Rainbow Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Rainbow Cup

Post by justinr73 »

The Pro 14 need to think outside the box here.

Maybe we could play them online at darts or chess?

As things stand, we’ve got two weekends off before the semis and then trips to Munster and Leinster before a possible final.

Do the guys really need to be playing after that anyway?

Even the money argument falls away without the Saffer TV cash.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bart S wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:14 am
damianmcr wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:58 am Hearing SA sides are out of the Rainbow Cup. Pretty depressing if true.

Quote of Twitter. I'm fecking shocked.
Seemed like all was on a couple of days ago although no idea what the logistics were.
Dan McFarland was under the impression late last night it was still on ...

Without the saffas, is there any implied rainbow in whatever format they might c0ck up?

I mean, cook up?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

justinr73 wrote:The Pro 14 need to think outside the box here.

As things stand, we’ve got two weekends off before the semis and then trips to Munster and Leinster before a possible final.

Do we not play connacht the week before the semis? Then munster and leinster in the 2 weeks before the final. See plenty of squad development no matter what.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We'll need something in the next two weeks to stay sharp for our semifinal, so will Leinster.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 am
justinr73 wrote:The Pro 14 need to think outside the box here.

Do we not play connacht the week before the semis? Then munster and leinster in the 2 weeks before the final. See plenty of squad development no matter what.

Good point Jean - the game is mysteriously absent from the fixture list on the UR site!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Perfidious Albion?

I assume not, but never miss an opportunity to claim it.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Well its going ahead, they are hoping the South African sides will be able to join in later, if not they'll do some sort of cross border games.
https://www.the42.ie/rainbow-cup-south- ... 4-Apr2021/
It’s expected that the Pro14 will confirm fixture dates and times for the opening three rounds at some stage this week, when an update on discussions regarding rounds four to six may also be provided.
Munster and Leinster are due to meet on the weekend of 24 April, with Ulster facing Connacht.
The weekend of 8 May will see Leinster visit Connacht, with Munster hosting Ulster.
Connacht travel to Munster on the weekend of 15 May, while Ulster visit Leinster.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

What a load of cobblers
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

Bobbievee wrote:What a load of cobblers
Actually I find cobblers rather useful when I need my shoes re-soling. I can, however, think of several alternative adjectives but better not use them on a family forum.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bobbievee wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:28 pm What a load of cobblers
Not as long as UR treat it with the contempt it deserves and use the fixtures as prep for the semifinal.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

How on earth do they decide the draw for this? Leinster get Ulster and Munster at home and Ulster are away to both.

Also, all the Irish sides are handicapped in this format by having to play against serious opposition compared to say, Edinburgh, Scarlets etc who all will be confident of coming through their opening fixtures without dropping any points.

I get that it's a money making stop gap tournament but honestly, from an Ulster perspective, why would we bother.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I hope we don't.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

allezlesverres wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:04 pm How on earth do they decide the draw for this? Leinster get Ulster and Munster at home and Ulster are away to both.

Also, all the Irish sides are handicapped in this format by having to play against serious opposition compared to say, Edinburgh, Scarlets etc who all will be confident of coming through their opening fixtures without dropping any points.

I get that it's a money making stop gap tournament but honestly, from an Ulster perspective, why would we bother.
Let's call it opposed training for Leinster and ourselves.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

allezlesverres wrote:How on earth do they decide the draw for this? Leinster get Ulster and Munster at home and Ulster are away to both.

They are sick of irish teams winning things so needed to devise a system to make it a bit fairer. Only problem is leinster 2nds will win it anyway.