Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Contract Situation

Post by solidarity »

Dave wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:40 am Apparently some 'cracking signings' will be announced today...
8.00pm. Maybe on Newsnight... UTV Live? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Delighted to re-sign Izzy. Hopefully he’ll be in great physical shape post injury return - clear from his recent article he still has a lot of technical development ahead - athletically a great prospect.
I’d be bloody surprised if UR had any money for another signing - I’ve never had the opinion that UR had the private sponsorship Leinster or Munster have for signings or wage supplements. That said it leaves a clear hole that can be filled for any ambitious pup.

I’m happy to give Leone a fair go. Pedrie & Big Nick were both talents that had big q’s over them coming to UR & they ended up massive UR players. Being at Glasgow knowing he’s going couldn’t be easy. I’m prepared to give him a fair go, he needs this to work for him, his versatility could work for us.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

How versatile is he though?

One Test start at 6 and one at 8 (the latter in an embarrassing WC defeat against Uruguay).
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Our 2nd row frankly has been threadbare for several yrs, he can cover there straight off. I’m happy if the row is covered, he could play at 6, we’ll see if he can cover 8.
Rating a Fijian on international appearances makes no sense, or indeed team performances re strategy for that matter.
He could be a waste, but for me his ceiling is definitely a potential bonus for UR, he needs a big pre season to get fit. I suspect there was very little financial options for Dan re recruitment.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Based on his lumbering recent performances for Glasgow, it’s hard to see him playing anywhere other than second row.

BUT, I think he has played some 8 at Racing and, if the stats I saw were correct, he’s won 8 playing there and lost 9 or something. No doubt we’re hoping for an impact from him in that role.

6 may be a big ask, even if we get him fit,

Not sure about the financial situation but there was another number 8 called Coetzee available who we may meet in the Challenge Cup Final.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

If he's motivated and fit he will do well. I'm working on the assumption that he will be both.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:24 am If he's motivated and fit he will do well. I'm working on the assumption that he will be both.
No different from ourselves then :lol:

I'm a couple of stone overweight, I'm not really motivated to get off the sofa most evenings, indulge in beer, fine wines and whisky at the weekend.

Now could I get myself into reasonable shape for my summer holidays end of August / start of rugby season.

If I can Leone can, but will I?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:21 am
Dave wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:24 am If he's motivated and fit he will do well. I'm working on the assumption that he will be both.
No different from ourselves then :lol:

I'm a couple of stone overweight, I'm not really motivated to get off the sofa most evenings, indulge in beer, fine wines and whisky at the weekend.

Now could I get myself into reasonable shape for my summer holidays end of August / start of rugby season.

Happy International Bat Appreciation Day, where's my card?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:21 am
No different from ourselves then Image

Happy International Bat Appreciation Day, where's my card?
Well you sound in good form Image

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I see Hume, O’Toole and Matty Rea have signed extensions until 2024.

Great news on Hume although at this stage of his career it would have been a shock to see him go anywhere else.

O’Toole will hopefully continue to develop and become Ulster’s no.1 and back up to Furlong for Ireland. Still has some way to go on both fronts.

Matty Rea - hmm. Never rated him that highly and reckon he must be currently 7th choice backrower behind Vermeulen, Timoney, Marcus Rea, Jordi, Reidy and McCann. His brother has shown more promise already than Matty has in about 60 caps for Ulster.

Given the lack of locks (AOC, Tredwell, Carter and the constantly unavailable Hendy plus 2 short term fixes in Kareney and Dave O’Connor), could Rea Senior be used more as cover at lock in the future?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

LHP - Jack McGrath, Eric O’Sullivan
Hooker – Bradley Roberts
THP - Ross Kane, Marty Moore
Lock - David O’Connor, Mick Kearney
Backrow - Sean Reidy, Marcus Rea, Greg Jones, Jordi Murphy
SH - John Cooney, Dave Shanahan
10 - Billy Burns
Centre - Stuart McCloskey, Angus Curtis
Back 3 Player - Craig Gilroy, Will Addison

LHP - Andrew Warwick, Callum Reid
Hooker – John Andrew, Rob Herring, Tom Stewart
THP - Gareth Milasinovich
Lock - Alan O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, Sam Carter, Iain Henderson, Cormac Izuchukwu
Backrow - Nick Timoney, David McCann, Duane Vermeulen
SH - Nathan Doak
10 - Ian Madigan, Michael Lowry
Centre - Stewart Moore, Luke Marshall
Back 3 Player - Rob Lyttle, Jacob Stockdale, Robert Baloucoune, Aaron Sexton, Ethan McIlroy

LHP -
Hooker –
THP - Tom O’Toole
Lock -
Backrow - Matthew Rea
SH -
10 -
Centre - James Hume
Back 3 Player -
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Bart S wrote:I see Hume, O’Toole and Matty Rea have signed extensions until 2024.

Great news on Hume although at this stage of his career it would have been a shock to see him go anywhere else.

O’Toole will hopefully continue to develop and become Ulster’s no.1 and back up to Furlong for Ireland. Still has some way to go on both fronts.

Matty Rea - hmm. Never rated him that highly and reckon he must be currently 7th choice backrower behind Vermeulen, Timoney, Marcus Rea, Jordi, Reidy and McCann. His brother has shown more promise already than Matty has in about 60 caps for Ulster.

Given the lack of locks (AOC, Tredwell, Carter and the constantly unavailable Hendy plus 2 short term fixes in Kareney and Dave O’Connor), could Rea Senior be used more as cover at lock in the future?
2 good renewals there.

One is stealing a living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

kingofthehill wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:47 pm
Bart S wrote:I see Hume, O’Toole and Matty Rea have signed extensions until 2024.

2 good renewals there.

+1 But little bro is easily surpassing him now
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

kingofthehill wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:47 pm

2 good renewals there.

Agree fully. Remarkably soft for a big man. See they've further invested in Burns.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Marty Moore 2 more years