Oh no.....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Columbo
Squire

Re: Oh no.....

Post by Columbo »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:50 pm
Columbo wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:02 pm
Neill_M wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:46 am Injury/Transfer/Other?
Contract buyout...
Couple of theories that it could be, already covered in responses. Is there the cash in 🇿🇦 for that to happen?
I was thinking about that - actually if it’s true it could be quite nice opportunistic timing by SARU. They know the IRFU are absolutely bleeding cash and uttering dire prognostications about the future of the game - and right now Marcel is probably on one of the biggest contracts in Ireland. So the ‘buyout’ number could be considerably less than it would have been in ordinary times - basically we’ll take his wages off your hands a year early, and perhaps chuck in a little sweetener.. I’d say that would definitely get the IRFU’s attention.

Of course presumably ulster would scream bloody murder (unless they’re still following the Logan blueprint, in which case they’d probably offer him up for free :roll: ) and demand some quid pro quo, like Ruddock or Deegan, so it could get a bit messy.
..one more thing
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

thecrouch wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:16 pm Isn't this old news?
No.. the earlier rumour was just kite flying by SA journos I think. This came from someone in the camp, within the last week - what I don’t know is if it’s just a rumour among the players, or whether they have been told something concrete
..one more thing
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

It would be a total disaster and a 2nd/3rd/4th choice Leinster player would not soften the blow all that much.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Our finances have been on a slippery slope since we made Piteau the highest paid player in the league...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Columbo wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:30 pm
thecrouch wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:16 pm Isn't this old news?
No.. the earlier rumour was just kite flying by SA journos I think. This came from someone in the camp, within the last week - what I don’t know is if it’s just a rumour among the players, or whether they have been told something concrete
Hopefully he's just been offered a buyout but not necessarily accepted it- which then could be known amongst the players..

I've heard he likes it here? Maybe he's not in a rush to leave?
Hope there's nothing to it- he'd be a massive loss at a time were we need to be building depth in the back row not losing it..
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

If Deegan and penny headed north to sweeten the deal would it be worth it?
thewaterboy
Novice

Post by thewaterboy »

No :banghead:
:red: SUFTUM :red:
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Personally I’d expect Faddes & Carter to leave at end of season - my understanding is both are in last yr of 2 season deals. There are enough cover/development in the backs for Faddes. There maybe opportunities re movement between provinces for a 2nd row replacement for Carter. I’d definitely expect further movement between provinces going forward. The Irfu are going to want maximum return for their buck re IQ players, and now project players with the 5yr rule are really a bit of a non starter. Ire have holes at 15/10/9, BR, lock - they need maximum player exposure. I expect pressure to pass on game time to young talent in academies rather than older squad men to benefit the national team long term.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dharper wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:31 pm Personally I’d expect Faddes & Carter to leave at end of season.
both are average at best.
Who is scouting these imports?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Snipe Watson wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:59 pm
Dharper wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:31 pm Personally I’d expect Faddes & Carter to leave at end of season.
Rumn.... (sorry Rumn :duck: )

Carter is a multi capped Oz international who captained The Brumbies, he suffered an injury setback against Bath and hasn't had any time to find rhythm. I think he will surprise a few once he gets going. I certainly remember him being a hard nosed grisly character when watching him play in Super Rugby.

Faddes covers 11 to 15, wasn't signed to be a super star but to add depth. Again he also has been hampered with injury. I think Ulster fans need to temper their expectations with Faddes. Appears to try too hard to impress and it doesn't always come off, the guy needs to relax.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

I understand Carter’s pedigree, and that he has had injuries but I have yet to be convinced that He on current performances offers a real step up from our current 2nd rows Certainly not to the extent I would expect from a NIQ signing.
Fades is a different case in that he was signed as a utility back to provide depth to the squad Madigan is a similar signing.
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

Faddes will come good I do believe, though it can’t be easy with injuries and constantly playing different positions and not getting much continuity.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

I could understand Carter’s contract if he does actually start playing like an Aus international and former Super Rugby captain, but unfortunately I don’t see the point in Faddes. We can produce enough pups in the backs but the NIQ needed to go for a back row, preferably openside. We need more grunt that current options - Carter playing to his potential and a Saffa 6. I can’t see the academy unleashing another 1F anytime soon.

Might be a chance to sweep one up in the SA rugby reshuffling for next season. Any decent looking prospects in the Cheetahs or Kings?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:10 am

Carter is a multi capped Oz international who captained The Brumbies, he suffered an injury setback against Bath and hasn't had any time to find rhythm. I think he will surprise a few once he gets going. I certainly remember him being a hard nosed grisly character when watching him play in Super Rugby.

Faddes covers 11 to 15, wasn't signed to be a super star but to add depth. Again he also has been hampered with injury. I think Ulster fans need to temper their expectations with Faddes. Appears to try too hard to impress and it doesn't always come off, the guy needs to relax.
All NIQs should be automatic starters. Neither of these two are.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Snipe Watson wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:34 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:10 am

All NIQs should be automatic starters. Neither of these two are.
Agree that all NIQs should be but that's a personal train of thought rather than IRFU criteria.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18