Ulster in the Challenge Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Quins game in the bic biro

Post by BR »

StKenneth wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:47 pm
BR wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:22 am
Hans Indaruck wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:02 pm I suspect we will be playing a first 15 next week which will be more of a test. This victory didn’t really tell us anything!
I think we probably learned more from the Dragons Northampton game. For me it was that Northampton are very beatable. Discipline will be key, but a well drilled, speedy defence should be able to contain their backs. At the same time their defence can be stretched allowing for clean breaks by talented backs. Forward battle could be tighter, but with the right refereeing interpretations, they will be liable to concede turnovers.
I’m glad you learnt something, I’m not sure I did.

We had a ridiculously young side out, 21 year old lock, 21 year old flanker, 21 year old winger, 22 & 23 year old centres, halfbacks of 22 & 23 etc etc. I have no idea how many of the senior players were injured or rested. I have no idea who’ll be back fit or not available. But a side without Lawes, Biggar, Francis, Ribbans, Proctor, Wood etc etc had the desire to keep fighting back from a very one sided scoreboard to snatch a victory away from home.

I hope we can put out a side that can compete and give you a decent game, you’ll win handsomely if we can’t.
Point taken and demostrated by the selection. Didn't realise you had so many ready to come back this week.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Quins game in the bic biro

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

StKenneth wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:47 pm I hope we can put out a side that can compete and give you a decent game, you’ll win handsomely if we can’t.
Well, you managed to put out a side to compete - not always legally, as three yellow cards demonstrated, but you did compete . . . for most of the game. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster in the Challenge Cup

Post by Jackie Brown »

St.Kenneth, as expected you guys gave us a hell of a game. The biggest pity is we couldn't make the trip over to see it. Was in Franklin's Gardens when we won and you beat us on the return game the following week. Also was in Milton Keynes when we were schooled after years of group mediocrity. Good luck in the rest of the premiership, just not against our PJ. A great rugby club and town. >drinks >drinks
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

B burns deserves special praise tonight. Took a massive shot to the ribs and continued to take it to the line, resulting in stockdales try. He has his doubters but his commitment cannot be questioned. Well done Billy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

He took a hit to the ribs at the end of the match, after the Stockdale try.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He took a no arms late hit to the ribs in the first ten minutes.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

No MOTM thread but I thought Billy was pretty decent. Defensively suspect though. A lot of talk about prince Phillip's passing but I think Billy's was good too.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:53 pm No MOTM thread but I thought Billy was pretty decent. Defensively suspect though. A lot of talk about prince Phillip's passing but I think Billy's was good too.
Ohhh nice one
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

He was brave carrying on and was pivotal a couple of times in the Stockdale try. A couple of decent kicks also.

Defence was poor and not for the first time.

Still think ulster need a better 10 to progress as a team.

Unrelated, but I thought Ross Byrne played really well today when he had to come on for Sexton.
Don’t view him as international class either but he really stepped up today against the defending euro champs
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:53 pm No MOTM thread but I thought Billy was pretty decent. Defensively suspect though. A lot of talk about prince Phillip's passing but I think Billy's was good too.
Herring, Jordi or big Stu for me. Cooney, Baloucoune and Marty Moore also v.good and Tredwell amongst others woke up in the 2nd half and carried well.
DWFinn
Novice

Post by DWFinn »

As an aside - AOC and Treadwell may struggle to gain parity in the collisions at times, but it makes their durability all the more impressive. We’d be lost without them. If Munster are getting a 6ft 7in Saffa, we should too to share the workload there.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:53 pm No MOTM thread but I thought Billy was pretty decent.
The whole team looked pretty decent, but for me, I agreed with the official MotM, which is a rarity. I wouldn't debate the point about several others who have already been mentioned as all of them have a decent claim to have been the stand-out player.

One slight negative (or so it might appear although it is not intended that way) is that Michael Lowry didn't have as good a game as we might have hoped. That says more about what we have come to expect from him than it does about the performance itself though. His decision making was a bit naive at times and led to a couple of scores for them, either because of conceding a penalty or loss of field position.

All that said, I'm still a big fan of his and look forward to seeing more of him for years to come. It is unfortunate that because of his skill and what he has shown so far we tend to forget he's still a relative nipper and still learning his trade. One or two errors are only to be expected of anyone in his position, and came as I said because of a little bit of naivety and possibly from trying a bit too hard.

The experience all in all will stand him in good stead in the years to come and |I have no doubt he will be the better for it.

And before all and sundry jump down my throat for saying this, no I don't think he had a bad game - he simply didn't have as good a game as we've come to expect from him, but all things considered it was still good. I think opposition teams will have learnt very quickly to respect and fear him in equal measure. Long may that continue.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

One thing I picked up on yesterday was that we are learning to play the power game without Hendy and Marcell.
Matty Rea was as good as I've seen him, he was coming on to the ball aggressively with intent.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:One thing I picked up on yesterday was that we are learning to play the power game without Hendy and Marcell.
Matty Rea was as good as I've seen him, he was coming on to the ball aggressively with intent.
Agreed. Particularly in the second half after the ref stamped his authority on the game. There was less messing around at the break down. With quick ball the players were coming onto the ball with a of bit steam. Heads were down going into contact. Treadwell also looked very much improved. Roddy Grant is earning his corn. Also his work with the lineout has been top class.

Jared has a fair bit of work to do but mostly the coaching ticket is doing well.
armalig
Novice

Post by armalig »

What time is draw made today ?? Televised ?