Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

John_e_boy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:28 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:26 pm
John_e_boy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:19 pm Cooney
Burns
Faddes
Coetzee
Maybe McCloskey

They lost us this game tonight.
You giving no credit to Leinster's defence?

They're not one of the best teams in Europe simply because some opposition players in every match don't play to their potential.
I won't give the opposition credit for our mistakes. Our missed tackles. Our tom kite decision-making. Our tom kite box kicking. Our high tackles. Our sleeping defensively.
I would suggest that a lot of that was because of their defence and our inability to puncture that.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

We were always taking the ball either static or dandering forward. How often did a runner take the ball at pace?
Leinster were really steady through the whole game, really well drilled and superbly efficient. Great defence and incisive attack.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Disappointed but not surprised.
Although not a big Shanners fan we were a better looking side with him and MADS at the end.
Sarries & Connacht went after them from the off, it looked like we were trying to stay in the game and steal it at the end.
I’m now a Scarlets and Munster supporter for a few matches and hope they do us favour.
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

We didn't have a cutting edge out back without stockdale, Addison or balacoune. For me the jury is still out on hume, I'm giving him a bye ball due to his age but we still miss Marshall at 13. Positives were the lesser lights, O'toole, Jones and treadwell when he came on. Disappointed by marcel, didn't have a clear head on and he needs to check back in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

Once again we get sucked into playing exactly the way Leinster want us to. Constantly running into their defensive wall so they can put 13 men in it. Don't remember us trying a single grubber or little dink over the top to make them think. All they had to do was tackle, not commit to the ruck and get everyone on their feet. They rarely even bothered competing for the ball on the ground.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

John_e_boy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:22 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:18 pm When I played, both of those were offences and were strictly applied.

The first was deemed to be illegally preventing a fair tackle, the second was dangerous play towards a tackler.

I confess I never read the laws, but that was drummed into us even at school and whether in the laws or not was certainly an interpretation by referees, probably before you were born.
Sorry aul han, if those things were reffed as being illegal, shoot the ref. And the teacher. And the coach.
Well the teacher was the coach and he went on to coach Ulster, so thought he knew something about the game.

He wasn't the only one though as anytime someone tried to do anything more than step a tackle, they were penalised by any number of refs.

If we'd shot them all,I doubt anyone would have wanted to pick up a whistle.
I'm not arguing -
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:27 pm And thank goodness I can now turn my laptop off and listen to that commentator!
Don’t turn it back on, you will have to listen to Ferris.

Jordi was immense.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

solidarity wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:32 pm We were always taking the ball either static or dandering forward. How often did a runner take the ball at pace?
Leinster were really steady through the whole game, really well drilled and superbly efficient. Great defence and incisive attack.
They defended well and we ran out of ideas on how to get through them. Resorted to crabbing across the pitch time and time again,and they were happy to let us.
I'm not arguing -
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

No tries in almost 2 full games against Leinster now. Ulster will not beat them like that. Never really looked like scoring tonight.
Coetzee looked more like a current Bulls player tonight than a future one.
Jordi Murphy was excellent again
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

mea97mb wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:33 pm Once again we get sucked into playing exactly the way Leinster want us to. Constantly running into their defensive wall so they can put 13 men in it. Don't remember us trying a single grubber or little dink over the top to make them think. All they had to do was tackle, not commit to the ruck and get everyone on their feet. They rarely even bothered competing for the ball on the ground.
Exactly right. A couple of wee wrap around moves were about all we tried.
And why couldn't we play with the passion of the last five minutes throughout the game?
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:30 pm
Burns
Faddes
Coetzee
Maybe McCloskey

They're not one of the best teams in Europe simply because some opposition players in every match don't play to their potential.
I won't give the opposition credit for our mistakes. Our missed tackles. Our tom kite decision-making. Our tom kite box kicking. Our high tackles. Our sleeping defensively.
I would suggest that a lot of that was because of their defence and our inability to puncture that.
So their defence caused us to knock the ball on 3 times from a decent pass?

Their defence caused us to field a kick in our own 22 and not call a mark?

Their defence caused us to jump 1m out of line and miss a tackle against Dave "useless" Kearney ?

Their defence caused a homeward-bound Saffer to commit 3 high tackles?

Their defence caused our #12 to run arouns the pitch doing his best headless chicken impression?

Etc ad nauseam.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

jean valjean wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:33 pm We didn't have a cutting edge out back without stockdale, Addison or balacoune. For me the jury is still out on hume, I'm giving him a bye ball due to his age but we still miss Marshall at 13. Positives were the lesser lights, O'toole, Jones and treadwell when he came on. Disappointed by marcel, didn't have a clear head on and he needs to check back in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Who is this Addison guy people mention around here?

I seem to remember him, but he disappeared off the scene long before his contract was up. I assumed someone had bought him out.
I'm not arguing -
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

John_e_boy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:39 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:30 pm
Burns
Faddes
Coetzee
Maybe McCloskey

So their defence caused us to knock the ball on 3 times from a decent pass?

Their defence caused us to field a kick in our own 22 and not call a mark?

Their defence caused us to jump 1m out of line and miss a tackle against Dave "useless" Kearney ?

Their defence caused a homeward-bound Saffer to commit 3 high tackles?

Their defence caused our #12 to run arouns the pitch doing his best headless chicken impression?

Etc ad nauseam.
Thats about it! :lol:
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:35 pm
John_e_boy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:22 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:18 pm When I played, both of those were offences and were strictly applied.

The first was deemed to be illegally preventing a fair tackle, the second was dangerous play towards a tackler.

I confess I never read the laws, but that was drummed into us even at school and whether in the laws or not was certainly an interpretation by referees, probably before you were born.
Sorry aul han, if those things were reffed as being illegal, shoot the ref. And the teacher. And the coach.
Well the teacher was the coach and he went on to coach Ulster, so thought he knew something about the game.

He wasn't the only one though as anytime someone tried to do anything more than step a tackle, they were penalised by any number of refs.

If we'd shot them all,I doubt anyone would have wanted to pick up a whistle.
I don't want to be argumentative, but speaking as a ref, the things you mentioned have never been and still aren't an offence under the laws of rugby.

Coaches, God love them but we're talking about why the ref tonight didn't blow up for infringements - the answer is they aren't infringements.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

kingofthehill wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:35 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:27 pm And thank goodness I can now turn my laptop off and listen to that commentator!
Don’t turn it back on, you will have to listen to Ferris.

Jordi was immense.
Very true, on both counts