Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 12413
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by big mervyn » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:29 am

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:38 am
eeyore wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:50 am
:
Debate about May's jump/dive to avoid tackle/score, on Twitter. Sir Nigel says try should have been disallowed and penalty awarded against May as he "jumps to avoid the tackle".
https://twitter.com/Nigelrefowens/statu ... 76233?s=19

What would he know :scratch:
Nigel Owens MBE @Nigelrefowens wrote: Should be pK (penalty kick) he jumps up to avoid tackle that’s not a dive for the line
It is statements like this that make me so glad that Nigel Owens has retired from refereeing internationals.

John_e_boy should clearly be fast-tracked to officiating at test match level ... nay, not just officiating, but training and assessing referees to ensure that referees who do not understand the laws of the game either improve their knowledge or are weeded out of the game asap.

It is now obvious that Mike Adamson, who was refereeing his first 6N match (Scotland's first 6N referee in 6 years to :whistle: in the tournament), should have been refereeing at this level years ago and not held back by incompetents like Owens.

My eyes have been opened. :shock:

(for the avoidance of doubt, that was sarcasm, btw)
Thanks Capn. You obviously turned the sarcasm amp fully up to 11 just for my benefit! :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

Lurgan Lad
Warrior
Posts: 1204
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by Lurgan Lad » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:46 pm

Agree with Nige, stunned neither the ref or the TMO considered it. I do think there is more instances of people jumping tackles now and I do think it is pretty dangerous.

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 13932
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:57 pm

Lurgan Lad wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:46 pm
Agree with Nige, stunned neither the ref or the TMO considered it. I do think there is more instances of people jumping tackles now and I do think it is pretty dangerous.
Think what you like - you'd be wrong.

Referees don't think - they deal in facts!

#Johnny boy.

The fact that something is dangerous is neither here nor there if it's not specifically listed in the laws that it might be dangerous - it cannot be penalised. FACT!

BTW, I notice that unions are now asking referees to email disciplinary reports to them at long last.
It used to be that they were posted in, but even the unions had to move with the times eventually.
From snail mail they moved on to facsimile. However, when it was realised that this could contain fake news, they finally decided it was time stem this flow of alternative fax.
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

User avatar
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4392
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by UlsterNo9 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:05 pm

Grumps it would appear you've got a little bit of a crush on this johnny e boy, I'm afraid due to the lack of reply I'd say he's just not that into you!

You're getting yourself all worked up, life is too short.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20599
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:53 pm

Same person. Anyone seen Capn and John e boy in the same room? If not the same person they should get a room. And be in it at the same time.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 12413
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by big mervyn » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:14 pm

Dave wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:53 pm
Same person. Anyone seen Capn and John e boy in the same room? If not the same person they should get a room. And be in it at the same time.
Alone in a room with yer sock. What's a man to do?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20599
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:57 pm

big mervyn wrote:
Dave wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:53 pm
Same person. Anyone seen Capn and John e boy in the same room? If not the same person they should get a room. And be in it at the same time.
Alone in a room with yer sock. What's a man to do?
Oh dear, is John e boy an imaginary sock puppet character created by Grumpy? It has been a long lockdown.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 13932
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:59 pm

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:05 pm
Grumps it would appear you've got a little bit of a crush on this johnny e boy, I'm afraid due to the lack of reply I'd say he's just not that into you!

You're getting yourself all worked up, life is too short.
Never expected a reply from johnny boy - he only emerges about once a year and he's already made his annual appearance.

I'm just bored and hoped someone else would pick up, as indeed Merv did ever so briefly.
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 13932
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:01 pm

big mervyn wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:14 pm
Dave wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:53 pm
Same person. Anyone seen Capn and John e boy in the same room? If not the same person they should get a room. And be in it at the same time.
Alone in a room with yer sock. What's a man to do?
I don't even know what that means. :shock:

And I rarely if ever wear socks - would have to go looking to find even one.

But what for? :scratch:
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

User avatar
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4392
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by UlsterNo9 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:18 pm

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:01 pm

And I rarely if ever wear socks - would have to go looking to find even one.

But what for? :scratch:
Just the one required :cheers:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 13932
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:00 pm

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:18 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:01 pm

And I rarely if ever wear socks - would have to go looking to find even one.

But what for? :scratch:
Just the one required :cheers:
Each to their own. :shock:
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 12413
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by big mervyn » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:04 pm

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:00 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:18 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:01 pm

And I rarely if ever wear socks - would have to go looking to find even one.

But what for? :scratch:
Just the one required :cheers:
Each to their own. :shock:
I certainly wouldn't want to use anyone else's :shock:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 13932
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:23 pm

eeyore wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:50 am
:
Debate about May's jump/dive to avoid tackle/score, on Twitter. Sir Nigel says try should have been disallowed and penalty awarded against May as he "jumps to avoid the tackle".
https://twitter.com/Nigelrefowens/statu ... 76233?s=19

What would he know :scratch:
Follow up to Nigel saying on twitter that May's try should have been disallowed ...

Tom Tallis - "What a w@nker Nigel Owens is"

Nigel Owens - "It's a shame your father wasn't one". :lol:

Tom Tallis deleted the tweet but not before it was shared thousands of times.

Nigel added when sharing the post on Instagram: “Love it when the keyboard warriors delete their tweets or lock their profile when they get a reply. Too late pal. Think before you tweet!

I understand that Nigel no longer feels constrained in what he can say, now he is retired from refereeing and cannot be held accountable by any of the sport's unions or organisations.

Seems reasonable.
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

User avatar
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4392
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by UlsterNo9 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:11 pm

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:23 pm

I understand that Nigel no longer feels constrained in what he can say, now he is retired from refereeing and cannot be held accountable by any of the sport's unions or organisations.

Seems reasonable.
If he's retired he had a twin refereeing at the weekend.

Retired from international tests grumps :thumleft:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 13932
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Leinster v Ulster Fri Jan 8th 7:35pm KO

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:43 pm

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:11 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:23 pm

I understand that Nigel no longer feels constrained in what he can say, now he is retired from refereeing and cannot be held accountable by any of the sport's unions or organisations.

Seems reasonable.
If he's retired he had a twin refereeing at the weekend.

Retired from international tests grumps :thumleft:
True :duh:

In my defence I had posted that he had retired from the international scene farther up this thread. :duck:

Still thought it was funny, and I'm told, but cannot find the reference that he now feels less constrained in his replies to these bozos who try to wind him up . . . or worse. Fair play to him, I say.

Maybe it was only the threat of losing test matches that kept him (and keeps other refs) under some sort of control? Me no know.
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

Post Reply