Rainbow Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Silverstu
Initiate

Re: Rainbow Cup

Post by Silverstu »

thecrouch wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:05 pm
Seagull wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:02 pm Agree great team.
But what did they win?
On going issue with Ulster!
Yea but that's the point.

We're deluding ourselves if we think the current Ulster squad is good enough to win anything.
Well currently yes... but the idea is can the young guys stepping up reach a similar level to that team. The team form 2012/13/14 - players in their prime, well seasoned - currently we mostly have promising, if callow youth - we can't buy that pack again , its gonna be painful but hopefully we can develop them.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Silverstu wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:21 pm
thecrouch wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:05 pm
Seagull wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:02 pm Agree great team.
But what did they win?
On going issue with Ulster!
Yea but that's the point.

We're deluding ourselves if we think the current Ulster squad is good enough to win anything.
Well currently yes... but the idea is can the young guys stepping up reach a similar level to that team. The team form 2012/13/14 - players in their prime, well seasoned - currently we mostly have promising, if callow youth - we can't buy that pack again , its gonna be painful but hopefully we can develop them.
Maybe I'm just overly negative but I do not see how this squad develops into a trophy winning squad without significant new faces.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Does feel like a different landscape now, Leinster have an enviable schools system and have two teams that could beat our firsts, and Munster don't appear to operate within any kind of financial constraints. I don't see us becoming even the second best team in Ireland any time soon, before considering the top teams from across Europe never mind South Africa.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:37 pm Does feel like a different landscape now, Leinster have an enviable schools system and have two teams that could beat our firsts, and Munster don't appear to operate within any kind of financial constraints. I don't see us becoming even the second best team in Ireland any time soon, before considering the top teams from across Europe never mind South Africa.
What's the current schools cohort going to be like after nearly a year and a half with no rugby?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I was hoping Aaron Sexton might get a run in this but he seems to be called into the 7s squad. I suppose it's better than no rugby.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Blackskulllad
Novice

Post by Blackskulllad »

I've seen enough to appreciate the differences between their lockdown and ours. The gap will have increased
Grey Wolf
Novice

Post by Grey Wolf »

I think having 7’s experience is a real plus but not year after year. If we want the likes of Sexton to be seriously challenging for a starting back 3 spot he needs games. I’d be really supportive of a loan move to the championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:37 pm Does feel like a different landscape now, Leinster have an enviable schools system and have two teams that could beat our firsts, and Munster don't appear to operate within any kind of financial constraints. I don't see us becoming even the second best team in Ireland any time soon, before considering the top teams from across Europe never mind South Africa.
Exactly.

We are being left behind.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Grey Wolf wrote:I think having 7’s experience is a real plus but not year after year. If we want the likes of Sexton to be seriously challenging for a starting back 3 spot he needs games. I’d be really supportive of a loan move to the championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He will get opportunities at Ulster. McIlroy has had plenty of opportunities without being spectacular. We have a fairly injury prone set of outside backs. Addison and Stockdale could be away with Ireland. Baloucoune wouldn't be too far away either. Lowry might play more at 10. Faddes I hear is off too. Gilroy doesn't seem to be hitting previous heights.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Once the Olympics are over I would expect many of the sevens guys to revert back to 15 with next years wings to be Balacoune and Sexton with Stockdale at full back . This of course could be the reason Stockdale has been given so much game time this year at full back. and Lowry given time at Out Half. He might be fine there but the defence could be a problem due the on going lack of something that is just an adequate back row.

Because half their task will be to protect Lowry from being a first in line defence other wise he may spend a large amount of the season on a bench due to injury. (Too much guts and not enough substance )
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

It's hard not to be negative about Ulster's prospects in the next season or so. One of the main reasons we were competitive in recent times was because of the impact of Marcel in big games. I don't think anyone really expects Leo to be a like for like replacement. We continue to be light on talent in the back row and second row. Hendy aside, how many of our backrow/second row would even make the bench for Leinster in a European game. I'm not sure I could argue for any of them with a straight face.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

So whats the chances of fans getting in for the scarlets game? Seems to be some move towards opening outdoor venues. Question is does the ballot still apply or as this is a new competition is it open to all?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Ulster team to play Leinster Rugby, Guinness PRO14 Rainbow Cup Round 3, Friday 14 May at the RDS Arena (kick-off 8.15pm, live on Premier Sports):

(15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Craig Gilroy, Billy Burns, David Shanahan;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Sam Carter, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Matty Rea, Sean Reidy, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Brad Roberts, Callum Reid, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Greg Jones, Nathan Doak, Ian Madigan, Rob Lyttle.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):
15. Jimmy O’Brien (32)
14. Jordan Larmour (59)
13. Garry Ringrose (83)
12. Robbie Henshaw (56)
11. Dave Kearney (168)
10. Ross Byrne (101)
9. Luke McGrath (148) CAPTAIN
1. Cian Healy (229)
2. Seán Cronin (194)
3. Tadhg Furlong (113)
4. Ryan Baird (24)
5. James Ryan (47)
6. Josh Murphy (47)
7. Josh van der Flier (95)
8. Caelan Doris (37)
16. Rónan Kelleher (22)
17. Michael Milne (14)
18. Michael Bent (156)
19. Devin Toner (264)
20. Jack Conan (104)
21. Cormac Foley (1)
22. Rory O’Loughlin (84)
23. Tommy O’Brien (8)
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Really good to see Doris back after a concerning issue he had. Also bad because he's a great player.

A fully loaded Leinster by 50.