Marcell Speculation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Marcell Speculation

Post by jean valjean »

The tone of petries tweet would hint that ulster were not allowed to set the timeline on this. Would be worried we have had no tIme to get a replacement lined up, but hope otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

One of our brethren suggesting a certain Fijian gentleman on other forums.
Might be dropping a line to see who bites though?
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Petrie saying it's not financially or FIRFU motivated decision, totally down to the player. No point in him blaming others. Grow a set Johnny and tell him he has a legally binding contract to play here.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

SparkyClarky wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:41 pm One of our brethren suggesting a certain Fijian gentleman on other forums.
Might be dropping a line to see who bites though?
Not true. He’s staying at Edinburgh.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

germcevoy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:59 pm Strong statement from Petrie firmly putting the blame on Marcel and the Blues. I’m not sure I buy it as Ulster could have played hard ball given the contract situation. They got an offer they (and the IRFU) couldn’t refuse.
I buy it.

And I don’t think you can expect a guy to lay his body on the line if is heart isn’t in it.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:12 pm
germcevoy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:59 pm Strong statement from Petrie firmly putting the blame on Marcel and the Blues. I’m not sure I buy it as Ulster could have played hard ball given the contract situation. They got an offer they (and the IRFU) couldn’t refuse.
I buy it.

And I don’t think you can expect a guy to lay his body on the line if is heart isn’t in it.
I think you can expect exactly that from a professional on a lucrative contract.

In any case the proof will be in whether all this available cash gets out to good use.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

germcevoy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:16 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:12 pm
I buy it.

I think you can expect exactly that from a professional on a lucrative contract.

In any case the proof will be in whether all this available cash gets out to good use.
Key word there being professional, if he was a professional he wouldn't be asking to get out of his contract early.

I don't want anyone in an Ulster jersey that doesn't want to be in one, potentially stinking up the dressing room and unmotivated, protecting himself from injury until his contract expires.

I buy Petries tweet also. Petrie has done very little wrong since his arrival, I trust he got the best he could for Ulster out of a bad situation.

Marcell is a fantastic player but his all round skill set isn't necessary the best suited to McFarlands brand of rugby. I expect a replacement with a fantastic set of hands.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Sport 24 say a reliable source stated marcel has been bought out of the final year of his contract. The bulls want to make a big impression in their 1st year in Europe.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Here we go again. Afoa all over again. We offer a saffer a very good contract when funds dont exist in SA. Then we stand by him when he gets injured and misses an entire season. As a reward for sticking by him he fu*ks us over and jumps ship. Dont play him again he's not fit to wear the shirt. Blood the youngsters now. Sure the seasons over anyway with the 'somewhere over the rainbow' tom kite. Marcel, you're dead to me.
LTHG
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

So this has been building for a while:

On a personal level I don’t blame MC, covid has made people reevaluate and being 1/2 way across the world with limited day to day life is only going to add to the reality of leaving loved ones so far away. The chance to go home, and set yourself up financially with a last big contract, and likely SA caps is obviously attractive. I always got the impression he was a “home bird”, and likely his good lady too.

Yes he’s been angling to get out early, clearly knowing the bulls were backing him. However in the meantime he’s been smashing out the performances - I’ll back the guys integrity to carry that on til end of season. (2) yes we backed him as we were obliged to contractually when he was injured. However he re signed post injury - he could’ve gone out the door, got same/better money in France - and let’s remember where we were as a club then - a fecking shambles......let’s just call it “doing a jonno Gibbes”....and he didn’t.

To be fair DMcF, Bryn & JP have had a degree of time re scouting potential replacements.
JP is a company man however I like him, clear from his response they know how little love there is between UR fans & IRFU & want to make sure the true narrative re departure is out there. At least there is obviously a compo package in place.
I suspect there will be an NIQ & IQ backrow addition. The last few weeks has shown we are still a shallow squad re quality. No doubt the pack needs additional bolstering in all areas bar hooker/TH.

The chances of IH re-signing for me is a nigh on certainty.

MC will go down as a brilliant UR player, certainly in best ever team.

Professional sport or not, I never want anyone being forced to represent my province or me, this isn’t our way. I hope MC has a brilliant back end of season, and UR & fans treat him well. Let’s show the class that the Bulls haven’t......because that’s one thing you can’t buy. Suftum. :red:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Strong words from JP on Twitter.
I hope he squeezes every shekel out of them.

However, the last thing we need is a player who doesn't want to be here.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

The last compo angle I can remember is Xavier Rush (a quality carrying 8)...we ended up with Pedrie Wannenburg as the replacement - what a player and legend he is considered. Let’s stay positive and classy.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

lovesthehardground wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:07 pm Here we go again. Afoa all over again. We offer a saffer a very good contract when funds dont exist in SA. Then we stand by him when he gets injured and misses an entire season. As a reward for sticking by him he fu*ks us over and jumps ship. Dont play him again he's not fit to wear the shirt. Blood the youngsters now. Sure the seasons over anyway with the 'somewhere over the rainbow' tom kite. Marcel, you're dead to me.
Two seasons
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:44 pm Key word there being professional, if he was a professional he wouldn't be asking to get out of his contract early
Professional in the sense that he gets paid for doing his job.

He's not playing for Ulster because he feels any sense of loyalty - or at least didn't when he first signed. He may have developed a love of the province since then, but not enough that he is Ulster till he dies.

How many of us on here would regard ourselves as professionals, (or did so while working), but would turn down an offer from a new employer which was more to our liking - either because of salary, working conditions, location or any combination of these. Not many I would guess, so why would we expect a rugby player to do so. He's not breaking a contract, (or so it seems) - his new employers have bought it.

Ruans only come along once in a very long time.

I'll be sorry to see Marcell go, and will be even sorrier to see him play against Ulster, but I wish him well and consider myself fortunate to have seen a great player in his prime.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:41 pm
lovesthehardground wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:07 pm Here we go again. Afoa all over again. We offer a saffer a very good contract when funds dont exist in SA. Then we stand by him when he gets injured and misses an entire season. As a reward for sticking by him he fu*ks us over and jumps ship. Dont play him again he's not fit to wear the shirt. Blood the youngsters now. Sure the seasons over anyway with the 'somewhere over the rainbow' tom kite. Marcel, you're dead to me.
Two seasons
But then signed on for three more.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right