Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Off the Top
Initiate

Re: Contract Situation

Post by Off the Top »

Well that's the long and the short of it! :duck:

Hope to see young Stewart getting a run out soon. I hear he is quite a prospect.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Wow, Carter signs for 2 yrs - surprised he fancied it to be honest.
Well I’m intrigued as to how that backrow balances out with Naka in there prob at 6. Suppose Jordi / Reidy / possibly Timoney to a lesser extent could feature at 8. Feels like we are an 8 short though.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We are short an 8 because we let one go and didn't bring in another one (yet).
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Ravenhillman
Novice

Post by Ravenhillman »

We will miss Marcel at the breakdown. I think we are short an 8 and also an out and out 7. I don’t know if there is anyone in the academy ready to fill these slots. I had thought Marcus Rea might be the one to fill the 7 slot but not sure the management are of the same opinion. I think McCann will fill the 8 slot...but probably not for a couple of years. Any sign of other incoming backrowers?
In rugby the score isn’t important....it’s the taking apart
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Matt Faddes, Iain Henderson, Alby Mathewson, Louis Ludik

Billy Burns, John Cooney, Tom O’Toole, Stuart McCloskey, Jack McGrath, Marty Moore, Matthew Rea, Sean Reidy, Leone Nakawara, James Hume, Craig Gilroy, Marcus Rea, Angus Curtis

Will Addison, Jordi Murphy, Rob Lyttle, Stewart Moore, Jacob Stockdale, John Andrew, Luke Marshall, Alan O’Connor, Robert Baloucoune, Aaron Sexton, Kieran Treadwell, Andrew Warwick, Nathan Doak, Rob Herring, Ian Madigan, Sam Carter, Michael Lowry, Tom Stewart

Unsure
Bill Johnston, Greg Jones, Ross Kane, Adam McBurney, Kyle McCall, David O’Connor, Eric O’Sullivan, Nick Timoney, Gareth Milasinovich, Dave Shanahan
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Reidy and Jordi are both good at the breakdown. If tasked with that role the are more than capable. Maybe not as powerful as Marcell, but technique is important.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

So Tom Willis, younger brother of our previous wasps target. What's the chances? Not played for England yet and IQ then.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

jean valjean wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:59 pm So Tom Willis, younger brother of our previous wasps target. What's the chances? Not played for England yet and IQ then.
Would be worth a punt.

Real shame if Allison can’t over come niggles and push on, open net currently. Saying that big opportunity for a fringe player somewhere to come in and become first choice 8. Just don’t see us signing anyone else.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:So Tom Willis, younger brother of our previous wasps target. What's the chances? Not played for England yet and IQ then.

If we targetted his brother I'm sure he is on the radar too. Could potentially throw the Marcel compo at him or someone like him?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Dave wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:34 pm
jean valjean wrote:So Tom Willis, younger brother of our previous wasps target. What's the chances? Not played for England yet and IQ then.

If we targetted his brother I'm sure he is on the radar too. Could potentially throw the Marcel compo at him or someone like him?
Is the Marcel compo not being used to get Nakarawa?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Naka6, Jordi 7 and Reidy off the bench for the rest of the backrow next season would be my choice as things stand.

We’ve gained a 6 but lost an 8. Different gap, that’s all.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:40 pm

Would hope Naka’s wages are a bit lower than the future Bulls player plus there will have been some compo for the lost year.

Maybe just enough to sign Roger Wilson again...
Ravenhillman
Novice

Post by Ravenhillman »

I agree that both Reidy and Murphy are good at the breakdown..but we already had them and that is not Nakarawa’s strength. Think we need an out and out 7 to get there more quickly than we have been since retirement of Chris Henry. Need to slow opposition ball down more. Another big ball carrying number 8 increases our SID.
In rugby the score isn’t important....it’s the taking apart
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Neill_M wrote:

That would be the wages we are not paying Marcel. I assume there is also compo or else we got stroked by the bulls.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Snipe Watson wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:55 pm Reidy and Jordi are both good at the breakdown. If tasked with that role the are more than capable. Maybe not as powerful as Marcell, but technique is important.
Great point Snipe, the loss of Marcell doesn't mean we lose anything at the breakdown there is just a shift in dynamics. We play Marcell very much to his strengths, he does turnovers and carries very well, but it's probably an unbalanced back row with the other two playing supporting roles, doing the less glamour tasks.

Reidy and Murphy are both very capable if assigned the turnover duty, if authorised and not told to step back because another player has been allocated that task. We don't have all three back rows rampaging around looking a turnover.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18