Ulster v Munster Sat Jan 2 5:15pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ulster v Munster Sat Jan 2 5:15pm KO

Post by jean valjean »

Six nations and covid will have a big part to play.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

All during the 6N of course.

What price a defeat in Newport?!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:14 am All during the 6N of course.

What price a defeat in Newport?!
Sexy Dave Parade 😂
turko
Novice
Location: Exiled but heart remains at the cathedral on match day

Post by turko »

LegsLikeSausages wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:33 pm
HammerTime wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:40 pm Not sure what James Hume does to keep getting picked. After looking good for his first few caps he’s been nowhere to be seen for his last half a dozen.
Disagree. His passing was excellent this evening. He isn’t the finished article but has huge potential. Very few players are the finished article this early in their career. We moan on this forum about not giving the youngsters enough time, then moan when they require time to develop their experience in big games.
Also completely disagree. His pass for the first try was class. He has inane talent so the potential is there, he is one of many young guys coming through who are our future. It does look really bright if we allow them all to develop.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

turko wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:06 am ... He has inane talent so the potential is there, ...
There's nothing inane about his talent.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Did you tell Gavan Casey to stop describing easy victories as “futile” Cap’n?

He hasn’t said it for a few weeks now.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

OK --Leinster lost --- but

Connaught's win -- two intercept trys for 12 points against a team who for 60 mins had their outside centre playing out half.

Leinster were also fielding a much weaken 15 many of the "go to" faces for the first pass were absent --which may account for a poor second 20 mins in the first half once Sexton went off.. because the game plan was for Sexton to control the game not the scrum half -- who once Sexton went off was unsure of who to pass the ball to.

That said Carty had one of his better games kicking the ball low, diagonally into space towards the 5 metre line and keeping Leinster in their own half for most of the 1st half.

Sexton just appeared to be totally uninterested for the 1st 20 mins before he went off -- and to be honest for a squad with 4 possible out halfs not to have one on the bench was extreme mismanagement by Cullen.

So yeh Leinster lost but remember that to do so they had to shoot themselves in the foot.
Last edited by rumncoke on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The Ulster game the backs became too predictable -- and to prone to try and run round the defence rather than get the ball to the wings in space -- making defending so much easier for Munster. The Ulster backs ran themselves out of options and space.

While that Munster backline didn't appear to offer much in attack it was very competent in defence.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Nothing less than a try bonus point win will be acceptable at the RDS on Friday!

:thumleft:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Of course both games to some extent show the folly of telegraphed flat passing .
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

The shortened season in some ways is a blessing to Ulster. The big challenge is always going to be finishing 1st, but with 2 cracks at Leinster plus more games now during the 6N’s likely to affect Leinster more there was always a chance, given how things have progressed so far. Munster have big European games to consider also, so whoever wins the Ulster/Leinster pool likely to have home advantage in the final for what it’s worth.

However :-

The shortened season is all about allowing the rainbow cup to be played and give some prep games for the SA players ahead of the Lions tour and their likely admission into the pro16. Whether the Lions tour happens is now doubtful, given it won’t be played behind closed doors (only happening if fans can travel). A decision will supposedly be made in the next month but as things stand it seems highly doubtful/unlikely. The situation could also make the SA teams travelling for the rainbow cup challenging and therefore could we see a situation in Feb where the league reverses it’s decision to shorten the season and we go back to the original format? I can’t see in such a scenario the league would stick with the revised format, which would mean the season ending in March, save for the teams involved in Europe, who would also have no matches in between.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I doubt they will revert to original format. Maybe just play a Rainbow cup without the SA's.

If it weren't all about maximising revenue, we'd just play whatever friendlies we could cobble together after a few phone calls on a Wednesday evening and hope that there can be some reasonable competition possible come September.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I'm afraid there's going to be a massive asterisk against all the half-baked comps this season. That probably means we're going to win one of them :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:23 pm I'm afraid there's going to be a massive asterisk against all the half-baked comps this season. That probably means we're going to win one of them :lol:
[/quote

Let's hope it is the Pro14 we win then Merv and not the rainbow cup! It'll be up there with the Anglo-Welsh cup and the international Autumn Cup in terms of useless silverware. ]
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:I'm afraid there's going to be a massive asterisk against all the half-baked comps this season. That probably means we're going to win one of them Image
It would be underlined as well in BOD's notebook.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?