Ulster v Leinster Sat Mar 6th 7:35pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Leinster Sat Mar 6th 7:35pm KO

Post by rumncoke »

What about jvdfouler a shoulder to the chin of o’Toole and and an elbow to Lowry’ s jaw at 38 : 40

Both players were felled by the impacts of the blows delivered

The gentle prop at the other side of Warwick’s misplace forearm continue to press against said forearm — thus hardly a blow of any consequence .

O Toole also got a split lip coming in contact with Rudducks elbow
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bobbievee wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:01 pm Grumps
Nt sure if you are in the same time zone as GMT, but something slightly weird, or even sad, about you posting on several threads at 3.20am...................and even sadder and weirder that I read them shortly afterwards!

Blame it on lockdown
I am indeed in GMT, but nothing to do with lockdown. I wish.

Sadly have only managed 2 full nights sleep in the past 3(ish) years, due to chronic and acute back pain. Sometimes the only thing to do is get out of bed and try to distract one's self until tiredness kicks in again and some more sleep may (or may not) be possible. :(

I don't always log in here - sometimes I just get up and try to walk around the house, sometimes try to read if I can get comfortable, sometimes put the tele on (or You Tube) and try to find something interesting or funny to watch.

I can't complain though - with the accidents I've had, (2 neck injuries and a double # lower back) I could be a lot worse. At least I can still walk (shortish distances anyway).

Don't take life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive!

(or maybe you will.) :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bullneck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:15 pm I moved on to play at Collegians, which was the season after they beat City of Derry in to win the Senior Cup. There were six others who also joined from the school at this time and from then on, until the time of the merger with NIRFC, there were no more than 3 or 4 players arriving from the school on an annual basis, this despite constant lobbying and various meetings asking for this type of commitment.
I'm open to correction but I think the year Collegians beat City of Derry in the senior Cup (1982 or 83???) was the same year they lost to QUB in the league final. The irony being that a fair number of the QUB team were ex-Methody and were playing against former school team mates.

Go ahead - someone correct me. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bullneck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:15 pm ... I see that Andrew Warwick has picked up a 2 match ban as reported by RTE

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/031 ... -red-card/

Yet there have been no further reports of action on any of the Leinster players. This despite comment (with which I fully concur) by Owen Doyle in his column in the IT: -

"In the Match of Cards, Ulster v Leinster, referee Frank Murphy unwisely allowed himself to be talked into a red card by TMO Olly Hodges; Murphy’s original “decision” of yellow, was undoubtedly the correct call. Insult is often added to injury and Leinster’s Jimmy O’Brien was very fortunate that the referee saw no more than ‘yellow’ in his collision into Ian Madigan."

You have to wonder sometimes!!!
Strange reading for me was that they deemed it a low entry offence because the contact to head/throat was "secondary" and no injury was incurred.

Am I wrong in thinking that if the primary contact was not on the head or throat, it should not have been a red card to start with?
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It's pretty sickening really. The game is struggling with managing the health and wellbeing of players through increasing concussion issues. Two other offences striking players to the face causing said players to be knocked to the ground with the force of the impact. It seems they are more concerned with saving face than actually ensuring players are protected.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:37 pm
Bullneck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:15 pm I moved on to play at Collegians, which was the season after they beat City of Derry in to win the Senior Cup. There were six others who also joined from the school at this time and from then on, until the time of the merger with NIRFC, there were no more than 3 or 4 players arriving from the school on an annual basis, this despite constant lobbying and various meetings asking for this type of commitment.
I'm open to correction but I think the year Collegians beat City of Derry in the senior Cup (1982 or 83???) was the same year they lost to QUB in the league final. The irony being that a fair number of the QUB team were ex-Methody and were playing against former school team mates.

Go ahead - someone correct me. :lol:
Cap’n,

I would not have the audacity to correct a fellow Collegian! However..... whilst you are correct in that Collegians won the 1982/83 Senior Cup beating City of Derry in the final many of the QUB ‘Collegians’ had moved on - indeed Ricky Stewart was back playing for Collegians and was instrumental in the Cup victory [incidentally my late brother in law scored the winning try in a MOTM performance against Ballymena in the Semi Final]. The QUB side of 1980/81 was the real dream team [beating Collegians in the final that year] with Philip Rainey, Alan and Davy Irwin, Nigel Carr, Trevor Ringland, and of course Ricky Stewart included in their numbers!

To while away your late night wanderings you might enjoy mulling over Pierre Paul Fry’s (better known to you and me as ‘Pop’ Fry - no mean player in his day!) history of Collegians RFC 1890 - 1990 which you can access freely as a pdf on the belfastharlequins.org website. [if you have any diffs let me know and I’ll send a link] It has his usual eye for facts and detail.

Enjoy the memories!
Hope is not a strategy.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:51 pm
To while away your late night wanderings you might enjoy mulling over Pierre Paul Fry’s (better known to you and me as ‘Pop’ Fry - no mean player in his day!) history of Collegians RFC 1890 - 1990 which you can access freely as a pdf on the belfastharlequins.org website. [if you have any diffs let me know and I’ll send a link] It has his usual eye for facts and detail.

Enjoy the memories!
I was recently given a copy of Pop Fry's other tome that listed every methody pupil from 1868 to 1984, listing what honours etc they gained while at school and what they went on to do after school, etc

I looked up myself :shock: Ooh er missus. He was long out of date with my entry. TBF, I never updated anything, but then again, I was never asked to. I do wonder where he got his info (or failed to get his info).

On that basis, I don't believe a word it says. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:20 pm
Nt sure if you are in the same time zone as GMT, but something slightly weird, or even sad, about you posting on several threads at 3.20am...................and even sadder and weirder that I read them shortly afterwards!

Blame it on lockdown

Sadly have only managed 2 full nights sleep in the past 3(ish) years, due to chronic and acute back pain. Sometimes the only thing to do is get out of bed and try to distract one's self until tiredness kicks in again and some more sleep may (or may not) be possible. :(

I don't always log in here - sometimes I just get up and try to walk around the house, sometimes try to read if I can get comfortable, sometimes put the tele on (or You Tube) and try to find something interesting or funny to watch.

I can't complain though - with the accidents I've had, (2 neck injuries and a double # lower back) I could be a lot worse. At least I can still walk (shortish distances anyway).

Grumpy
My sympathy.that's horrendous. My early morning forum visits are not as frequent as yours but if I see you Online' I will initiate a chat........if you are in the mood. I recognise the YouTube browsing.. Last night ie this morning at 4am i realised I had spent 2 hours surfing cricket mishaps, rows and tight finishes. Guiltily I realise that during the last year I should have/could have learned the piano or Chinese or................studies to become a rugby referee?🤔
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:04 pm
Hans Indaruck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:51 pm

Enjoy the memories!
I was recently given a copy of Pop Fry's other tome that listed every methody pupil from 1868 to 1984, listing what honours etc they gained while at school and what they went on to do after school, etc

I looked up myself :shock: Ooh er missus. He was long out of date with my entry. TBF, I never updated anything, but then again, I was never asked to. I do wonder where he got his info (or failed to get his info).

On that basis, I don't believe a word it says. :lol:
#metoo!
Hope is not a strategy.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Bobbievee wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:02 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:20 pm

Blame it on lockdown

Grumpy
My sympathy.that's horrendous. My early morning forum visits are not as frequent as yours but if I see you Online' I will initiate a chat........if you are in the mood. I recognise the YouTube browsing.. Last night ie this morning at 4am i realised I had spent 2 hours surfing cricket mishaps, rows and tight finishes. Guiltily I realise that during the last year I should have/could have learned the piano or Chinese or................studies to become a rugby referee?🤔
Bobbievee - did you come across the infamous underarm incident when surfing the cricket rows?

Loved how the great Richie Benaud summed it up at the time

https://youtu.be/mIL6KZox6Ao
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bart S wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:45 am Bobbievee - did you come across the infamous underarm incident when surfing the cricket rows?

Loved how the great Richie Benaud summed it up at the time

https://youtu.be/mIL6KZox6Ao
A rather unfortunate incident, but within the rules. Not only was the delivery legal at that time, but the bowler took out the risk of a no-ball being called by informing the umpire of his change of action, as required, before he bowled it. The umpires were powerless to prevent it.

And it was probably going to remain within the rules until someone did it. Greg Chappell had his moment of infamy, and in doing so brought about a change in the rules so that no one else would ever do it again (legally).

The irony of it was that the batsman was most unlikely to hit the required 'six' anyway, but Chappell wasn't taking any chance on that (against the wishes of several of his team mates it should be said). It made heroes out of the Kiwis for losing a match they were gonna lose anyway, but gave them the moral high ground.

Not the highest point in Australian cricket history. Technically legal, but certainly against the spirit of the game.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bobbievee wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:02 am ... I recognise the YouTube browsing.. Last night ie this morning at 4am I realised I had spent 2 hours surfing cricket mishaps, rows and tight finishes. Guiltily I realise that during the last year I should have/could have learned the piano or Chinese or................studies to become a rugby referee?🤔
It's amazing what you can find on YouTube. Last night (ie this morning I spent an hour watching old Victor Borge footage - try it. just google it - you'll find lots more of it - very funny, and of its day.

Watching crazy own-goals in football, fights in rugby, great saves in footy - they're all on there.

Some great (and weird) nature footage - such as a lioness that befriended a young antelope and defended it against all comers, until it got bored. I won't spoil the plot on you - okay, I will - she let it go.

Or simply re-watching old episodes of Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister - surprising how little changes in politics! Brilliantly written and ageless - you can still imagine the same things happening today (albeit the language was often not as PC as would be demanded nowadays). The only blot in an otherwise brilliant landscape was Mrs T penning an episode/sketch to appear in herself along with Jim Hacker & Sir Humphrey, to massage her already not insignificant ego. Cringeworthy!
I'm not arguing -
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I'am not a Collegian but attended the Centenary Dinner when an Old work colleague Davy Pollock was I think President , when we worker together I do believe he was Captain and played in the centre. We once travelled form Belfast - Newry ( In them days Banbridge to Loughbrickland took about 20 - 30 mins at 9:30 in the morning the trip to Newry would take over an hour ) we sang rugby songs the whole way with out repeating one -- we did omit a few verses of Eskimo Nell .

The Dinner was in the Conway Hotel and for some reason It took taxis about 2 hours to answer a call I didn't get home until 4 o'clock in the morning. ( The one who is to be feared was not to pleased )

The guest speaker was Tony O -- flew up from Dublin to attend I think -- by the time he arrived most present were already well on the road to inebriation.

I do have a large number od elderly Collegians among my friends -- I will not disclose their names to protect their former innocence , ( lost a long time ago for most of them )

(Now there is something to lighten the darkest hours Down load Eskimo Nell and learn all the verses )

And if your Welsh blood comes to the fore follow it with a few Chapters of the Book of Revelations( pint of Brains in hand)

A Real rugby evening --- that
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:37 am I'am not a Collegian . . .
Ya don't say! :shock:

I don't think anyone but an embittered Instonian could think you had received an edumacation at the college
I'm not arguing -
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

OUCH!