Ospreys Vs Ulster Sat 10th October 5.15pm Premier Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ospreys Vs Ulster Sat 10th October 5.15pm Premier Sports

Post by rumncoke »

Watched the red in slow

Henderson’s intention was to push the player back into the scrum half his fore arm and shoulder made contact about the same time the shoulder starts about( high) chest high and comes up into a chin going backwards Henderson continues the push with hands and arms and when the ruck ends is at arms length from the player .

My take because play continued it was a Welsh TMO call rather than referee — who then went to telereview - and the milking of the contact by the welsh player

About the softest sand silliest red call for years and if Farrell got off for some of his not only during the games but after referral my — assessment would be one week should be the max — due to the fact that contact was minimal with out a follow through with his body a shoulder nudge rather than charge with force sufficient to push a player backwards but not to ground them .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Even with my Ulster tinted glasses on it was a straight red card all day.

In fairness to the Ospreys player he did not milk the red card, his reaction was admirable.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:09 pm Even with my Ulster tinted glasses on it was a straight red card all day.

In fairness to the Ospreys player he did not milk the red card, his reaction was admirable.
Here here.

In my view Henderson clearly intended to lead with the shoulder and the arms raised a smidge later to make it look like a shove. Just his demeanour in accepting the straight red told me that he knew rightly (this isn't to say that he'd have talked back to the ref to argue his case). The Osprey's player rightly looked across to the touch judge to ask if it had been picked up.

It might be soft to those who still have decades of old rugby ingrained into their brains but the new laws have been about long enough for a club captain to know what's acceptable and what isn't.
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

In my view it was a typical Henderson attempt to disrupt the scrum half by shoving into the ruck at the moment the scrum half’s hands touched the ball. The shoulder followed the arms (inevitably) as it always does (it’s almost impossible for the arms to follow the shoulder from that angle) and made contact with the chin of the Osprey’s player. Unintended, unfortunate, but a red card even though the impact was minimal. His demeanour in accepting the red card told me that he knew he’d been in the wrong side of the red all evening and that there was no point in arguing. Whether he has the temperament to be the club captain is another matter.
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Wrong side of the ref, not red...
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Adamson refereeing and a Welsh TMO .... never in doubt
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Watch from 18:20 to 18:30 + on YouTube Hendersons arm makes contact first , and the shoulder comes up after and the Welsh player turns to the lines man . ( milking it)
No 18 comes into the next breakdown from the side marginally after slant Jones hits Madigan high ( with body weight follow through ) Forcing Madigan to grab him to stay on his feet — Madigan gets penalised for tackle without the ball .

The 10second sequence actually proves how hard the game is to referee when there is at least one offence which could penalised by both sides at nearly every breakdown .

In my humble opinion Alwyns hit on Madigan is as bad if not worse than Henderson’s at least Henderson,s arm makes contact first and there is no follow through by the shoulder or body .
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

flatpass wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 pm In my view it was a typical Henderson attempt to disrupt the scrum half by shoving into the ruck at the moment the scrum half’s hands touched the ball. The shoulder followed the arms (inevitably) as it always does (it’s almost impossible for the arms to follow the shoulder from that angle) and made contact with the chin of the Osprey’s player. Unintended, unfortunate, but a red card even though the impact was minimal. His demeanour in accepting the red card told me that he knew he’d been in the wrong side of the red all evening and that there was no point in arguing. Whether he has the temperament to be the club captain is another matter.

Taking this, plus Rum's video analysis, was I right in catching some of what Hendo was saying to Adamson was about the ?hits? on Madigan ? Like "that's the second time that's happened to him" ? Just prior to this up the top of the shot you can see Madigan on the ground after an Ospreys tackle. If I was Hendo think I'd be pretty annoyed that Adamson listens to what the Ulster captain says/asks him (in polite terms as only the captain can speak with him) and then does nothing about it - not even asking the TMO to see if there's anything at all in what Hendo is saying. In fact I'm not sure whether Adamson actually says anything at all to Hendo but just turns and walks away. The fact that the TMO does not seem to see it either yet then is happy to interrupt the play on the field for what he sees but neither ref nor assistant refs see must be salt in the wound !

As for the incident itself, it seems to me to be one of those ones that the TMO could equally, after multiple re-runs, have decided that it was the arms followed by the shoulder (as Flatpass says). If you've decided that it's shoulder then arms, then it's a straight red. If not, then it's nothing at all. I'd suggest that the Monday morning learning is to clearly lead with the hands and make this technique a lot clearer - it's a legitimate action if it's a push into the chest of the player with your hands. A barge with the shoulder even into the opponent's chest, let alone higher up, to achieve the same outcome obviously isn't (and shouldn't be).
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

B---sh-t you always tackle with the shoulder and push with shoulder provided the arm was an arms only tackle is a flap in the wind . it is the area of contact of the shoulder on the opponent which creates the offence and a failure to use the arms to hold .

Personally I see little wrong with a no arms tackle below waist level there are no internal organs to be damaged ( other than the family jewels ) and they are external for most men . and guard able by a raised knee.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

I find that in many such situations, if I picture my own young lad in the place of the unfortunate recipient of the blow, it makes the decision to red card the offender very simple...
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Somethings happen on a rugby pitch which are accidental and you have , as a player to accept that accidents will happen -- you don't or shouldn't milk it.

Take the Alwyn hit on Madigan -- -- Madigan is well aware of the fact he is in Jones's path and deliberately so -- the hit is not accidental but to some good degree expected and possible deserved. but it is deliberate . Henderson's contact on the other hand is less obviously so -- in my opinion because there is no follow through or continued contact.. other than the push by his hands and arms.

If the hit ( to the chin ) had been deliberate ( and worthy of a red ) the Welsh lad would have been spitting blood not looking at the linesman.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

https://www.the42.ie/iain-henderson-ban ... 0-Oct2020/

3 weeks....he’ll be massively missed in Paris.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Some guff being served as steak here.
It was a clear cut red card. You cannot put your shoulder in an opponent's face and stay on the field. End of.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:43 pm Some guff being served as steak here.
It was a clear cut red card. You cannot put your shoulder in an opponent's face and stay on the field. End of.
Hate to agree with wassisname, but he's right.

When play was stopped I was screaming at the tv that it was a ludicrous review. Then when it was reviewed, I had to come to the conclusion that it was a red card. Got there before Adamson, but that's not surprising. Soft, stupid red, but red nevertheless. That wasn't surprising either - Hendo has tremendous skill and strength, but he doesn't always engage the top three inches and is worth at least a couple of penalties to the opposition every match.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Clearly a no brainer, red all day, hopefully he learns from it