Zebre v Ulster Monday 6pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Zebre v Ulster Monday 6pm

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:45 pm Scarlets will not have McNicholl available to supply the bullets for their wingers and that Edinburgh side tonight looked very unfamiliar.

Ten points there for the taking.
Definitely there for the taking, I'd be delighted if we could finish November unbeaten in any shape or form. That's now three away wins on the bounce which is very encouraging, fingers crossed our away day frustrations are over.

The big concern for our immediate future was Marty Moore going off, precautionary or injured? If it's an injury of note I'm gutted for him as he has been terrific this season. His work rate at present is phenomenal.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The physio looked like he was signalling that Marty had rolled his ankle. I didn’t see any footage of him leaving the field. It’s a worry alright because it could be nothing or it could be 8 weeks or more.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:11 am The physio looked like he was signalling that Marty had rolled his ankle. I didn’t see any footage of him leaving the field. It’s a worry alright because it could be nothing or it could be 8 weeks or more.
He’s grand.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Lowry at full back works well because it transforms him from a target to a hazard for the opposition .

He has a nippy return -- and can cover the ground well if the ball is kicked into space and has a reasonable length to his kick. joining the line he becomes a worring distraction.

its a completely different game for him at full back the opposition have to get passed the defence to exploit his size.

Unfortunately for him on Stockdale's return he becomes bench fodder because the Irfu see Stockdale as a go-forward 15 having several Ulster prospects to develop on the wing .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Anyone out there know the stats on speed over the first 10-20 metres because Lowry. to my eyes, is as quick as I've seen? His enthusiasm is infectious as well, strikes me like a kid who just wants to listen and learn, and allied with good coaching (take them low, look for gaps, know when to kick and get good at kicks, all noticeably improving week by week). Injuries are always the worry but good luck to him, a 5'7" full back for Ireland would be some statement! McIlroy as well, with another 5kg on him, would sidestep you in the proverbial phonebox, serious talent!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Marco wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:38 am Anyone out there know the stats on speed over the first 10-20 metres because Lowry. to my eyes, is as quick as I've seen? His enthusiasm is infectious as well, strikes me like a kid who just wants to listen and learn, and allied with good coaching (take them low, look for gaps, know when to kick and get good at kicks, all noticeably improving week by week). Injuries are always the worry but good luck to him, a 5'7" full back for Ireland would be some statement! McIlroy as well, with another 5kg on him, would sidestep you in the proverbial phonebox, serious talent!
McIlroy is too young to remember phone boxes :lol:

Btw, I believe I previously erroneously credited young McCann with being the first Ulster player born this century. It was of course, McIlroy, who played against Leinster last December.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

kingofthehill wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:54 am
justinr73 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:11 am The physio looked like he was signalling that Marty had rolled his ankle. I didn’t see any footage of him leaving the field. It’s a worry alright because it could be nothing or it could be 8 weeks or more.
He’s grand.
Thanks KOTH :thumleft:

On Moore.....
I think he's the only player to have started every game this season, the game time has done him wonders as evidenced by his performances, at the same time could be time for a rest, which is most likely planned by management before we hit European competition at the start of December. December and January have a big block of 7 fixtures.
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:57 pm
Alister Scott wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:10 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:05 pm We beat Ebbw Vale 61-28 away in one of our better Heineken Cup campaigns :lol: name the year :duck:
Years have names??? :shock:

I have no idea what 1998's name was.
Surely "1998" is the name? I'm off to copywrite 2022. I'll make a small fortune licensing it to the calendar/ diary industry.
That's not a name, that's a number - you can't copywrite a number - hard luck. :D
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Alister Scott wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:12 am
big mervyn wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:57 pm
Alister Scott wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:10 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:05 pm We beat Ebbw Vale 61-28 away in one of our better Heineken Cup campaigns :lol: name the year :duck:
Years have names??? :shock:

