All the best Cooney.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

germcevoy
Initiate

Re: All the best Cooney.

Post by germcevoy »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:25 am
germcevoy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm
kingofthehill wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:37 pm
Dave wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:09 pm He would be better off looking for a kiwi granny in his lineage.
Cooney has been unlucky but he’s missed his boat unfortunately. He’s not going to be here for next World Cup and he’s not better than Murray so put yourself in Farrell shoes. What’s the point picking him when he could be getting JGP and CC experience?
Doesn’t persistence with Sexton contradict this thinking? Cooney had better form than Murray at times and was still overlooked.

I understand the rationale but it’s so annoying. Move on Peinaar to bring through homegrown talent who you continually overlook in favour of a foreign export. No sense to me.
Janny intends playing on 'til the RWC.
Shouldn’t be Jannys choice though. The selection decisions of the last few Irish squads have me convinced that they are up to no good. Seems to me that if you’re on a central contract then long term plan and form no longer factor and you will be picked because you are on a big wage.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

germcevoy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:31 pm
big mervyn wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:25 am
germcevoy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm
kingofthehill wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:37 pm
Dave wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:09 pm He would be better off looking for a kiwi granny in his lineage.
Cooney has been unlucky but he’s missed his boat unfortunately. He’s not going to be here for next World Cup and he’s not better than Murray so put yourself in Farrell shoes. What’s the point picking him when he could be getting JGP and CC experience?
Doesn’t persistence with Sexton contradict this thinking? Cooney had better form than Murray at times and was still overlooked.

I understand the rationale but it’s so annoying. Move on Peinaar to bring through homegrown talent who you continually overlook in favour of a foreign export. No sense to me.
Janny intends playing on 'til the RWC.
Shouldn’t be Jannys choice though. The selection decisions of the last few Irish squads have me convinced that they are up to no good. Seems to me that if you’re on a central contract then long term plan and form no longer factor and you will be picked because you are on a big wage.
Quite. It's the Irish way though.

He seems to think that he's the Jimmy Anderson of Irish rugby. The big difference is, Jimmy's still world class.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Seems to me that if you’re on a central contract then long term plan and form no longer factor and you will be picked because you are on a big wage.
[/quote]

Only picking up on that now Ger? A bit like the EOS era when it was harder to be dropped than selected.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:33 am Seems to me that if you’re on a central contract then long term plan and form no longer factor and you will be picked because you are on a big wage.

Only picking up on that now Ger? A bit like the EOS era when it was harder to be dropped than selected.
[/quote]

I’m still a young pup.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I didn’t realise John had recently changed agents.

He should have a few decent offers on the table this time next year.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Personally my feel on Irish selection is based on Key Player --influence --

On the same theme as Shankly -- who defined football as having a spine -- Goalkeeper, Centre back, midfield centre, centre forward, provided that spine was good the rest of the team only needed sound basics -- ball control, pass, and shot.

Thus applying that to Irish selection -- and key players -- scrum half out half , hooker , second row, -- if the coach has those players defined -- those players then influence the selection of the players beside them,

Eg Flannery O'Connell Springer ( O Gara ) BoD and Kearney. The influence comes in one to one post match analysis provided by players if those players desire friends around them and your on the outside looking in -- not much hope for you other than somebody being injured.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:27 am Personally my feel on Irish selection is based on Key Player --influence --

On the same theme as Shankly -- who defined football as having a spine -- Goalkeeper, Centre back, midfield centre, centre forward, provided that spine was good the rest of the team only needed sound basics -- ball control, pass, and shot.

Thus applying that to Irish selection -- and key players -- scrum half out half , hooker , second row, -- if the coach has those players defined -- those players then influence the selection of the players beside them,

Eg Flannery O'Connell Springer ( O Gara ) BoD and Kearney. The influence comes in one to one post match analysis provided by players if those players desire friends around them and your on the outside looking in -- not much hope for you other than somebody being injured.
Correct. Ireland has a habit of revering top players to the point that their influence becomes a problem.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:27 am On the same theme as Shankly -- who defined football as having a spine -- Goalkeeper, Centre back, midfield centre, centre forward, provided that spine was good the rest of the team only needed sound basics -- ball control, pass, and shot.
When Shankly took over a struggling Liverpool in the old League division 2, it is true that he identified the spine as being most important, in need of priority sorting out, but to suggest that the rest of the team needed only the basics is not only wrong, but also insulting to those players that Bill brought in to play around that spine.

I ain't no Liverpool fan, but to suggest that the likes of Ian Callaghan, Tommy Smith and Roger Hunt only brought the basics of ball control, passing and shooting is outrageous.

What Shankly also brought to the table was a recognition of when a team, including those key players who formed the "spine" of the team needed to be dismantled and rebuilt. Something the Ireland rugby management has failed to do over many years.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Grumps you are letting Rumn get to you again. Deep breath required. Count to ten.............
And then ignore!
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

And in Man U terms, where did one G Best fit into the spine?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Best never played for liverpool --- Capt you underestimate the importance of the basics --- Shankly always maintained he could make players fit and play to the his game plan provided they had the basics. ( and attitude to apply themselves )

His game plan was rather simple get the ball down towards the corners and cross back to-wards players facing the goal a feature missing in the current Liverpool side to often the ball is being cross in the box from between the box and the half way line == thus easier for the defence to clear and harder of the forwards to score -- control and shoot -- is easier than control turn and shoot or control pass for a team mate to control and shoot.

liverpool have great players their ball control and passing to players in space is excellent -- but nobody is attacking the goal they are unfortunately boring to watch.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Rumn
Wow, Best never played for Liverpool!! Thanks for that Rumn.
That would be why my question started with " and in Man utd terms...." as a test of you theory.

We all know that you have difficulty in writing, is this deficit now extended to reading?
Blackskulllad
Novice

Post by Blackskulllad »

I was bullied at primary school and secondary. Because of asthma and ezcema.

When you didn't fit in you got picked on, by a group. Funny how tough these bullies were when you caught one on their own.

I've seen this on many forums too including here.

You might not agree with what another user says. But the pack mentality of picking on another user is shameful.

There are plenty of runts on this forum need to take a long hard look in the mirror. Then address the issues they have, that make them need to belittle others
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Agreed, keyboard warriors. Wouldn’t say snuff to rumn’s face no doubt
Blackskulllad
Novice

Post by Blackskulllad »

Necks seem to stretch over a keyboard