Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by Neill_M »

TV - Premier Sports 1, Eir Sport 1 live and TG4 Delayed Full Coverage 9:45pm

No injury update from Ulster yet. Leinster published this yesterday:

Rhys Ruddock has recovered fully from his rib injury and will train fully this week.

The following players require further assessment:

Jordan Larmour (shoulder) and Harry Byrne (back) are both due to train this week as they seek to step up their recovery. Ciarán Frawley was withdrawn from the matchday squad late last week with a minor hamstring injury. Josh Murphy was withdrawn late from the Connacht Rugby matchday squad on the day of the game with a minor calf injury. Both Johnny Sexton and Scott Penny were withdrawn for Head Injury Assessments against Connacht Rugby and both have now entered the Graduated Return to Play Protocols. Jimmy O’Brien and Rory O’Loughlin both picked up shoulder injuries in the game at the RDS on Saturday and will require further assessment this week.

Finally, there was no new injury update on the following players who all remain unavailable for selection:

Garry Ringrose (jaw), Conor O’Brien (knee), Tommy O’Brien (ankle), James Lowe (groin), Tadhg Furlong (calf), Max Deegan (knee), Vakh Abdaladze (back) and Adam Byrne (hamstring)
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by jean valjean »

Let's not kid ourselves leinster will put anything but a very strong side out. It will be an international pack of forwards with another smattering in the backs. Any chance hendo could make this one?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Home win. Move on.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

Dave wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:14 pm Home win. Move on.
Nothing like giving you team full hearted support!

I think our guys will be up for this one. To quote Frank Carson: "It should be a cracker".
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Doen't look like we get anyone back and Stockdale might be out...
'Jacob Stockdale suffered a knee injury late in Saturday’s game against Munster Rugby. His availability for selection for the upcoming Guinness PRO14 fixture against Leinster Rugby will be assessed throughout this week.

Sean Reidy has had shoulder surgery following an injury he sustained in the Heineken Champions Cup Round 2 fixture against Gloucester Rugby. He is expected to be side-lined for approximately 3 months.

Also currently injured and unavailable for selection are: Jack McGrath, Iain Henderson, Luke Marshall, Rob Baloucoune, Rob Lyttle, Will Addison, Louis Ludik and Angus Curtis.

Squad updates in association with The Ulster Independent Clinic."
I wonder if Callum Reid did enough to make the bench or will the yellow card go against him and Warwick be selected ahead of him. Backrow of Mattie Rea/Jordy/Marcel/Timony, back three- Faddes/ Lowry/McIlroy.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Jordi, Timoney and the future Bulls player are the 3 best backrowers. Could the Bulls guy play 6 withTimoney staying at 8?

Ulster really need a decent 6
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Bart S wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:35 pm Jordi, Timoney and the future Bulls player are the 3 best backrowers. Could the Bulls guy play 6 withTimoney staying at 8?

Agree, and would have McCann on the bench, feel he would offer more impact than rest of available back rows.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Bart S wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:35 pm Jordi, Timoney and the future Bulls player are the 3 best backrowers. Could the Bulls guy play 6 withTimoney staying at 8?

Rea ahead of Timoney, need the height for the lineout.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Off the Top wrote:

I think our guys will be up for this one. To quote Frank Carson: "It should be a cracker".
My heart fully supports them. My head thinks we will lose.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

Dave wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:25 pm
Off the Top wrote:

Fair enough - you might be right!
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Off the Top wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:06 pm
Dave wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:25 pm
Off the Top wrote:

Fair enough - you might be right!
We've been here a few times and the formula for winning remains the same, using the Connacht game as an example: blood and guts have to be a given, you then need a couple of calls to go your way (dodgy blocking call by TMO on Arnold, ruling out Leinster try), strong kicking (one kick in particular by Carty was a thing of sheer beauty on the end of a piece of string, across the field) and a break (interception try). Leinster will do a coaching number on our scrum and lineout so can we hold parity? I have a sense of doom based on the Argentina win against NZ and what that resulted in the next time they played two weeks later, but the truth is what Dan says, we can win, but probably won't. In conclusion, I'd take a 4-1 losing points split if you offered it to me now, with the prospect of a (small but loud) home crowd and spring weather for the return fixture to come - we're building and there is not another professional rugby team sitting at 10 and zero right now, so lets support them!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I have a memory of us sending a second string to the RDS around ten years ago and coming away with a win. Who knows?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

At OUR DS - I concur.

Wont be easy, but Leinster to lose 2 on the trot.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ulster's only win at the RDS since 2000 was in the 2012/13 season when infamously Clownshoes blew the final whistle and then did a TMO check......
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Neill_M wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:05 pm Ulster's only win at the RDS since 2000 was in the 2012/13 season when infamously Clownshoes blew the final whistle and then did a TMO check......
The 2nd string had a surprise win at Thomond in 2014.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall