Dragons v Ulster Sat 13th March 7:35pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

lovesthehardground
Steward

Re: Dragons v Ulster Sat 13th March 7:35pm KO

Post by lovesthehardground »

Only saw the highlights on the garlic channel. Lowry looked good in defence but his touch finding is fairly short. Stockdale looked good in returning the kicks. Should be on the bench at least this afternoon but seems out of favour. Getting an injury seems to go against you? Moore took his chances well. Just a question mark over his size? Alby copying Cooney's support running. Didn't seem to be overly popular with his team mates. Not much of a celebration after his try? Couldn't really comment on the pack. They did well in defence of a couple of rolling mauls but offered very little going forward. We are really lightweight upfront. As posted earlier concentrate all our NIQ spots on the pack going forward and get a couple of big ball carriers in although probably not going to happen as we can't have another No.8 or SR under IRFU rules and as its so close to RWC we're hardly going to see any established stars wanting to move and risk non selection for their national teams.
We'll have to be satisfied being runner up in the Pro 12 (still not sure if SA teams will actually be allowed to join) and enjoy the odd heroic performance in Europe. But the harsh reality is that we're not good enough up front to be truly competitive and I can't see how that will change.
LTHG
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Dave wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:45 am Lowry stats:
Tackles made: 16
Tackles missed: 0

He was hunting Roberts down at one point.
I didn't know the stat but, like yourself, Dave, I did think during one clash in the second half that he was actively going for Roberts. More power to the young lad.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Why does Jacob make me nervous. When he's good, he is unstoppable but he seems to make too many handling errors. Is it a confidence thing or maybe a 'thinking too much thing' or something else?
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

solidarity wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:36 pm A good five point win. Should never have been as close but I have to say that their intercept try was better than ours.
Their player came from a clearly offside position. The issue was our stupidity in throwing intercept passes when the match was won with five points.
Bo***cks to Brexit
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Don't know what others think but I feel uslter will be better served long term with hume at 12 and Moore at 13. Hume is a good stepper which helps in the traffic and Moore has an outside drift / arc suited to 13. Moore and Addison have that deceptive smooth running style that is hard to defend against. Would love to see a 13-15 of Moore, stockdale, baloucoune and Addison. Would challenge any in Europe if fit.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:55 pm Don't know what others think but I feel uslter will be better served long term with hume at 12 and Moore at 13. Hume is a good stepper which helps in the traffic and Moore has an outside drift / arc suited to 13. Moore and Addison have that deceptive smooth running style that is hard to defend against. Would love to see a 13-15 of Moore, stockdale, baloucoune and Addison. Would challenge any in Europe if fit.

Have to agree.
Hume 12 and Moore 13. Hume has had more experience at 13 and it will take Moore a little more time to get the defensive nuisances of 13 but think it’s the way to go.

Seriously exciting times ahead for the ulster backs. Let just hope we can produce a few more forwards in the next number of years. Tom Stewart is another to get excited about.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Hume looks more a 12. He has the physical presence and lovely hands. Stewart has the gas to test the outside shoulder of his opposite number.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:55 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:55 pm Don't know what others think but I feel uslter will be better served long term with hume at 12 and Moore at 13. Hume is a good stepper which helps in the traffic and Moore has an outside drift / arc suited to 13. Moore and Addison have that deceptive smooth running style that is hard to defend against. Would love to see a 13-15 of Moore, stockdale, baloucoune and Addison. Would challenge any in Europe if fit.

Have to agree.
Hume 12 and Moore 13. Hume has had more experience at 13 and it will take Moore a little more time to get the defensive nuisances of 13 but think it’s the way to go.

Seriously exciting times ahead for the ulster backs. Let just hope we can produce a few more forwards in the next number of years. Tom Stewart is another to get excited about.
What did you think of Reid? Very powerful and scrimmaged well I thought.
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

Paddy Jackson kicks a 61m penalty to give LI victory over Worcester (who had two Ulstermen in their front row) BRING HIM HOME
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bangors wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:14 pm Paddy Jackson kicks a 61m penalty to give LI victory over Worcester (who had two Ulstermen in their front row) BRING HIM HOME
Doncha just hate it when people go >Off_Topic_Man

What are people watching these days anyway? :D

:duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The best Irish out Half playing at the moment.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Hume has played well at 13 and so has Moore but we shouldn’t forget that Luke Marshall is also waiting in the wings when his current injury clears up.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Good point, although I don’t think we’ve been given any indication as to when that may be.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We are always waiting on some player or other to return from injury. I'm conscious now that Stander has commenced retirement season.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

Hume and Moore certainly a pairing for the future but not before we get some forwards who can make ground or break a tackle. McCluskey is effectively one of the few now doing that regularly for Ulster and without him we can become static.