Ulster in the Challenge Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster in the Challenge Cup

Post by Snipe Watson »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:26 pm No need to put an oval peg in a round hole.

Treadwell and Rea would offer decent impact off the bench.
Rea was good last time out, prior to that he was a bit lightweight and hadn't been at the races. If he continues to take the ball at speed and put himself about, he has all the attributes to be a good blindside.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

(15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Matty Rea, Sean Reidy, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Ross Kane, Alan O’Connor, Greg Jones, David Shanahan, Michael Lowry, Will Addison.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Will be interesting to see how much time Addison gets (a full half, maybe?) in this warm-up match, and if it will be enough for him to feature in the main event next week?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I guess young Lowry might feel he's worth a start. I hope he gets a half.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BR wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:09 pm Lòking at the Leicester trip £156. Tempting
Left it too late. Upwards of £240 now.

I think I'll leave it. Anyone else going?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

No guarantee that fans will get in yet, I'm sure May 17th is first proposed game with some fans at Welford Road
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:19 pm No guarantee that fans will get in yet, I'm sure May 17th is first proposed game with some fans at Welford Road
Didnt think it was even a possibility for next week. Beer gardens are open though.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Tigers beaten by saints today, but they almost sneaked it in the end. If we can get parity at scrum time we should be capable of winning there on Friday night given the strike runners we possess. No doubt though, it will be squeaky tight as is the ulster way.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Leicester's ground is quite a tight pitch from memory, the forward performance is going to be crucial
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Is Alby still at UR? Surprised he didn’t get a bit of game time if he was going to feature in Leicester.
Big call over replacement backrow, addisons role.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dharper wrote:Is Alby still at UR? Surprised he didn’t get a bit of game time if he was going to feature in Leicester.
Big call over replacement backrow, addisons role.
I'd imagine alby and madigan were held back in case both our starters got injured on Fri night. Means we could at least start a competent 9/10 if the worst happened. Could u have imagined cooney pulling up in the first 10 mins and alby getting hurt late in game?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

So Leicester sitting 8th in the Gallagher Premiership and now well out of the running for playoffs. Probably in a 3 way fight with LI (6th), Bath (7th) and themselves for the 6th place and Heiny spot.

I sense they’ll now throw all at the Bic Biro now so expecting a big game from them.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Moving second rows to back row isn't always the wisest thing to do . The decision depends on % of ball you expect to control and what you want the player to do.

If you expect to have 60% possession the move makes some sense because then the 6 becomes a ball carrier but if you only expect to control less than 50% of the possession then using a second row as a back row becomes risky .

Why few second rows can get over a ball in a ruck to win possession and frequently fail to ensure they are properly positioned in the defensive wall and leave gaps.

Henderson is much better suited to second row a position and role he is used to playing. Leinster played Baird at 6 in the A's game and he was an non event and they have also played as 6 in the full side with a similar result.

Very few second rows adapt to playing 6 -- it is easier for a 6 to play second row than a second row to play 6 Beirne is basically a 6 who can play second row.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Harper is McCloskey injured ?

There is noway last fridays backline will start if McCloskey is available

Lowry, Baloucoune, Hume, McCloskey, Stockdale, Burns Cooney-- bench Mathewson, Madigan, Addison,

With Lowry possibly moving to out half if Ulster are chasing the game the bench could be restricted to Mathewson and Addison providing Ulster the option of two back rows on the bench.

This game requires experienced players with cool heads ii is not a game for chickens.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

TopPoster wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:53 am So Leicester sitting 8th in the Gallagher Premiership and now well out of the running for playoffs. Probably in a 3 way fight with LI (6th), Bath (7th) and themselves for the 6th place and Heiny spot.

I sense they’ll now throw all at the Bic Biro now so expecting a big game from them.
Assuming it is Top 6 in England that qualify for the 21/22 Heineken Cup, the EPCR guy was on Rugby tonight on Sunday and said no decisions made yet on the structure for 21/22. They may keep the 24 team format and do the Round of 16 etc again.