All the best Cooney.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

TopPoster
Initiate

All the best Cooney.

Post by TopPoster »

Not in the 6N squad. Must be surely considering his future now. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him go at the end of the season to a bigger pay day in England or France (wish London Irish could afford him....😂).
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: All the best Cooney.

Post by jean valjean »

"Hi Jordi, jack, marty, John, We need you to go ulster if u want to further your international career. You'll get chances don't worry"

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Pathetic when you consider Munster reserve scrum half is included. Casey only got 10 minutes against Leinster and was rubbish. Box kicked possession away. They were poor box kicks too
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I seem to remember the phrase 'face doesn't fit' being used a few years ago. Seems appropriate now.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Interesting how many Ulster players faces don't fit, Cave, McCloskey, Cooney, a lot of the contingent that has come up from Leinster. If you were an ambitious player what Irish team would you want to play for?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Not going anywhere.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Get in
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

I hope Cooney answers the door wearing an ‘I heart Paddy Jackson’ T-shirt whenever they come knocking after the injuries mount.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He would be better off looking for a kiwi granny in his lineage.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Dave wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:09 pm He would be better off looking for a kiwi granny in his lineage.
Cooney has been unlucky but he’s missed his boat unfortunately. He’s not going to be here for next World Cup and he’s not better than Murray so put yourself in Farrell shoes. What’s the point picking him when he could be getting JGP and CC experience?
The King is dead. Long live the King.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

kingofthehill wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:37 pm
Dave wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:09 pm He would be better off looking for a kiwi granny in his lineage.
Cooney has been unlucky but he’s missed his boat unfortunately. He’s not going to be here for next World Cup and he’s not better than Murray so put yourself in Farrell shoes. What’s the point picking him when he could be getting JGP and CC experience?
Doesn’t persistence with Sexton contradict this thinking? Cooney had better form than Murray at times and was still overlooked.

I understand the rationale but it’s so annoying. Move on Peinaar to bring through homegrown talent who you continually overlook in favour of a foreign export. No sense to me.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

kingofthehill wrote:
He should be selecting on form for now not a world cup that's two years away. If Farrell is putting his eggs in an Irish world cup basket then he is a fool. The 6 Nations is the bread and butter. The world cup, for a team that have never made a semi final, is a pipe dream. A pipe full of Mary Jane leaves. Cooney is at his peak and being absolutely shafted from the wrong end of the brush.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yep.

Furthermore, there are a bunch of players of a similar age (Ruddock, just having been recalled, for one) that are less likely to be in good shape for the WC than he is.

Casey’s selection is premature but more understandable than that of JGP.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

germcevoy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm
kingofthehill wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:37 pm
Doesn’t persistence with Sexton contradict this thinking? Cooney had better form than Murray at times and was still overlooked.

I understand the rationale but it’s so annoying. Move on Peinaar to bring through homegrown talent who you continually overlook in favour of a foreign export. No sense to me.
Janny intends playing on 'til the RWC.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Lets face facts. Sexton will be in the Irish team until he is at least forty no matter how he plays and wlll then be replaced by another pseudo Irishman from no matter where.
It is no longer a true Irish team if you look at how many incomers are in the team.
John Cooney has been treated so badly. My advice to him is that he has the ability so go overseas and get the money while he can and I feel very sad in saying this are he is one of the Ulster greats and a fantastic guy on and of the field. It would be great to see him winning a trophy with a French or English team.
For years I attended every Irish home game and now to be perfectly honest I no longer consider the team truely Irish and will not even be watching them on TV.
Sadly after the Jackson treatment by the powers that be, at last my my love affair with Irish rugby has died a final death.