I have no idea what 1998's name was.
Surely "1998" is the name? I'm off to copywrite 2022. I'll make a small fortune licensing it to the calendar/ diary industry.
That's not a name, that's a number - you can't copywrite a number - hard luck. :D
What if you spell it? Are you trying to say Joe Ninety isn't a real name?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:46 am
Marco wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:38 am Anyone out there know the stats on speed over the first 10-20 metres because Lowry. to my eyes, is as quick as I've seen? His enthusiasm is infectious as well, strikes me like a kid who just wants to listen and learn, and allied with good coaching (take them low, look for gaps, know when to kick and get good at kicks, all noticeably improving week by week). Injuries are always the worry but good luck to him, a 5'7" full back for Ireland would be some statement! McIlroy as well, with another 5kg on him, would sidestep you in the proverbial phonebox, serious talent!

Btw, I believe I previously erroneously credited young McCann with being the first Ulster player born this century. It was of course, McIlroy, who played against Leinster last December.
Nice stat Merv,he was 19 years 4 months and 10 days on his debut.

Does anyone know who our youngest debutant is in a competitive professional fixture?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

These sort of games while not much of a test do help show progression within a team. A while back we'd have been struggling to get a bonus point in the last 10 mins but the mindset has really changed resulting in a ruthless streak developing. Confident the standard has been set and Dan won't let it slip.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:18 pm
big mervyn wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:46 am

Nice stat Merv,he was 19 years 4 months and 10 days on his debut.

Does anyone know who our youngest debutant is in a competitive professional fixture?
Can't think of anyone younger.
Sexton played for the senior team at 17 but that was in a preseason friendly.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:18 pm
This chap might be a contender?

David Patrick Lindsay James Jackson
Date of birth 5 January 1992

Ulster debut 18th Feb 2011 aged 19 years 1 month and 13 days v Scarlets (a)

Ulster won 18-16 courtesy of a 55m pen on 80mins from St Ruan in atrocious conditions.

From the match report: A sublime show-and-go from Jackson – evidently having no trouble settling in on his debut – opened up a gap in the Scarlets’ defence and led to the concession of a third penalty, converted by Pienaar to leave Ulster only four points adrift.

Ulster

(15 – 9) A D’Arcy; A Trimble, N Spence, P Wallace, C Gilroy; P Jackson, R Pienaar
(1 – 8) T Court, A Kyriacou, D Fitzpatrick, J Muller (c), T Barker, TJ Anderson, C Henry, P Wannenburg

Replacements (16 – 23) N Brady, J Cronin, B Young, R Caldwell, R Diack, P Marshall, L Marshall, S Danielli
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:18 pm Does anyone know who our youngest debutant is in a competitive professional fixture?
Just found a better wan.

Christopher Robert Eric Farrell
Date of birth 16 March 1993

Debut v Leinster at the RDS 26 December 2011 aged 18 years 9 months and 10 days. Leinster won 42-13 - of course they did! :lol: :lol:

Wonder what happened to him? :scratch:

Ulster
(15 – 9) P Nelson; C Cochrane, M Allen, C Farrell, C Gaston, J McKinney, P Marshall
(1 – 8) C Black, N Brady (c), A Macklin; T Barker, L Stevenson; N McComb, A Birch, R Diack
Replacements (16 – 23) N Annett, J Cronin, T Court, J Simpson, C Joyce, I Porter, S Olding, R Andrew

Just realised. Stuart Olding also made his debut from the bench in that match but was just 5 days older!

Stuart Olding
Date of birth 11 March 1993
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

FFS!!!

It's definitely absolutely without a shadow of a doubt (probably?! :lol: ) Conor Joyce in the same match: Date of birth 5 July 1993

Ulster debut aged 18 years 5 months and 21 days.

He was at the time the youngest player to play professionally for any of the Irish provinces. Not sure if that's still the case. Some young pup has probably bested that for Leinster.

No wonder Leinster tanked us :lol: :lol: :lol:
Big Neville Southall