Rainbow Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Rainbow Cup

Post by Dave »

Hendo looked to be really pressuring the ref. Good to see him learning lessons from the Leicester game.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Much improved performance - just small mistakes at crucial times cost us but in terms of defence, line breaks and the scrum a lot to be positive about. They have to hitting that standard regularly though and adding that clinical finish. Dan has said they need to train at a higher level- hopefully the coaching team will evolve things and build properly over the summer. I liked how we played smart rugby with the tip on passes and footwork making good ground. Timony and Rea were excellent, EoS went well and I thought Shanners did well [bar the errors]. Doak looks very promising, I hope himself and Reid get the remaining games along with a few others, they need to be trusted to start or come on and make a difference, its about having quality in depth. Dan's first 2 seasons seemed like upward curves, this year we've stalled a bit and maybe not gotten the luck we have previously, have to see if Dan can respond to that and get back on track and developing the young forwards especially is key to that.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I'm not sure the captains challenge is a good thing. Normally the ref /tmo makes a decision and the players get on with it. With a challenge the captain always feels the need to argue the point given the consequences of losing it. Its not good for the game in the long run. Maybe the challenge should be made by the coaching team directly to the TMO? Certainly healys try should have been reviewed on 2nd viewing which wasn't obvious to those on the pitch. It was noticeable that leinster tried a challenge at the end of the game that began with a message relayed to the doctor on the pitch.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:50 am
SUFTUM_19 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:47 am The character and fight is certainly there, and that will go a long way. We do still lack that bit of quality and composure, especially in taking our chances, but that will come with experience.
Agree with most of what you say, but that last bit seems to have been the feeling around Ulster for the last 15 years or more.

Still wondering what this "experience" is that keeps alluding us. :?

Maybe it's just winning in certain places (eg RDS) or getting a piece of silverware, but whatever it is, Leinster already have it in bucket loads, so when the pressure is on they are calm and assured, soak up pressure and take their chances when they come along (mostly). We, on the other hand, lose composure against certain teams (Leinster) when we get to their 5m line, and don't defend our own line against them the way we do against others.

It seems the only experience we are building is still losing to teams like Leinster, at places like RDS.
That’s a very point point. I think the last time we had that proper quality and experience was 2012/2013 era. But I think now the age profile of the squad is very young, and in McFarland we have the best coach since McLaughlin, so I have a good feeling about the next generation coming through. I think this current crop of players (those who are maybe 27/28 and above) have maybe hit their ceiling with Pro14 finals/European quarter finals, but it’s the next generation coming through, the likes of O’Sullivan, Reid, O’Toole, Stewart, Izzy, McCann, Rea, Timoney etc and all those backs which I think could do great things, and I think they will learn from this.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Not often I look back on a defeat and say, 'Actually, that wasn't bad.' We kept playing for the full 80 minutes and more with vigour and intensity. Still some basic skills weaknesses and what on earth went wrong with the lineout? (and Leinster's as well). Why try a delicate set move once and not have a couple of goes? Still, not a bad night's work.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

jean valjean wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:44 am It was noticeable that leinster tried a challenge at the end of the game that began with a message relayed to the doctor on the pitch.

What was that all about? The ref said he would not accept a captain’s challenge which had emanated from the medial staff at pitch side! The game was over and won - what on earth were they trying to achieve with such a challenge?, :scratch:
Hope is not a strategy.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:37 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:44 am It was noticeable that leinster tried a challenge at the end of the game that began with a message relayed to the doctor on the pitch.

What was that all about? The ref said he would not accept a captain’s challenge which had emanated from the medial staff at pitch side! The game was over and won - what on earth were they trying to achieve with such a challenge?, :scratch:
The chance to play on and get the bonus point.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

germcevoy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:58 pm

I get that, but what was the nature of the challenge given that it emanated from the medical team!? Just seems a bit strange!
Hope is not a strategy.
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:58 pm
germcevoy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:58 pm

I get that, but what was the nature of the challenge given that it emanated from the medical team!? Just seems a bit strange!
I can’t find the article but seemingly Cullen referred to them wanting to review a high tackle.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Would have been fine with Clancy.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

In recent weeks Hume for me has cemented his position as the number 1 13. Addison & Marshall have a job to do to get their place back. Hume is big, with a powerful burst of pace and underaged hands.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

jean valjean wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:44 am I'm not sure the captains challenge is a good thing. Normally the ref /tmo makes a decision and the players get on with it. With a challenge the captain always feels the need to argue the point given the consequences of losing it. Its not good for the game in the long run. Maybe the challenge should be made by the coaching team directly to the TMO? Certainly healys try should have been reviewed on 2nd viewing which wasn't obvious to those on the pitch. It was noticeable that leinster tried a challenge at the end of the game that began with a message relayed to the doctor on the pitch.

It's terrible for the game. You're more or less trying to get an opposition player sent off.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

No motm for this or have I missed it. The backrow of Rea, Riedy and Timoney were terrific so I give it to Timoney. I also think there was a deiberate knockon in the first five minutes so Ringrose should have had a yellow to go with the later dark orange of Henshaw. I hope this could be the start of confidence in this young side and look forward to next season. SUFTU !
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Congratulations to Ulster on winning the 'false dawn: building nicely for next season' trophy.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Definitely heard the lines before about youth coming through and benefitting from experience, a few times, well remembering when Trimby was one of a bright crop, so you can be blasé about it and easily enough convince yourself that beating Toulouse, Racing, Leinster, Exeter.... away from home or in knockout is just not gonna happen. To be positive, this was a good performance against the Leinster first team and one basic (loss of concentration) mistake in defence by Herring opened the door to 7 points. Best performance since two years ago in the qtr final, nearly same score lines also (21-18 and 21-17), so we’re back there, no better but at least back and I do feel that crowds being back next season will benefit Ulster more than most generally, so hanging in there for sure.

Special mention to Connacht also, some game at Thomond!