Ulster ‘A’ v Leinster ‘A’ Fri 15th Jan 3pm KO Live on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport NI website

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ulster ‘A’ v Leinster ‘A’ Fri 15th Jan 3pm KO Live on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport NI website

Post by kingofthehill »

pip14 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:43 pm Finlay looks a better SH than Doak

MCann and Izy look really good
Don’t take a lot of nonsense.

Doak was too slow at getting the ball away in first half but Finlay couldn’t pace his boots.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster ‘A’ v Leinster ‘A’ Fri 15th Jan 3pm KO Live on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport NI website

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:Sexton still has the upright physique of a sprinter with unbelievable straight line speed. It will be another while before he adjusts fully to the needs of top flight rugby with a step and swerve. If he can do that though the sky's the limit. Still behind the likes of Mclroy in rugby nous for now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Don't worry he has a wicked step on him.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Agreeing with what everyone else has been saying- highly enjoyable match, brilliant performance and. a few standouts as well with McCann, Rea, Reid and Izzy doing really well in the pack, the backs looked pretty dangerous and great kicking form Johnston. Reid's try I think was my favourite - cracking player. I'd love to know what Dan McFarland thought of that- some youngsters definitely putting their hands up- I hope Rea and Reid get more opportunities and Izzy gets a chance. Very interesting Rory being part of the coaching set up for the A's - the way Gusher and iHumph were talking he either is going to be or already is Willie's replacement in the academy, which sounds promising..
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Just watched the match - really entertaining and a super result. Standout players? McCann, Izzy, Sexton and Doak. Doak is the most interesting. I hope he matures and doesn't get carried away with himself and is humble enough to learn. He's by no means the finished article but he can both box kick and throw a quick, clean long pass. He does seem to gurn a lot, looks sort of too confident. Humility and confidence can go together.

All in all looks really good for the future. Could we be soon be sending a hooker to Mexico to get him game time? :lol:
rosiemccann
Novice

Post by rosiemccann »

Thoroughly enjoyable game. Really impressed with a lot of the young guns. Izuchukwu, McCann, Rea and Sheridan all standouts in the pack, some lovely handling and offloading, and showed they weren’t afraid to take it up the guts either, which they done with considerable success.

Backs had a very good outing too, have always thought Johnston looked alright, great from the tee today. Agree with folk that Doak has a bit to do, but again thought he’d a good outing. Centres and Sexton looked well too.

Could we just call that the pro14 fixture and take the 5 point win, pretty please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

solidarity wrote:Just watched the match - really entertaining and a super result. Standout players? McCann, Izzy, Sexton and Doak. Doak is the most interesting. I hope he matures and doesn't get carried away with himself and is humble enough to learn. He's by no means the finished article but he can both box kick and throw a quick, clean long pass. He does seem to gurn a lot, looks sort of too confident. Humility and confidence can go together.

All in all looks really good for the future. Could we be soon be sending a hooker to Mexico to get him game time? Image
Just like his da...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

I must have been watching a different game cos I thought Doak was awful. Pretty much everybody else had a great game bar him. Certainly not writing him off by any means but That’s 3 games I’ve watched him and I’m yet to see what all the fuss is about.
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

A very watchable match and there was much positive rugby on display from both sides helped by a sympathetic ref who allowed the game to flow.
However from an Ulster point of view let’s not get to far ahead of ourselves.While there are players who have broken through to the Ulster team and obviously others ready to break through to the Pro 12/14/16 or whatever it will be this display by Ulster was from a development team some of whom were at school just before the Covid outbreak. I have been reading comments here and on FB ecstatic about the win but very critical sometimes of an individual player as if he was a long established professional player. I’m certain these young players read social media so let’s not let the armchair managers expectations be to much inflated about individual performances particularity when players in key positions follow managers instructions in managing a game.
So for me it was a great game to watch and a great result which left me with great expectations for the future of Ulster and Irish rugby from these players and the management team behind them. Brilliant let’s have more and well done.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The thing I noticed about Finlay was he looked less out of place amongst the players than last year with the Ireland squad

He looked taller and more robust .

