Ulster Backline Attack

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Off the Top
Initiate

Re: Ulster Backline Attack

Post by Off the Top »

Of all our centres I see Stewart Moore as having the greatest potential - but not at 13, I see him as an inside centre.

I think he has the talent to be the second playmaker, he has skilful hands and is getting better defensively - plus he has a great left boot on him to compliment the right of either Burns or Mads.

I'm not a fan of the big bish-bosh inside centre myself.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Any update re Curtis knee injury - looked a really good prospect with a quality skill set, a wee bit like Olding. Presuming we are looking approx Autumn. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’s been a year already for Curtis.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:06 pm.
When was the last you saw the ball go 10 -12 -13 -- (11-14 )
I don’t think many teams can achieve that these days due to lack of time and space - the speed of the rush defence these days is killing the backline play. By the time the ball gets to 12 he can’t pass on as the opposition are practically up in the line at 13 already.

I’ve seen a few plays this weekend trying to get the ball out to the wings and they generally have to do it quite static to allow the time before the rush defence is in their faces and they’ve lost about 15yards doing so.

Unless someone makes a break and gets in behind the rush defence then ship it wide in broken play.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

There are two ways to pass the ball to wing

First a strong pass from 10 -13 laying deeper than normal ( the other is the scrum half with a long pass but the opposition adjust the defence which is why Ruan and Ulster started to become predictable and wings didn't have the space to score)

Or a very deep laying back line unfortunately this usually results in the wing getting the ball about 5 metres from the touch line facing 3 defenders ( wing outside centre and one back row ) because deep laying back lines run diagonal and not straight ( It is nearly impossible to pass to a player 5 - 10 metres behind you running straight playing with an opposition ) its fine on the training ground when you have time to turn but during a game that time does not exist.

The basic failure in getting the ball to wing is the need to play Gain line rugby which means having to play and pass flat

Forwards outside the 22 don't commit to the ruck which means at least 1 back row forward is an additional mid field defender -- usually on 12 allowing the out side centre to rush his opponent who is usually within 4- 6 metres of the gain line --( 12 feet - 18 feet or just over four paces)

Welsh sides tend to play deep backlines, and Leinster have started to because Sexton has started to play deeper to avoid being tackled -- and because he is lying deeper the option to kick is less attractive ie chasers have to run 5 = metres to cross the gain line -- if he over powers the kick the receiver is not under pressure or there is also the possibility of tackling a player in the air if you challenge incorrectly.

The Sexton Lying deeper with a quick pass to 12 has lead to Leinster playing alternative out halfs at 12 eg Byrne and Frawley there is of course the fact that injuries to Henshaw and Ringrose have also made the change essential.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist