Rainbow Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Rainbow Cup

Post by Dave »

Bobbievee wrote:Meaningless or not, we still contrived to throw a winning position away when 5m from their line at 78m 53s. Not the first time ( remember Gloucester?)first

Need to get this sorted
Same reason as last time. Not enough Pienaar.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Biggest concerns were injuries and a red or citing that could have put someone out of next week's game, looks like we got through that ok. Lowry at 10 would certainly add an X-factor, as would Addison at fullback. No doubt we should have done better but at least we lost in one meaningless game to set us up for a game in the 2nd tier European competition.
turko
Novice
Location: Exiled but heart remains at the cathedral on match day

Post by turko »

Dave wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:40 pm Lowry at 10. Addison at 15.

Change my mind...
That’s the future :fleg: :D
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I wouldn't start Lowry at out half sorry --- but to big (?) a target for a bullying brutish English back row they would run at him all night and isolate him in the tackle .

he would thus become a sure source of over the gain line ball with the Ulster forwards going backwards in defence and a penalty machine in attack.

It has nothing to do with guts it the certain cost of size.It was a sure thing Connaught would win once Brace penalised Ulster for non release with a minute to go.

The pass was definitely forward as the Connaught player was infront of the passer when the pass was made. Secondly did Lowry rip the ball and since when was ripping a ball in the tackle an offence Henderson would be penalised every game. Did he play the ball backwards while on the ground or did the ball just hit him.

Brace not my favourite Referee but to be honest only one team wanted to win and with two away games against Munster and Leinster Ulsters chances in this completion were sealed before the kick off and the team selected reflected that and next weeks game.

Both Henderson and Addison needed game time McCloskey and others needed a rest thus the centre Partnership was extremely young and inexperienced

Stockdale will be on the wing next week Lowry at Full back and Addison on the bench with Madigan
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

I loved Addison's break down the right toward the end. Such a shame Ballocoune couldn't hold onto it in contact.

I think there were quite a few sloppy knock ons through out that game just as it send we were getting into good positions. And the line out misfiring was a worry; so plenty to work on during the week.

For Connacht, Papaali'i coming on and giving them go forward ball was massive and allowed them into the game, but I thought it was a big waste to use our captain's challenge in trying to get him sent off. I'd rather hold onto it and use it to challenge a try or get a penalty when we're on the back foot than when we're in possession.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Papaali'l is just the type of player Ulster should be signing.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

My pearls of wisdom from that:
1. Well done Connacht!

2. If you were a stranger and had been told that one of these two teams had an awesome back line and were in a European semi final next week, you’d have concluded that it was a pity that the opposition playing in white didn’t give them a tougher physical work out.

3. Lessons not, it seems, learnt from Gloucester, in being smart, Dan saying it wasn’t a penalty in the maul on the Connacht line, but it’s high risk that refs will give that so don’t go there, recycle quicker in the forwards

4. RB wasn’t himself, didn’t get mentioned in commentary but he seemed to be in discomfort with his right knee throughout the game, strange cause he was left on

5. When everyone watching seemed to agree that we were going wide too quickly, why would even just one of those millions of water carriers not think of passing that message to the captain?

6. When we get rattled because the other side have sussed us out in some aspect of our game, in this case through aggressive blitz defence, do we not have a plan b or cL I can’t recall a single grubber kick through that stayed in play!

7. There was a scrum half playing that I just can’t understand has never attracted Farrell’s eye, short guy playing in green.

8. Andrew Trimble shaping up to be best pundit on tv, makes you laugh even when you’re drunk off

9. Message to Premier Sports, would ye’s quit showing replays during live play!

10. They never did show Robbo’s sunset, shame really!
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

And

11. Yet again we failed to score when the opposition was down a man for ten minutes. I swear I’ll see the day when she coach works out that his/her best way of stopping Ulster score is to take one or even two players off the pitch, it clearly confuses us.

12. We’ll still beat Leicester and I’m getting a hair cut, happy days!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Marco wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:29 am My pearls of wisdom from that:
10. They never did show Robbo’s sunset, shame really!
They did - on about 36/37 minutes if you have a chance to watch again.

it really was spectacular, but if you blinked you would have missed it ... ehm ergo, I think you blinked and missed it.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Marco wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:39 am And
12. We’ll still beat Leicester and I’m getting a hair cut, happy days!
Ditto. :cheers:
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Papaali'i on Matty Rea. Shoulder catches him on the chin. Now Connacht definitely would have won with 14 men. Plus I don't care about the result it's the dreadful standard of officiating in the Pro 12. The thing that irks me is the made up rationale by Brace who refused to have a good look at it. Brace stated that both players were going low as a mitigation??? He didn't review it long enough to establish the point of contact.
The old rugby league dip the shoulder into the opposition is always hard to shake for players with that background. Handy player all the same.
Screenshot_20210424-091239_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210424-091239_Gallery.jpg (40.92 KiB) Viewed 409 times
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Marco wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:29 am My pearls of wisdom from that:
1. Well done Connacht!
Indeed :salut:

