Rainbow Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Rainbow Cup

Post by Snipe Watson »

Giving referees a cop out card has the potential to turn the whole thing into a farce.
I'm not against the 20 minute replacement idea as too many games are decided by cards. The flip side of that is that it may detract from the imperative for players to work on their tackle and rucking techniques and avoid those red cards.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

FUDGE changes first things first referees have to apply the laws regarding dangerous play -- if the player comes up injured --and off take a peek at it and if its 50/50 card them both -- don't automatically blame the tackler just because two heads crash .

Knees up jumping at an opponent at least a yellow.

No more pre binding or latching
and the ball is in play when a scrum half touches -- hand or foot -- this would force teams to commit players to the breakdown to protect the scrum half it would also force back lines to lie deeper because the defence would be up quicker and focused on the out half -- why because the heavy players now used as ball carriers would be committed to the breakdown protecting the scrum halfand unavailable
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I believe hockey has three cards: red, yellow and green, but I don't know any more.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:04 pm Knees up jumping at an opponent at least a yellow.
It's almost impossible to jump without bringing the knees up. The one I object to is the catcher putting one leg out with studs showing to discourage opponents coming near them as they land on t'other leg.
rumncoke wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:04 pm No more pre binding or latching
Tis already an offence - we need referees to enforce it though.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

solidarity wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:15 pm I believe hockey has three cards: red, yellow and green, but I don't know any more.
We already have too many cards.

Birthday, Anniversary and Christmas were good enough when we were growing up. For a certain period in one's life, Valentine's also came into play, but nowadays childer as young as 2 or 3 even get Valentine cards from aunties and uncles and sundry other adults. Mother's Day was also a given, but then Father's Day took off as an equal opportunities opportunity for card makers. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Tend to agree yellow, orange, red might be the eventual way to go with cards. Going to be very interesting how these changes impact behaviour, I guess in the last 10 minutes of a game it doesn't matter what colour of card you receive. Instances where an attacking team is playing to a penalty advantage the amount of times the defending team subsequently ignore off side this could potentially give refs the option of harsher card than yellow. Three sides to consider, the defending side, attacking side, and the officiating crew and how each of them deal with the changes.
The drop out thing, don't they do that already in rugby league if held up over the line? Don't follow it much, but last year I think Castleford (and possibly others) on occasion did happily defend by having the attacking player go over the line but holding them up.
Actually agree with Rum on a lot of instances when a team gets close to the line, the amount of infringements the attacking team can do to open up space never mind the pre binding.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

SA teams won't be playing in a European Leg of #RainbowCup. Details later. #rugby
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

It's all the more galling to see the Rainbow Cup develop into the farce it has become, when we think that the regular season was cut short to accommodate it. And that process of trimming the regular season did us out of a semi-final and the possibility of competing for a meaningful trophy. I'd rather see an "A" tournament replace the Rainbow Cup, and like others, I hope we at least use it to give game time to fringe squad members and youths.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

I would have thought that a rainbow card would have been appropriate to trial. The penalty could have been an actual penalty to be taken by the player whose number was drawn by the TMO.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

All a bit of a farce. Someone saw some £ or rand signs and thought that needed to be taken advantage of in the current climate. It was always a risk and now we are left with a devalued competition pointlessly skewed against the best teams in the league and whose sole raison d'etre has now vanished.

All that being said I don't feel Ulster suffered as a result. Everyone knew the deal long before the end of the season and Ulster had opportunities to top the league but blew it (in fairness Leinster heaped on the pressure with 5 put wins in all bar 2 games I think). The condensed season meant more games during 6 N's time so Leinster were arguably more disadvantaged.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

waggonsroll wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:28 pm I would have thought that a rainbow card would have been appropriate to trial. The penalty could have been an actual penalty to be taken by the player whose number was drawn by the TMO.

Makes as much sense s the competition itself. :banghead:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

solidarity wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:10 pm
waggonsroll wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:28 pm I would have thought that a rainbow card would have been appropriate to trial. The penalty could have been an actual penalty to be taken by the player whose number was drawn by the TMO.

Makes as much sense s the competition itself. :banghead:
More fun though!
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Having endured a season of being bombarded by mostly rubbish Emails etc from the Pro14 media machine and having been told of the great plans for the Rainbow Cup it now seems they have gone AWOL when it is allegedly about to. Start but no confirmation or denials of it losing 4 of the 5 South African teams, fortunately Munster are still in or is it Edinburghwho are the fifth team
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

At least on paper it looks like the rainbow Cup has lasted longer than a football European Super League. That has gone down in flames in an only marginally shorter time than the average tenure of a Chelski manager in recent years.

Now when do we get clarity on this Rainbow nonsense?

Everyone knows there ain't no pot of gold at the end of it - more like a potty full of steaming >bs

Or have I missed any announcements?
I'm not arguing -
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »