Ulster MOTM v Ospreys

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Ulster MOTM v Ospreys

Michael Lowry
8%
Rob Lyttle
15%
James Hume
No votes
Stuart McCloskey
3%
Jacob Stockdale
No votes
Ian Madigan
3%
John Cooney
No votes
Andrew Warwick
No votes
John Andrew
3%
Marty Moore
No votes
Alan O’Connor
No votes
Kieran Treadwell
No votes
Greg Jones
No votes
Jordi Murphy
No votes
Nick Timoney
48%
Adam McBurney
No votes
Eric O’Sullivan
No votes
Ross Kane
No votes
Cormac Izuchukwu
No votes
Sean Reidy
15%
Alby Mathewson
No votes
Matt Faddes
3%
Robert Baloucoune.
5%

Total votes: 40

Cracker
Squire

Re: Ulster MOTM v Ospreys

Post by Cracker »

Timoney for me and well deserved
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Went for Reidy as he did more to energise the team in one half than anyone else did in 80 mins. Hopefully the overall team performance will refocus the minds for next week. We need to show leinster that they need to have their 1st team out to beat us.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:08 am R Baloucoune for me not that he had a sparkling performance but because he was the player I watched most closely to see if his injury had affected his game --and with so much at stake I consider he played as well as the circumstances allowed him.

The rest of the players in the first half defended well but it was a team effort rather than an individual one but none of the backs performed well ball in hand.On the first half performance only one player achieved something above the rest Timoney but is a single run worthy of title MOTM ? A Match is 80 -- for some players 40+ minutes --- not 30 seconds . ?

He provided the Moment of the Match but like the most players the first half was a team effort ofd success and failure improved upon in the second.
I very much doubt anyone gave Timoney MotM for a single run or 30 seconds. That single run galvanised the team and gave belief just at the right time, which was much needed, but if that was all he did, he wouldn't have got my vote. He grafted away for the full match and made a massive contribution overall, not just for 30 seconds. Maybe you just didn't see that, but your explanation of why you gave your vote to Baloucoune makes no more sense anyway.

FWIW, I was greatly impressed with Rob Baloucoune, His time out doesn't seem to have taken away any of his pace, and he does seem to have more physicality about him. Now he seems to have the option of beating his opponent by pace, or by running through him.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

His run might have -- but then so could the half time team talk -- my point was everybody was grafting and all made mistakes for sheer graft Hume must be up there given that the lad was facing playerscoming at pace.

My point with Baloucoune was that coming back from such an injury it would be an easy option to try and have a cantor rather than a gallop -- he didn't .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rum has definitely argued in the past that a player not playing the full 80 or close to, should not get motm. Bobby B only played a half.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:48 pm
rumncoke wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:08 am R Baloucoune for me not that he had a sparkling performance but because he was the player I watched most closely to see if his injury had affected his game --and with so much at stake I consider he played as well as the circumstances allowed him.

The rest of the players in the first half defended well but it was a team effort rather than an individual one but none of the backs performed well ball in hand.On the first half performance only one player achieved something above the rest Timoney but is a single run worthy of title MOTM ? A Match is 80 -- for some players 40+ minutes --- not 30 seconds . ?

He provided the Moment of the Match but like the most players the first half was a team effort ofd success and failure improved upon in the second.
I very much doubt anyone gave Timoney MotM for a single run or 30 seconds. That single run galvanised the team and gave belief just at the right time, which was much needed, but if that was all he did, he wouldn't have got my vote. He grafted away for the full match and made a massive contribution overall, not just for 30 seconds. Maybe you just didn't see that, but your explanation of why you gave your vote to Baloucoune makes no more sense anyway.

FWIW, I was greatly impressed with Rob Baloucoune, His time out doesn't seem to have taken away any of his pace, and he does seem to have more physicality about him. Now he seems to have the option of beating his opponent by pace, or by running through him.
Couldn't help but think, watching RB, that Kearney would have ended up in Row Z in the RDS if he'd been on Rob's wing, and not scored that feckin BP try in the corner!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I am being consistent in that in my opinion the first half was a no show by anyone — a good team defense does provide a man of the match .
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:22 am I am being consistent in that in my opinion the first half was a no show by anyone — a good team defense does provide a man of the match .
By that reasoning, (Rumn has reasoning??? :shock: ) then, by your own admission, Timoney had 30 good seconds in the first half while everyone else had none. That makes him player of the first half and a head start on everyone else for player of the second half.

Also, go and look at his stats - by his tackle count, he contributed greatly to "a good team defense", ergo he must be up there for consideration by your criteria.

Just because you only saw him have "a single run" over the course of 80 minutes doesn't convince me that what I saw over 80 minutes was wrong.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:28 am My point with Baloucoune was that coming back from such an injury it would be an easy option to try and have a cantor* rather than a gallop -- he didn't
Coming back from injury or not, if he wasn't fit enough to have "a gallop", he shouldn't have been in the match day squad. :roll:

I'm sure he didn't earn his place in the squad by cantering (sic) through training.

* Not sure what singing brings to the role of winger - unless he's already joined the celestial choir?
I'm not arguing -
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Being fit enough is one thing but mental attitude is another

To me Gilroy is fit enough but he seems to have a mental brake I have yet to see Gilroy play the game the way he did before being injured. .

I attach no fault to that statement having a serious injury affects you it is a human reaction .
Tap+Go
Novice

Post by Tap+Go »

Agreed Rum. There’s the mental side coming back from a serious injury and natural tendency is to play with the handbrake on so to speak. For an older player maybe they have lost that yard of pace but maybe it’s the concern that go full pace & they know they’ll not last & that one more knock may be their career. Professional rugby is so unforgiving an arena in this regard - due to the sheer physicality required and standards. Dip slightly whether physically or mentally and you can look miles off the pace.

Really encouraging comeback from Baloucoune looked very sharp.