Edinburgh v Ulster Rugby – Monday KO 20:15

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Edinburgh v Ulster Rugby – Monday KO 20:15

Post by kingofthehill »

Big-al wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:08 am
Off the Top wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:24 am Apart from that 15-20 minutes in the second half Ulster were by far the stronger team and ran out easy winners.

Aaron Sexton looked a little bit lost at times - but so did Baloucoune in his first few matches. With his physique I'm sure Aaron will develop into a Jonny May type player - he just needs a bit of time.

Young Bradley looked the part as well.
Sexton wasted 2 years development with the 7's. Waste of time. He looked like a 7's player out there wereas McIlroy looks much further down the develoment road.
Keenan and Connors would say different.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It didn’t do Bobby B any harm either.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Bobby B certainly started with a bang right from the start when he cleaned the opposition winger unfortunately he forgot to let him land from his leap to catch the ball. Whilst McElroy and Lyttle have been both outstanding and Faddes has put in some good turns I have missed the excitement that Bobby B produces on the wing. A very unfortunate injury and bad timing career wise as I think the way things have turned out for Ireland he would have been in contention. He would also have been home grown.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Bar cooney you could argue that was a second string backline last night. Not too shabby and will only get better over time. The signing of madigan is turning into a good bit of business. The elephant in the safari is the rumours about marcel. For all the progress we have made in strength and depth if we lose him we are 3 steps backwards. I expect we will struggle to keep him at the end of this contract given his age then and tempting offers from elsewhere. Wont be surprised to see another d4 exile come up the road with deegan, conan and Doris fighting for 2 spots at leinster. None can lace his boots IMO.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

boyg
Novice

Post by boyg »

The backline defence for the two Edinburgh tries was poor. Both centres slipped off tackles and made some poor decisons. For all the hype I read about about James Hume in attack he does not inspire confidence in defence. If he is 13 against Toulouse I fear we will be badly exposed. What ever happened to playing the whistle as opposed to waving your arms and claiming a forward pass. It make compromise our attacking options but I think I would go with McCloskey and Ludik against the French
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

boyg wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:56 pm The backline defence for the two Edinburgh tries was poor. Both centres slipped off tackles and made some poor decisons. For all the hype I read about about James Hume in attack he does not inspire confidence in defence. If he is 13 against Toulouse I fear we will be badly exposed. What ever happened to playing the whistle as opposed to waving your arms and claiming a forward pass. It make compromise our attacking options but I think I would go with McCloskey and Ludik against the French
While I agree on Hume to an extent I wouldn’t say McCloskey is a better defender.

I think McFarland thinks his best centre partnership is McCloskey and Hume but for me I would have Moore and Hume 😬
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

I think it is. Tad harsh to be criticising Moore and Hume to that extent when you reflect on their level of experience at this level.
There are bound to be some errors and we should be relieved that we have two young centres of there quality to step in and replace McCluskey and Marshall. I have no doubts that Messrs Payne and Soper will be dealing with any errors displayed against Edinburgh.
The one satisfactory thing about that game was that the team did not think the job was done when they reached the magic number of 4 tries and a bonus point as they have appeared to have done so often in the past.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:43 pm Loving our new hooker’s Barnet.
Keith Lemon
Seagull
Novice

Post by Seagull »

The Honey Badger’s Ginger Twin
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

LegsLikeSausages wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:13 pm
Keith Lemon
What’s the story with him? Injury call up or will we see more of him?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

launish116 wrote:
LegsLikeSausages wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:13 pm
Keith Lemon
What’s the story with him? Injury call up or will we see more of him?
Injury call up. With injuries to herring and Stewart they didn't want to risk both remaining hookers in the last game before europe. He showed enough and is well liked it seems so deserves a few more training sessions at least.

launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

With injuries to herring and Stewart they didn't want to risk both remaining hookers in the last game before europe. He showed enough and is well liked it seems so deserves a few more training sessions at least.
Cheers, smart!

Shame he didn’t get more minutes, looked decent enough.

Great turn over! Couldn’t figure out if it was his scrummaging or Edinburgh giving up when we demolished their scrum.

Wouldn’t mind seeing more of him if it puts some fear into McBurney, he hasn’t overly impressed as of late.
widerball
Novice

Post by widerball »

Who advised the referee to check the penalty for off side?
1f spotted it during commnetary. Does the TMOs have access to the match commnetary - I understood that they didn't.
DanMcF post match semed to indicate that it was a fortunate spot by one of the analysts.
So how was a review triggered? I presume it was by the TMO independently.
Any idiot can face a crisis -it's day to day living that wears you out.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dan mentioned it was spotted by their anaylst in the stand. It would have been easy to get the message onto the pitch via radio to the captain seeing as the water carriers were on. I would seriously doubt if the tmo is allowed to hear any tv commentary or is in touch with anyone from either team.