Marcell Speculation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Marcell Speculation

Post by Dave »

Great. I'm sure you're good for at least two thirds of that commitment. Before the homesickness of course.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Starsky wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:41 pm There could some truth to that Cap’n but I can’t remember a photo emerging apart from my poor quality one of the back of his head in the Stormont Hotel 😀.

There must have been some interest from Ulster though, otherwise incredibly naive on their part to be used in that way.
Not Hogg's fault that you couldn't take a decent photo. :lol:

His fault though that he didn't ensure a pro snapper was around - one who could do good quality of his bake.

Somehow, however, the word still got back to the land of kilts and put the wind up some of them thar kilts.

Truth is, he had no interest in Ulster, and Ulster had no interest in him.

Not sure why any team would want to sign a player that played fast and loose with his employer, and any potential future employer would know that up front.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Anyway, that's enough about Coetzee, what's the lowdown on this Speculation fella?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:50 pm Anyway, that's enough about Coetzee, what's the lowdown on this Speculation fella?
Heck of a player. Landed yesterday and signed a 4 year deal.

Just announced he is heading back home tomorrow for family reasons....as in he hopes to find a partner at some stage in the future to start one with. He did say however that he remains committed to giving his all for Ulster until midnight tonight.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Turns out the rumours were on the money after all . I think the best player I’ve ever seen at Ulster. I actually don’t have any hard feelings, I think he’s been homesick for quite a while and it all just came to a head during lockdown - he wants to go home to his family and start a family of his own, good luck to him.

He’s been expensive, but worth every penny and doesn’t owe us a bean IMO - he’s a consummate big game player and has come up with so many big plays in tight games for us. (And on a point of order, I understand that this year he actually agreed to a bigger haircut on his salary than the Irish players were asked for...)

As for how to replace him, there’s no way we can get a like for like, not least because there are so few players so good either side of the ball in world rugby - IMO we need 2 senior back row additions, a carrier and someone who can fetch. In the straitened post-COVID environment I can see the IRFU wanting to play more ‘chess’ with player pawns, which is unfortunate for Leinster... VDF is an interesting one, he always plays well when he’s picked, but never seems to have nailed down a start in the way that Ruddock has in the last couple of seasons (best back row in Ireland after Marcell IMO) and more recently Doris, and must be nervy about Connors rapid promotion and Leavys comeback.. I could see him making a move, and he would be a great fit.

The other one that occurs to me is Conan - iirc we actually tried before, and he heard us out, but decided to stick, as Heaslip was nearing retirement. He has been comprehensively leap-frogged by Doris, and barring injury doesn’t have a hope of getting his nose back in front any time soon. Deegan is very highly rated there too - I think a move up here would be good for him, but I wonder if he might not head abroad for more money if he gets a chance, because for whatever reason he has never really been fancied for Ireland..
..one more thing
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Jaysus wept. I wonder what their pioneer ancestors would make of these homesick superstars who are a few hours away from "home". :roll: Feck sake, those boys sailed around the world in death trap boats and fought tropical disease and hostile natives to conquer the new worlds. I don't necessarily approve of what they did but on some level you gave to admire their pluck.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Sounds like my journey to NI.

How long I can stick it without Waitrose, Papa Johns and Majestic remains to be seen.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:44 am Sounds like my journey to NI.

How long I can stick it without Waitrose, Papa Johns and Majestic remains to be seen.
Doubt Marcell is missing any of those three....

As for myself, not convinced about either Waitrose or Papa Johns (or at least the Selly Oak version) sufficiently to miss them. However you are spot on about Majestic (Winemark/Tesco are crap and Direct Wine & The Vineyard too expensive/limited choice of well-priced wines. And B&M Bargains on the Cregagh are great for bottled beers and lagers- authentic Barbados Banks there before Christmas... but leave their wines and spirits well alone unless you want to die of diabetes,go blind or can't afford Nitromors). I solve the issue by getting Majestic to deliver to NI, which as yet they do in 3 days with no issue - although we will see post 1st Jan... but it will cost you £6.95 (whether 6, 12, 18 bottles etc). And Yodel aren't bad at getting it from Carrickfergus to East Belfast without breaking it (unlike some others...).
Last edited by WestDr on Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

WestDr wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:54 am

Not convinced about either Waitrose or Papa Johns (or at least the Selly Oak version) sufficiently to miss them. Howver you are spot on about Majestic (Winemark/Tesco are crap and Direct Wine too expensive/wrong sort of choice. And B&M Bargains on the Cregagh are great for sbottled beers and lagers- authentic Banks from Barbados before Christmas). But for wine, do as I do - Majestic deliver to NI with no issue - 3 days usually (as yet although we will see post 1st Jan...) but it will cost you £6.95. And Yodel aren't bad at getting it from Carrickfergus to East Belfast.
A B&M that does offsales? Didn't know there was such a thing. It's just down the hill from me too.