2. If you were a stranger and had been told that one of these two teams had an awesome back line and were in a European semi final next week, you’d have concluded that it was a pity that the opposition playing in white didn’t give them a tougher physical work out.
A stranger might also have concluded that one team was playing within themselves with one eye on next week while the other team had nothing else to go for but this competition.

3. Lessons not, it seems, learnt from Gloucester, in being smart, Dan saying it wasn’t a penalty in the maul on the Connacht line, but it’s high risk that refs will give that so don’t go there, recycle quicker in the forwards
Last night's team wasn't the one playing against Glaws, nor will it be the team that plays against Tiggers. Of course the whole squad should have learned lessons from Glaws, but therein lies the difference between the best players and the also rans.

4. RB wasn’t himself, didn’t get mentioned in commentary but he seemed to be in discomfort with his right knee throughout the game, strange cause he was left on
I found that strange too, but concluded they were more concerned about wrapping other players up in cotton wool after a run out, and you can't sub the entire team. But yes, very strange to an outsider looking in.

5. When everyone watching seemed to agree that we were going wide too quickly, why would even just one of those millions of water carriers not think of passing that message to the captain?
True, but you'd think they should have worked it out for themselves anyway. maybe one of the water carriers did pass on the message and it was ignored , or the players simply weren't able to adapt.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:21 am Papaali'i on Matty Rea. Shoulder catches him on the chin. Now Connacht definitely would have won with 14 men. Plus I don't care about the result it's the dreadful standard of officiating in the Pro 12. The thing that irks me is the made up rationale by Brace who refused to have a good look at it. Brace stated that both players were going low as a mitigation??? He didn't review it long enough to establish the point of contact.
The old rugby league dip the shoulder into the opposition is always hard to shake for players with that background. Handy player all the same.Screenshot_20210424-091239_Gallery.jpg
That was pretty much how I saw it.

I think referees will need to get used to these challenges and not dismiss them so lightly. It's easier to take a direction from an assistant or TMO, but referees don't like being told by a player that they might have made a mistake.

I think he dismissed the challenge without looking too closely at it. TBF, on first viewing I didn't think there was much in the contact, but when a captain has made the challenge, he should have shown him some respect by taking more than a passing look.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:04 am I wouldn't start Lowry at out half sorry --- but to big (?) a target for a bullying brutish English back row they would run at him all night and isolate him in the tackle .
Still playing that same old record Rumn? :roll:

rumncoke wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:04 am Secondly did Lowry rip the ball and since when was ripping a ball in the tackle an offence
I'm assuming there should have been a question mark at the end of that bit, and on the assumption you are asking that question, I shall endeavour to answer from my limited knowledge.

Ripping a ball in a tackle is not an offence. As you went on to point out, Henderson is very good at it. Henderson is very tall. He tends to do it much higher off the ground, but if the player has got his knee to the ground, Henderson too would be penalised, as instead of ripping the ball, he's meant to let go of the tackled player.

Therein lies the answer, I think, to your question. Lowry was (a) on the floor himself - at least partially (both knees), and (b) the tackled player was on the floor so instead of ripping the ball, Lowry should have released him. You are correct though, in my opinion, that the pass to that player was indeed forward. Again, a decision that Brace skipped over too easily without closer inspection.

But hey, we are getting too irked about a match that mattered very little in the greater scheme of things. Had it mattered more, I have no doubt the outcome would have been different.

Well done to Connacht though - I hope they can make something of this tournament, but my lack of interest means I may never find out.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

A question not so much related to the rainbow cup, as to the new laws being trialled.

I think we only saw one goal-line drop-out in the match which carried nearly to half way, I think.

Given that the team dropping out must stay behind the line until the kick is taken, it is most likely that the receiving team will collect the ball more or less unchallenged, and 22m closer than a conventional drop-out.

Am I alone in thinking this is an opportunity for a team with a decent kicker to attempt a drop goal without being under pressure from players trying to charge it down?

Last night the goal line drop-out was fielded inside the touch line, but the ball was quickly passed in to centre field. Perhaps an opportunity for someone with a decent boot to land a cheap 3 pointer??? If someone can drop-out that distance, why not have a go at dropping one back at them from similar distance?

just saying . . .
I'm not arguing -