Connacht v Ulster Sun Dec 27th KO 7:35pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Connacht v Ulster Sun Dec 27th KO 7:35pm

Post by big mervyn »

From what I've observed, wee Mads attitude on and off the pitch has been excellent.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Warwick deserves great credit for steadying the scrum. Great experience for the younger lads.
Thought the referee did good except Connacht should have been given a penalty try when McCall was carded. They did get their 7 points thanks to a good conversion.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The ref was good, although he didn’t have too many tough calls to make.

The lads should be proud of their efforts tonight against a Connacht team that wasn’t far off being fully loaded.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:14 pm From what I've observed, wee Mads attitude on and off the pitch has been excellent.
Completely agree with that. The professionalism and attitude of the ex Leinster guys has been first class and really added something to the squad.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:24 pm The ref was good, although he didn’t have too many tough calls to make.

The lads should be proud of their efforts tonight against a Connacht team that wasn’t far off being fully loaded.
Not sure if they travel back on the team bus these days but if they do, hope it is stocked with a few well deserved beers.
Bogbunny
Initiate

Post by Bogbunny »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:24 pm The ref was good, although he didn’t have too many tough calls to make.

Nope

Very one sided on the not rolling away calls, and did not call any of the very apparent above the shoulder tackles.
Looked out of his depth.
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Maybe we just got trapped in more than they did.

He didn’t look out of his depth at all. You don’t have to go too far back to think of one that actually did.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bogbunny wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:28 pm

Nope

Very one sided on the not rolling away calls, and did not call any of the very apparent above the shoulder tackles.
Looked out of his depth.
Missed a couple of high-ish tackles, but was pretty even-handed on the not rolling calls. There will always be some calls we disagree with - on both sides, but by and large they don't usually make that much difference. I always try to think, "if the players made as few mistakes as the ref, they'd win every match". Ref was grand (ish) :lol:

If we'd had him or someone of similar calibre against Glaws, we'd have won that one.
Last edited by Cap'n Grumpy on Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

germcevoy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:33 pm Alby and Madigan superb.
6 and 7 out of 10 respectively, according to Adam in the BT......
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:47 am
germcevoy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:33 pm Alby and Madigan superb.
6 and 7 out of 10 respectively, according to Adam in the BT......
How many out of 10 do we give Adam?
I'm not arguing -
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

There’s an argument to suggest that the return of ice hockey can’t come soon enough for him.

I’ve a couple of good mates in the trade. One is a footy writer for the Sun and another is a cricket journo and ghost writer for several extremely well known players.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Watching Kyle McCall today was painful. Easy to say he is not good enough but without doubt injuries have taken a massive toll on him. I remember him as a young prospect handling teams like Sarries and more than holding his own, as well as offering something in the loose. 4 or 5 years ago he looked like being ulster’s Long term loosehead. Sad to see how he has regressed.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bart S wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:39 am Watching Kyle McCall today was painful. Easy to say he is not good enough but without doubt injuries have taken a massive toll on him. I remember him as a young prospect handling teams like Sarries and more than holding his own, as well as offering something in the loose. 4 or 5 years ago he looked like being ulster’s Long term loosehead. Sad to see how he has regressed.
Quite true. Add to that that he simply went into this game under-cooked. He hasn't had much game time recently and prop is one of those positions that you just cannot go in to and expect to "turn it on" at a moment's notice. I have no doubt that Connacht targeted him as a potential penalty liability. If they didn't, they should have. Possibly if he had a run of games under his belt the form might improve, but unfortunately I don't see him getting that unless we have more injuries. He needs time off the bench in a number of matches before he should be even considered as a starter again.
I'm not arguing -
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

lovesthehardground wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:10 pm Usual interpro selection.Throw the away matches and concentrate on the home games. Poor selection up front, particularly at scrum time. Connacht by 10!
See, told you so!
LTHG
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

A word about Kyle McCall and others in his position, harsh words are spoken by many but imagine how he must have felt walking to the sideline and then when told he wasn’t coming back on, after 20 minutes on the pitch. First saw him playing 18 years ago on the same school side as my lad, my boy tall and skinny, at 11yrs old, Kyle the opposite, no surprise he gravitated to prop and progressed through the ranks. I know they say you’ll never better professional sport, but can we be so sure when, at 29, you’re staring at a situation where his contemporaries have 12 years on you in terms of life learning and work? To me players like Kyle were probably unlikely to ever make it to starting XV standard in a professional league, so were the managers and coaches of a different view, and if not, were they honest with him? I hope he, and again anyone like him, gets what he wants, and if that means sticking with rugby, fairplay and good luck. He looks like a real squadman and serious good craic, also important and hopefully doors open up wherever he goes.

Great performance yesterday, congrats to players and coaches alike.