You don't know your living Justin. You should have been here when all we had was Supermac, Stewarts and Crazy Prices. Jim Megaw - Ulster legend!!! 😅😅😅
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Delayed onset homesickness. Secondary to a billionaire Bull with a big....offer.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

:lol:

Cheers guys.

I cannot get my head around how many Winemarks there are. Don’t really have any offies on the mainland anymore (for about 25 years).

Have signed up to that fella in Crossgar for a case every quarter. Hopefully Majestics is an option and Laithwaites isn’t bad. I’ve got a couple of boxes on the way from Sir Ian Botham ‘an all.

The Co-op on the Kings Road is OK, although they could do with some more tills open.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Offies are one of the few businesses that have thrived in Covid. In Engerland every corner shop seems to have offsales. Different licensing laws here. I can't get my head round only being able to use certain self service tills in the big supermarkets when you've got booze. :scratch: >burp
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

They seem to channel you towards the main tills at the Tesco on the Lisburn Road if you have booze. I thought it must be because they don’t want to delay people buying a pint of milk whilst they ID the young ‘uns chancing their arm.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:00 am
WestDr wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:54 am

Not convinced about either Waitrose or Papa Johns (or at least the Selly Oak version) sufficiently to miss them. Howver you are spot on about Majestic (Winemark/Tesco are crap and Direct Wine too expensive/wrong sort of choice. And B&M Bargains on the Cregagh are great for sbottled beers and lagers- authentic Banks from Barbados before Christmas). But for wine, do as I do - Majestic deliver to NI with no issue - 3 days usually (as yet although we will see post 1st Jan...) but it will cost you £6.95. And Yodel aren't bad at getting it from Carrickfergus to East Belfast.
A B&M that does offsales? Didn't know there was such a thing. It's just down the hill from me too.

You don't know your living Justin. You should have been here when all we had was Supermac, Stewarts and Crazy Prices. Jim Megaw - Ulster legend!!! 😅😅😅

The thought of eating yellapack Cornflakes again definitely does not make me homesick......well at least not in the same way doubling my salary would do.

Jim Megaw was indeed a proper legend. Must have had big money offers from the mainland after the way he wooed the weemen of Northern Ireland to do their shaapin in Crazy Prices
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Columbo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:53 am Turns out the rumours were on the money after all Image. I think the best player I’ve ever seen at Ulster. I actually don’t have any hard feelings, I think he’s been homesick for quite a while and it all just came to a head during lockdown - he wants to go home to his family and start a family of his own, good luck to him.

He’s been expensive, but worth every penny and doesn’t owe us a bean IMO - he’s a consummate big game player and has come up with so many big plays in tight games for us. (And on a point of order, I understand that this year he actually agreed to a bigger haircut on his salary than the Irish players were asked for...)

As for how to replace him, there’s no way we can get a like for like, not least because there are so few players so good either side of the ball in world rugby - IMO we need 2 senior back row additions, a carrier and someone who can fetch. In the straitened post-COVID environment I can see the IRFU wanting to play more ‘chess’ with player pawns, which is unfortunate for Leinster... VDF is an interesting one, he always plays well when he’s picked, but never seems to have nailed down a start in the way that Ruddock has in the last couple of seasons (best back row in Ireland after Marcell IMO) and more recently Doris, and must be nervy about Connors rapid promotion and Leavys comeback.. I could see him making a move, and he would be a great fit.

The other one that occurs to me is Conan - iirc we actually tried before, and he heard us out, but decided to stick, as Heaslip was nearing retirement. He has been comprehensively leap-frogged by Doris, and barring injury doesn’t have a hope of getting his nose back in front any time soon. Deegan is very highly rated there too - I think a move up here would be good for him, but I wonder if he might not head abroad for more money if he gets a chance, because for whatever reason he has never really been fancied for Ireland..
Surely the best player any of us have seen at Ravenhill in the professional era is a SA scrum half...the best of the best.