -- if the opposition break the gain line at 10 -- the centres are in no-mans-land -- therefore lying back allowing the opposition out side players the ability to come at speed. Thus having to play too much and too often inside their own 22.

Stockdale is dangerous coming forward from full back his position at times is questionable and he has to learn that length of kick is no the necessarily the best option -- sometimes kicking into the stands is preferable -- allowing the defence to organise ;nothing worse than providing a strong back the opportunity of running back at pace at a disorganised defence you end up still inside your 22 .

A tricky opposition to play for an opening game with basically an experimental, 10 12 13 with hardly 10 games between them thus a nice bonus try win in the end.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Moore will never look athletic but he is a fantastic tight head prop. I'd like to remind everyone of the state our scrum was in before he arrived, culminating in Connacht beating us at Ravenhill. Bring back Dave Ryan (who?) Ah You, I hear nobody say. He goes into a trio over the past decade with Botha and Afoa that can take the heat at scrum time in big European games. We went through a two / three season period whereby we didn't have a tight head that could be relied upon to lock down a scrum. As mentioned he has a lovely set of soft hands for a prop, his tip pass is lovely, his deft touch in the score away to Clermont last year was beautiful. He gets around the park well for his size and wins his collisions in the pillar position regularly.

There are certain quarters in this forum think size is everything, I'd like Lowry to take a bow, Treviso targeted him in their attack last night and he shut them down repeatedly.

Lowry Moore and Hume was very exciting to watch. Very rough around the edges but the talent is there. Nice break by McCann when he came on, his emergence is maybe what Rea Snr needed as he produced a man of the match performance. Please make Sexton the next young lad to give game time Dan.

Lineout for me was another positive. It faltered towards the end a bit but overall was pleasing. It's an area of our game needs work on.

In general lots of mistakes but nothing that with good coaching (which we seem to have in abundance) cannot be sorted.

Had the feeling of a first game of the season about it.

Big applause to our opposition, their back three was very dangerous, upfront they were hard and well drilled. If they keep that level of performance up they'll push for league play offs come the end of the season, Kieran Crowley another good head coach.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Fabulous game !
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Enjoyed the game and never felt we would lose even after going behind. The passive defence was a worry but the youngsters in the backs get a pass a this is training ground thing not related to ability or commitment. The restarts reminded me of 4-5 years ago when we couldn't catch a cold and I'm sure Dan will be disappointed in that. Looking forward to seeing more of S Moore, he looked composed and confident which is a good sign of better things to come. Is there a reason he played at 12 and hume 13? I always considered them to be the other way round ultimately but getting them on the pitch is the important thing for now.
Tap+Go
Novice

Post by Tap+Go »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:00 am Moore will never look athletic but he is a fantastic tight head prop. I'd like to remind everyone of the state our scrum was in before he arrived, culminating in Connacht beating us at Ravenhill. Bring back Dave Ryan (who?) Ah You, I hear nobody say. He goes into a trio over the past decade with Botha and Afoa that can take the heat at scrum time in big European games. We went through a two / three season period whereby we didn't have a tight head that could be relied upon to lock down a scrum. As mentioned he has a lovely set of soft hands for a prop, his tip pass is lovely, his deft touch in the score away to Clermont last year was beautiful. He gets around the park well for his size and wins his collisions in the pillar position regularly.

There are certain quarters in this forum think size is everything, I'd like Lowry to take a bow, Treviso targeted him in their attack last night and he shut them down repeatedly.

Lowry Moore and Hume was very exciting to watch. Very rough around the edges but the talent is there. Nice break by McCann when he came on, his emergence is maybe what Rea Snr needed as he produced a man of the match performance. Please make Sexton the next young lad to give game time Dan.

Lineout for me was another positive. It faltered towards the end a bit but overall was pleasing. It's an area of our game needs work on.

In general lots of mistakes but nothing that with good coaching (which we seem to have in abundance) cannot be sorted.

Had the feeling of a first game of the season about it.

Big applause to our opposition, their back three was very dangerous, upfront they were hard and well drilled. If they keep that level of performance up they'll push for league play offs come the end of the season, Kieran Crowley another good head coach.
Don’t think it’s a case of size being everything for your out half or full back - indeed think most folk like seeing the wee guy run round the big guy. But I just don’t know on Lowry. You say he shut Treviso down repeatedly - yes he is gutsy and wasn’t afraid to get involved in contact & defence but I only saw him getting repeatedly bumped off with Treviso gaining go forward every time. I would love for him to succeed but I just don’t know if you lose more than you gain. Thought the 20 year old Treviso out half, 2 years Lowry’s junior, had the better game last night. Lowry is still young himself but just think he needs to develop a bit more power to be successful and even for his own welfare at that level.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Good points well made Tap+Go.

The Treviso out half is younger but he has had as many pro starts at out half as Lowry, both on 2. So therefore I wouldn't expect Lowry to be ahead. The Italian like Lowry is tipped for greatness the Italian U20 really stood up recently and he has been a lot to do with it. I hope he lives up to the billing, Italy need to be competitive, he has already been called up to the senior national team. Would agree he edged it as the better out half on the pitch.

I'll see your constructive criticism of Lowry in defence and I'll raise you Ian Humphreys.... sorry unfair.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Lowry did get bounced a couple of times in defence but I think he offers enough to leave him at 10 and let him adapt his defence to that position, maybe he needs to go lower so he doesn't get handed off. He has the heart for defence and as has been just mentioned we managed quite well with Ian Humphrey's in defence, I think we could prosper with Lowry at 10- it was his 2nd/3rd? start there? The young midfield looked good, first game together so mistakes will happen defensively - I hope we give them another go next week.
Thought Gilroy looked more comfortable out there with some good defensive interventions - I hope he's finding his form again. Rea went really well obviously -really great to see the pack getting stuck in, the maul was a joy to watch. Special note to Marty Moore- near the end of the match he carried hard, slipped a pass to Henderson before he was tackled and then bounced back up to secure the next ruck- worked his socks off for a guy that size!
Great to see McCann get some decent time and he made a good account of himself. I hope we continue to see more of the young lads get chances consistently in the side this season. Very enjoyable match- Benetton certainly looked a very dangerous - they should give a fair few teams a lot of bother this season.