The Jury is still out on Doak in my opinion -- he wastes to much time appealing , if the ref can see the ball it is basically a waste of time . The ref in Pro rugby is there to keep the game going ( he blows when he thinks the game is being deliberately lowered down ) The Laws are thus applied not for infringements as such but to enable the game to continue

If the referee fails to react for the first attempted appeal there is little point continuing the act unless in side the 22 --- refs love to penalise inside the 22 .
-- although he did control the pace of the game well but as I say it should be by the timing of the play rather than by the weight of the pass -- but given the group don't play that often together -- there would be no expectation as to the weight ( speed) of the pass. scrum half should aim for consistency of pass regarding height and speed,

Both scrum halfs were superior to those of Leinster.

Rea and McCann outplayed the Leinster Back row and the result reflects that fact .

In the end the game was changers were Johnston ( out half ) Rea and McCann ( back row ) and Sexton -- who used his speed very intelligently when chasing -- he arrives earlier than most -- slows and allows the player to commit before trying for the tackle -- most chasers arrive just that little be later and have committed themselves rather than making the receiver commit -- its a millisecond difference but it's the difference between tackling the man and being made to look an idiot.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Having played for twenty years, albeit in the amateur days, I always thought the first criteria for a scrum-half was to be a mouthy wee ballix !
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

skiboo wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:05 am A very watchable match and there was much positive rugby on display from both sides helped by a sympathetic ref who allowed the game to flow.
However from an Ulster point of view let’s not get to far ahead of ourselves.While there are players who have broken through to the Ulster team and obviously others ready to break through to the Pro 12/14/16 or whatever it will be this display by Ulster was from a development team some of whom were at school just before the Covid outbreak. I have been reading comments here and on FB ecstatic about the win but very critical sometimes of an individual player as if he was a long established professional player. I’m certain these young players read social media so let’s not let the armchair managers expectations be to much inflated about individual performances particularity when players in key positions follow managers instructions in managing a game.
So for me it was a great game to watch and a great result which left me with great expectations for the future of Ulster and Irish rugby from these players and the management team behind them. Brilliant let’s have more and well done.
I don’t disagree with any of that, albeit you’re swimming against the tide to some extent. I imagine/hope that the Academy provides guidance on how to deal with external noise.

It’s not a new thing in itself. Mick Rathbone, a defender for Birmingham, Blackburn and Preston, wrote a cracking and very funny book in which he touched on the issues he had when the newspapers started to mark players out of ten. It got so bad that he’d drive to the station at the crack of dawn to intercept the copies of the Sunday People that had arrived from the printers.

Said he was delighted to get a score of 8 in a league cup game, although that was his aggregate over the two legs.....
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

skiboo wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:05 am A very watchable match and there was much positive rugby on display from both sides helped by a sympathetic ref who allowed the game to flow.
I didn't think anyone had a poor game really - they all had their moments, the team played really well as a collective -all showing great skills. Some players had more standout moments than others but I didn't think any fell below any perceived standard. Sexton shone in the back three but Rankin made some really good reads and Moxham carried well and picked great lines.
Doak ddi seem to take an age at some rucks but he had some lovely moments controlling the game and sweeping the ball away. Finlay could have dome with a bit more game time but looked in his element- both were better than their Leinster counterparts- which Wass the pleasing thing about the whole team- outplayed Leinster.

A word on Sheridan as well- he went pretty well, I rewatched the match and Gusher [and myself] got Sheridan mixed up with McCann on occasion, he's still U20 too so went well.
Some of the lads might need a bit more time to develop but the academy looks to be doing a great job and Dan has a fair few options coming through.

I did hope we would get a look at young Humphreys and see how his game is but hopefully he can get into the U20's Six nations campaign [Sheridan and Humphreys were both in the Christmas U20s camp].
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

anyone have a link to re-watch?

great game by Ulster, quality athletes 1-15 with high skill level, great to see. >appl
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Bayern wrote:anyone have a link to re-watch?

great game by Ulster, quality athletes 1-15 with high skill level, great to see. >appl
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/rugby-union/55649976

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Leinster were indeed offside a lot. What was pleasing was Ulster joined them. Sick of seeing Ulster sides continuing to play by the rules when it's clear they are not being enforced.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk