Rainbow Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cracker
Squire

Re: Rainbow Cup

Post by Cracker »

This is a totally pointless competition as is the admission of the South Africans to the league next season. The way things are going Coved wise they may not be able to come here for many games or teams allowed to travel there. If so where does the competition go from there?
Will any spectators be allowed at games and if only a few will the reduced income lead to the whole professional game collapsing? Things look pretty bad at this stage when you hear some of our health experts talking about our level of social distancing continuing for the rest of this year. I don't think professional teams like Ulster could survive in another year like this one.
I know that seems pessimistic but it is how I see things at the moment,
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

South African teams need to hold off until the 22-23 season.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The back play was poor, first slow service or recycle due the nature of Munster tackle and roll interference in front of the scrum half allowing a marginal offside rush defence and then to be honest a second choice pair of wingers . As said previously McIlroy ticks all the boxes except the likelihood to score. then Addison got a red which was somewhat harsh since the contact was more careless than dangerous and a provoked reaction due to earlier incident but definitely he didn't help himself by the upward movement of his arm.

Lowry tried one kick out of defence but it rolled and Alby got it in the neck the previous week for kicking too much and Ulster were in the Munster half for much of the first half but without possession so kicking for position wasn't the option.

It wasn't Lowry performance that was lacking it was the quality of possession and nature of the defence of the opposition
which as i have stated was not unique but something that would happen in most games -- slow recycle and rush defence living on the offside line or offside --- referees look at the ruck not the backline and Linesmen sleep on the task.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

No reason why there won't be home fans in ravenspan come September. The SA vaccine rollout has been very slow so I would envisage their teams having to bubble with regular testing but still doable. They might have significant enough numbers vaccinated by October/November.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

This is going to be painful. The season ended with the Leicester defeat. This now is purely gametime investment into the pups exercise. Keep exposing Reid McCann Rea Jr, hopefully McGrath & Carter can stay injury free next season, & we get a motivated Leo. I hope TOT took ferris’s words to heart & next season he is the undisputed no1 TH. There is no cavalry coming over the hill. We don’t have the private backers that Munster/Leinster have to open the chequebook.

The IRFU must be pretty skint but frankly, they only need UR to produce 3/4 squad players for them Leinster and Munster can overwhelmingly produce the bulk. We really need our scouting working, and academy in full flow, unfortunately forwards take longer to make.

As an aside I’m surprised covid hasn’t caused more inter pro moves.....that said next season with money haemorrhageing I anticipate some harsh new realities.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The Captain's Challenge

In two games to date the Captains challenge has been used contrary to the law which says you should do nothing to identify a foul by an opponent ie something which could see a player sent off .

3 times it has been used to identify high tackles -- high tackles etc should be identified by either the Referee --Linesman -- TMO -- during a match and subject to disciplinary review after a match -- due management complaint .

A Captain's challenge should be restricted to -- forward passes -- deliberate knock-ons ( without send off penalty only)
in from the side , late tackle, scrum offence and the like.

The Laws should not empower the Captain of the opposition to have an opponent sent off-- and i doubt if that was the intention of the Law allowing a Captains challenge .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
HighlandRed
Novice

Post by HighlandRed »

Few folk on facebook slagging off Lowry, but I remember Jackson having a few poorish games to start with, and that was with Ruan at 9.

I don't mind getting a tanking if in the long term it's useful by giving the young ones a bit of game time. McCann was quiet enough, but Rea put himself about a bit. Good cameo from Reid.

Shame we didn't get to see more of Addison, can understand why he was pumped up - hateful opposition and out for ages.

What pisses me off is that we were pretty far from the pace with no real attacking intent.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Any Ulster fan with a brain will not question Lowry's ability or potential. Question marks over his physicality keep popping up. Taking down a rampaging Coombes was evidence against the naysayers.

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I'm led to believe that there is little evidence suggesting wee fellas are more susceptible to getting broken than big lumps. It looks worse when they get bounced, but the outcomes are no worse. Lowry is a fearless terrier who puts himself in harms way. He is clearly on a learning curve at 10, but there is no substitute for experience which he is now building. I don't see his ceiling as being as high as Paddy's, but he has an abundance of talent and is going to be very good.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Not so much about physicality for me but everything looked so frenetic and chaotic.

Can we be confident that the required control and calmness will come with experience?

It must be challenging to kick accurately to the backfield if you can’t see over the defensive line though.
armalig
Novice

Post by armalig »

Conn 16 Lein 33... what a first half of rugby . Entertaining
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Nice game in Galway but really this season needs to be put out of its misery.
Time to reset over the summer, enjoy tag rugby and the Lions and get back to normality for September all safely vaccinated.
Grey Wolf
Novice

Post by Grey Wolf »

I’m particularly envious of Connacht with Papali’i. Turning into quite the player and exactly what we need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:52 pm The Captain's Challenge

In two games to date the Captains challenge has been used contrary to the law which says you should do nothing to identify a foul by an opponent ie something which could see a player sent off .
Up to 75 minutes the captain's challenge can only be used for foul play or an infringement in the lead up to a try.

After 75 minutes it can be used to challenge anything (except technical decisions ie in scrum or lineout) - anything but technical decisions obviously includes foul play.

Not sure where you're getting this law that says it cannot be used to identify a foul by an opponent. :scratch:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57038362

Mcwhirter lays it on the line. Ulster are finished??!!