Rainbow Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Rainbow Cup

Post by jean valjean »

The fact that ulster got on top of the leinster scrum given the front row they had out says a lot about the 'power' coming through from the 2nd row. Ryan and baird are both quality players but as a pairing are too light in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Not here to run either Baird or Ryan down, but there status has been overhyped through no fault of their own.

The unlikely pairing of Beirne and Henderson when stumbled upon in the 6N due to forced injury gave Ireland a real edge.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Ryan probably not at his absolute best but always manages incredible work rate. Baird is an unbelievable athlete. I would like to see him at 6 a bit more. To keep his athleticism and not bulk too much. Him, Doris and Penny would be an unbelievable backrow in the coming years for Leinster. They are spoilt for choice of course.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Baird's performances at 6 have been nothing to make one think he is a six. His best performances -like Henderson have been when playing second row.

As previously stated Back row forwards can play in the second row much more easily than second rows adopt to playing in the back row . A performance in the back row has to blend with that of his fellow back row players , the roles and positioning are different . A second row can be a more an individual performance where positioning is dictated by position of the ruck and the his function at the ruck either to protect the scrum half or be available to be a receiver. A back row forward at the ruck finds his positioning is in response to the opposition position and the positioning of other defenders and his role which may vary according to field position.

Beirne is basically a back row forward who is big enough to play second row Baird on the other hand has basically played second row for most of his time at school rather than back row .

I sense that Ryan and Baird play 100% but lack the necessary "animal ' element to their game which Henderson when playing at 110 % brings to his play.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I’d imagine Baird will be in the 2nd row going forward, but like Henderson initially get gametime in BR too - Irfu don’t have as many options for the Ireland side in the 2nd row so Baird is likely earmarked there at the moment id say.

I can see Henderson being a bit of a Simon shaw and carrying on for a number of yrs, there maybe a bit of a club player appearance about Henderson (Ie not a gym bunny) but without doubt he’s one of a very few forwards in Ire that can go toe to toe physically against any side in the world......and when’s he’s mentally switched on he can be very destructive.

Henderson’s biggest fault?.....he plays his rugby 100miles too north.....very underrated player by pundits & journos in the south.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:43 pm Ryan probably not at his absolute best but always manages incredible work rate. Baird is an unbelievable athlete. I would like to see him at 6 a bit more. To keep his athleticism and not bulk too much. Him, Doris and Penny would be an unbelievable backrow in the coming years for Leinster. They are spoilt for choice of course.
They could then have a backup backrow of Leavy, Connors and Conan

Or if things got really really desperate, would have to make do with Ruddock, Van ser Flier and Deegan.

Tough times in D4...
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dharper wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:24 pm I’d imagine Baird will be in the 2nd row going forward, but like Henderson initially get gametime in BR too - Irfu don’t have as many options for the Ireland side in the 2nd row so Baird is likely earmarked there at the moment id say.

I can see Henderson being a bit of a Simon shaw and carrying on for a number of yrs, there maybe a bit of a club player appearance about Henderson (Ie not a gym bunny) but without doubt he’s one of a very few forwards in Ire that can go toe to toe physically against any side in the world......and when’s he’s mentally switched on he can be very destructive.

Henderson’s biggest fault?.....he plays his rugby 100miles too north.....very underrated player by pundits & journos in the south.
I think with Hendy it has been more about inconsistency than anything. He has had some huge performances for Ireland yet at other times has seemed to drift through games. He now seems to be turning in consistently very good performances, rather than an outstanding one followed by a fairly mediocre one.

Beirne’s performances and the emergence of Baird as a bench option have maybe spurred him on also. I think even in D4 or Limerick most people would have Hendy starting on their Ireland xv right now.
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Strange decision by Munster to release James Cronin. If he moves to France, at least they will not be mixing up his prescriptions in the Chemist.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My take is that Cronin at 30 was wanting a pay hike which Munster couldn't afford and with a few young players on their books didn't want to make.

Most french sides are well off for props but might be sought after by a D2 club wanting a bit of experience in the front row.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

I just don't like to see Cronin, Sweetnam and Hanrahan leaving and a raft of Saffers arriving. I am sure the Munster fans are also uneasy.
wanderer
Novice

Post by wanderer »

Jetstream wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:09 pm I just don't like to see Cronin, Sweetnam and Hanrahan leaving and a raft of Saffers arriving. I am sure the Munster fans are also uneasy.
I agree with the sentiment and some Munster fans are puzzled / uneasy but I think you've got your timing wrong on this occasion, Jetstream:

Cronin was competing with 4 Munster men and a Leinster man; some unproven but including a U20 Grand Slam-winning prospect in Wycherley

Sweetnam was competing against 7 Munster men, 2 Leinster men and Matt Gallagher; including U20 Grand Slam winner French

Hanrahan was competing against Carbery and 3 Munster U20 Grand Slammers / Triple Crowners (until Covid struck)
Grey Wolf
Novice

Post by Grey Wolf »

In truth I think most ulster fans would be delighted with Synman or Jenkins coming in.

Stander is a big loss for them but Coombes is becoming the real deal. Front row still a little weak but I don’t think Munster are a million miles away; will be very dangerous next season.
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Yes I acknowledge we are envious of Munster's good fortune in securing top South African players. Apparently the players were financed from private resources. Ulster is not fortunate enough to have any private investors and if we had any such investors I am not sure whether we would be allowed to bring in players.
I do not believe the four Provinces are financed on an equal basis. It is interesting that up to last year the financial report for the Munster branch was always released. I have seen no such report for last year. I would like to know are the interest payments still being met to the IRFU on Thomond Park. The capital repayments were suspended a few years back.
Some transparency would be nice. Otherwise there will always be rumours. As for Munster being dangerous next season, I agree but I can't see any Irish side dominating Europe.
It has been mentioned in the media that POM gave up the captaincy of the Munster side during the match against Connacht and CJ took over. POM also refused to do a post match interview.
I think the "Mr Angry" face routine is wearing thin and he needs to change his act.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Ref for scarlets: Frank Murphy.

Discuss...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

shhhhh-ugar