Ulster ‘A’ v Leinster ‘A’ Fri 15th Jan 3pm KO Live on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport NI website

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

turko
Novice
Location: Exiled but heart remains at the cathedral on match day

Re: Ulster ‘A’ v Leinster ‘A’ Fri 15th Jan 3pm KO Live on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport NI website

Post by turko »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:47 am No its not -- watch Jackson or Ruan the arm movement is minimal the firmness and sureness of their pass comes from their wrists.

The same thing is true in golf -- the power of the shot is provided by timing the use of the wrists.
Why don’t you watch Aron Smith, some might say the best in the world. Can’t remember him mentioning the wrists.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q9LY3Ln-Hk
Bobbievee
Warrior

Re: Ulster ‘A’ v Leinster ‘A’ Fri 15th Jan 3pm KO Live on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport NI website

Post by Bobbievee »

Now I have a real dilemma.
Do I listen to the All blacks scrum half and the Lions scrum half...........OR Rumn?

Real toughie
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

both Bobby --- because the arms give the pass direction

my father proved it to me once on the 4th or 5th hole at Fortwilliam he hit a ball using both arms and then hit a ball using one -- there was little difference in the distance the balls went but the one using both arms was straighter, now granted me dad was a time served mechanic in the days before power tools and had extremely strong wrists.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Did he mention anything about his stance, rotation of the body and transference of weight?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

rumncoke wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:50 pm both Bobby --- because the arms give the pass direction

my father proved it to me once on the 4th or 5th hole at Fortwilliam he hit a ball using both arms and then hit a ball using one -- there was little difference in the distance the balls went but the one using both arms was straighter, now granted me dad was a time served mechanic in the days before power tools and had extremely strong wrists.

OMG
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:36 pm He also needs to learn to pass with his wrists rather than swing with his arms .

The power in a pass comes from the wrists -- the arms only provide direction.

For those who disbelieve try passing with out using your wrists and using arms only -- you'll lob the ball in the air towards the person.
This is obviously so self evident, I don't think there's anything to discuss here.

Just look at every great tennis champion - before they became great tennis players, they were all great badminton players.

no . . . wait . . . :scratch:
rumncoke wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:50 pm both Bobby --- because the arms give the pass direction

my father proved it to me once on the 4th or 5th hole at Fortwilliam he hit a ball using both arms and then hit a ball using one
That's where I was going wrong when I tried to play golf - I used golf sticks instead of my arms. :oops:
rumncoke wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:50 pm ... now granted me dad was a time served mechanic in the days before power tools and had extremely strong wrists.
You really think that was why he had strong wrists? >ES
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Captain have you ever tried to undo a rusty tight bolt with a spanner believe me it takes a strong wrist and application of pressure the right way and time. Its hard work. A spanner is not a wheel brace its short with very little leverage.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
10 or 15 only
Initiate

Post by 10 or 15 only »

.... even tried WD40 :duck:
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:47 am No its not -- watch Jackson or Ruan the arm movement is minimal the firmness and sureness of their pass comes from their wrists.

The same thing is true in golf -- the power of the shot is provided by timing the use of the wrists.
This is complete an utter nonsense (like the rest of the post), the power in a golf swing does not come from the wrists, not even slightly. The power in a golf swing is entirely down to the rotation of the hips and upper body with the rest of the body following. At no point should you flick your wrists during a golf swing, in fact the wrists should remain neutral to maintain stability in the swing and accuracy.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I think we can safely assume that Rum’s dad wasn’t John Jacobs.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Rum ❤ One off the wrist
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

As much as it is enjoyable to a point surely we are getting a bit >Off_Topic_Man
New topic should be started by a nominated expert of the art and dedicated to 5 knuckle shuffle, or 10 knuckle shuffle
Can we have nominations :stir: Only saying like!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

mea97mb wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:31 pm

This is complete an utter nonsense (like the rest of the post), the power in a golf swing does not come from the wrists, not even slightly. The power in a golf swing is entirely down to the rotation of the hips and upper body with the rest of the body following. At no point should you flick your wrists during a golf swing, in fact the wrists should remain neutral to maintain stability in the swing and accuracy.
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. (Archimedes) Something along those lines anyway.

Same principle roughly as to why golfers use different lengths of golf sticks. The longer ones act as the longer lever and give more hitting power.

I don't think anyone has yet found yer Greek guy's subsequent suggestion, "Give me a lever long enough, a fulcrum on which to place it, and with a flick of my extra strong wrists, I shall move the world."

Maybe it's lying undiscovered in a Greek urn somewhere, though.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

volvo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:19 pm As much as it is enjoyable to a point surely we are getting a bit >Off_Topic_Man
New topic should be started by a nominated expert of the art and dedicated to 5 knuckle shuffle, or 10 knuckle shuffle
Can we have nominations :stir: Only saying like!
NAH!!! :lol:
I'm not arguing -
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Truly legendary wrist action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKaflXTzHw Ginger Baker