Cooney rumours

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Cooney rumours

Post by justinr73 »

Cooney’s treatment on the international front is an absolute disgrace (Sexton seems to be the constant in that - maybe he doesn’t want somebody else kicking and running the game better than him).

His manner with the fans is absolutely 100% brilliant. Bath away in the tent for instance. Had time for everyone, even though his mates were there.

Spoke to him in Italy soon after he joined and you could tell he was loving the opportunity he had at Ulster. And was going to take it.

My second favourite player ever (behind 2MP).
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:58 pm Spot on. He owes us nathin and owes the FIRFU much less.
True dat Mervyn
Ravenhillman
Novice

Post by Ravenhillman »

big mervyn wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:58 pm Spot on. He owes us nathin and owes the FIRFU much less.
Agree completely....but what’s the difference between him and Marvell ???
In rugby the score isn’t important....it’s the taking apart
Ravenhillman
Novice

Post by Ravenhillman »

Marcell
Ravenhillman
Novice

Post by Ravenhillman »

Freudian slip
austintranslation
Novice

Post by austintranslation »

Looking at the type of scrum half John Cooney is, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a French side came in for him.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Ravenhillman wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:50 pm
Agree completely....but what’s the difference between him and Marvell ???
A world of difference. Marcell is a highly paid import who continued to be highly paid during while injured and then baled halfway through his recent contract.

Coons is Irish and as such is part of the overall IRFU setup with all the obligations and expectations that entails. His remuneration is almost certainly substantially less than Marcell's despite being arguably at least as important to the team. He has been f**ked over by the FIRFU and like I said, he owes us absolutely nathin. By my reckoning, Marcell owes us a minimum of another full season.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

This would be pretty gutting, but I have to say I couldn’t blame him - not given any kind of fair shot for Ireland, if he can get a big payday in France good luck to him. It would definitely give us a big recruitment headache.. it would be harsh on Connacht, but IMO both Blade and Marmion should be first choices at a province..
..one more thing
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Although reading between the lines I think money has been paid up by the bulls to get MC

I have been of the opinion that Sexton could be the block on Cooney, when Sexton rose in Leinster Cooney left for Connaught but I don't think their style suited him and they already had a more than adequate scrum half and out half is not Cooney's best position . Its too easy to take the wrong option at out half if you have an attacking mindset.

Connaught while Cooney was there were basically conservative in their approach to the game.

Sexton in my opinion is a key squad man at both Leinster and the Irish camp in much the same way As BoD was (If the prince does not smile then the court will shun .)

Every team has at least one or two who dominate the squad (think and the rest then follow the lead)

I think at the moment there may reduced funds going into french rugby .A cut in the amount TV are willing to pay because they were unable to sell the product on at the price they had hoped to achieve.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

rumncoke wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:05 am Although reading between the lines I think money has been paid up by the bulls to get MC

I have been of the opinion that Sexton could be the block on Cooney, when Sexton rose in Leinster Cooney left for Connaught but I don't think their style suited him and they already had a more than adequate scrum half and out half is not Cooney's best position . Its too easy to take the wrong option at out half if you have an attacking mindset.

Connaught while Cooney was there were basically conservative in their approach to the game.

Sexton in my opinion is a key squad man at both Leinster and the Irish camp in much the same way As BoD was (If the prince does not smile then the court will shun .)

Every team has at least one or two who dominate the squad (think and the rest then follow the lead)

I think at the moment there may reduced funds going into french rugby .A cut in the amount TV are willing to pay because they were unable to sell the product on at the price they had hoped to achieve.
Sexton was winning the Heinken Cup while Cooney was still playing u20 rugby... so Sextons rise had nothing to do with Cooney leaving.. it was more linked to not being selected under MOC when Sexton was in France.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Bayer
Destroying rumns theories and fables with facts?..............
What do you think this forum is for?
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Fellow Ulster folk Happy New Year.

Look JC has been superb for UR because frankly there was a massive hole in the team at 9/10, and the implementation of any gametime. JC is not an implementer 9 for a 10 to call the shots, he’s very much a game manager - very French, a leader - and Christ did we need him.

Frankly in a personal opinion I don’t think Ire trusted him to implement a game plan through 10. We all loved that break v clermont - Ire would’ve seen that and been concerned. Off the cuff isn’t brilliant at 9, it’s a brain fart that can totally put at risk everything. When’s the last time Murray broke?....that is the overwhelming conservative viewpoint. (I don’t agree by the way).

Ben Young’s has to be fair had a few great games for England last 20/30 caps but some absolute tom kite too (armchair ride maybe).....out and out the best 9 in Eng?....horlix, but he’ll implement the game plan which is why Eddie picks him.
Recent interview he said most dangerous time is when you have a line break incase you get turned over (or very similar....let that sink in). No wonder the nations cup was dreadful. Wigglesworth robson spencer not trusted.

JC can occasionally have a ropey pass for me that’s his weakness. The guys defence was fine. The goal kicking was negated due to Sexton being the designated kicker. There was a lot of excuses - no experience kicking under pressure etc. Bottom line he frankly embarrassed the Irfu with 5/10 min performances - the 6ns sideline conversion made in my mind a lot of people look absolute mammaries. The increase speed of the game was obvious from replacing Murray.

The real issue for JC is he is 29/30. God knows what the Irfu would’ve said to DuPont 2/3yrs ago? Hopefully H Byrne is the real deal, young casey looks the horlix - maximum exposure needed for that pair. It’ll be interesting for me how quickly they get quality exposure at province (big games) & Int level.

In the meantime we get one of the best club 9s in Europe.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:34 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:08 am
Dave wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:33 pm He was binned for the last few Irish squads.
justinr73 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:54 pm He was called up as cover for the France game two months ago.
Just to throw some petrol on this slow burner, is it significant that Cooney was not listed by UR in the players unavailable for the Connacht match, either as injured or because of IRFU player management programme? :stir:

Or was that simply an oversight by those issuing the info and putting it on website? After all, Ulster never make mistakes in the info they put out, so they never have to follow up with a correction or six. ;)
Well no, because he was available but Ulster chose to select Alby and let Wee Dave freeze his little nuts off on the bench.
Stop pouring foam on my petrol. :stir:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right