Marcell Speculation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Marcell Speculation

Post by Dharper »

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Marcell Speculation

Post by Neill_M »

Under contract till end of 21/22 season, he may well head South after that. If the Bulls have hard currency, they could buy out the final year of his deal next summer etc.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Who is surprised that teams are expressing interest in the most destructive player in the league?

Jake White is no mug and has a track record of playing the long game.

I don't think anyone in rugby has a surfeit of cash to buy out anyone's contract.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Pretty much what Snipe says with players of Marcells quality there will always be demand. Good luck to anyone that wants to buy him out of a 450-500k per season contract.

A reporter could ask any professional coach in the world would they be interested in a player such as Marcell, said coach would readily agree and the reporter write an article on it.

Whether the Bulls or any other Saffer team have the funds to entice him home remains to be seen, Super Rugby teams do not have the finances of Europe hence why Marcell and the likes are here in the first place. South Africa as a place to live has certainly not improved since he departed.

My bets is that after 6 years here the IRFU may tell Ulster to get stuffed if looking for another contract for him, he will no doubt also be linked with a few French clubs. Marcell will also most like throw petrol on the fire by advising he has not decided what he wants to do at the end of his contract in order to drive the best deal he can get for himself.

Lets just enjoy him whilst we have him.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Marcell will also be 31 on 8th May 2022, his contract will expire soon after, I think I'm correct in saying IRFU don't offer contracts longer than 1 year extensions beyond 30? Open to correction.

With a player with Marcells injury profile if fit and healthy come then if he were offered the security of a 3 year deal elsewhere he'd be a fool not to give it serious thought.

We' also need to do what is right for Ulster in 18 months time where will young McCann, Rea Jr, Allison and Carruthers be at in the pecking order?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Don't talk about it, don't talk about it. If you talk about it, it makes it happen. Performative language, it's called.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I heard he had a bad back or a dependent mother or something. He'll be away next season. It's the Ulster way.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Freeing up his £450k contract must be looking pretty attractive to head office in Dublin.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I'd be more worried about Henderson whose contract is up next year. Irfu will be praying on players preference to stay in Ireland and u can expect hendo will be a sacrificed if they feel baird is up to it. With a young family to support a big contract in France may be tempting.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

germcevoy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:16 pm Freeing up his £450k contract must be looking pretty attractive to head office in Dublin.
Is Coetzee getting £450k/year? Pienaar was on £330k/year, if I recall right.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

jean valjean wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:06 pm I'd be more worried about Henderson whose contract is up next year. Irfu will be praying on players preference to stay in Ireland and u can expect hendo will be a sacrificed if they feel baird is up to it. With a young family to support a big contract in France may be tempting.

On the other hand, Hendy is of an age where he should be peaking around the time of the next WC and RK has just illustrated that a few bonus point wins against Dragons and Zebre doesn’t necessarily mean you’re ready for international rugby.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:26 pm
germcevoy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:16 pm Freeing up his £450k contract must be looking pretty attractive to head office in Dublin.
Is Coetzee getting £450k/year? Pienaar was on £330k/year, if I recall right.
That’s the number doing the rounds. Worth every penny.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Think realistically any province or club that doesn't have the support of a sugar daddy is at danger of loving players. Not sure how the salary cap in England works, is it an arbitrary agreed figure or is it based on income and the like? I think the most obvious cost cutting measure for the IRFU is dispensing of any NIQs on big salaries when their contracts expire, I guess Munster have got lucky with when they signed theirs. Marcell will almost definitely be gone when his contract expires, I guess enjoy him while he's here, think Hendo I would like to think will be looked after.
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

Confirmed off to Bulls next season.
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

bangorboy wrote:Confirmed off to Bulls next season.
Is that before or after the rainbow Cup?