Ulster in the Challenge Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: Ulster in the Challenge Cup

Post by Dharper »

Burns will have the heavy duty saffer carriers down his channel, he’ll ship a few knocks, Id personally prefer an experienced 10, to cover in this euro campaign, so Madigan for me. I’d rather compromise on the wing, than 10 in this semi.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:17 pm Agreed but is he fit?
I reckon so - he dotted down once or twice in the training footage before last week’s game.

McIlroy has done rightly so far but not sure why his couple of tries would put him ahead of Lyttle.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Agreed. McIlroy is still a tad green. Lyttle is established. In my view he's the best finisher in the squad.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Jackie Brown wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:38 pm Lowry, Baloucoune, Hume, McCloskey, Stockdale

Burns, Cooney

EOS, Herring, Moore
Hendy, Treadwell
Nordi, Timoney, Reidy

Bench
Andrews, Warwick, TOT, AOC, Rea, Mathewson, Addison, McIlroy
Probably
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Jackie Brown wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:38 pm Lowry, Baloucoune, Hume, McCloskey, Stockdale

Burns, Cooney

EOS, Herring, Moore
Hendy, Treadwell
Nordi, Timoney, Reidy

Bench
I think that's pretty close but for my money I'd have Addison starting. Sure he is versatile and that makes him a good bench option but he is one of if not our most creative back(s). That either puts Lowry on the bench (harsh) or at 10. If Lowry starts at 10 I think Burns drops entirely and Madigan benches because he is a more versatile bench option. That's what i'd like to see anyway. A decent run of Lowry at 10 and Addison at 15 making space for Baloucoune and Stockdale sounds amazing. I've nothing against Burns and I've confidence in him but I think Lowry has earned his chance and deserves the recognition.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Snipe Watson wrote:

Burns, Cooney

EOS, Herring, Moore
Hendy, Treadwell
Nordi, Timoney, Reidy

Bench
Probably
Only call for me is whether AOC or treadwell starts and the 23 shirt. I'd probably start AOC given his nous in the tight and leave treadwell for when the game opens a little. Its a one off game so we need the bench to make an impact so alby, lyttle and Addison.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

jean valjean wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:18 am
Snipe Watson wrote:

Burns, Cooney

EOS, Herring, Moore
Hendy, Treadwell
Nordi, Timoney, Reidy

Bench
Probably
Only call for me is whether AOC or treadwell starts and the 23 shirt. I'd probably start AOC given his nous in the tight and leave treadwell for when the game opens a little. Its a one off game so we need the bench to make an impact so alby, lyttle and Addison.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Yes, I could see that. Maybe AOC should partner Hendy. He's a relentless grinder of a player. Possibly not as athletic as Treadwell, but more dawg in him.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

AOC is also another leader, alongside Hendy, Herring, Murphy and Reidy.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I wonder will Treadwell get the nod for the lineout. No doubt 'big pack' Leicester will want to get after our setpiece.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:14 pm I wonder will Treadwell get the nod for the lineout. No doubt 'big pack' Leicester will want to get after our setpiece.
Swings and roundabouts Dave. AOC is mighty in the maul once it gets set. Decisions, decisions.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:14 pm I wonder will Treadwell get the nod for the lineout. No doubt 'big pack' Leicester will want to get after our setpiece.
Swings and roundabouts Dave. AOC is mighty in the maul once it gets set. Decisions, decisions.
Very true. Really I'm just pleased Hendy is in there. It will be attritional, thus 3 second rows will be required.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:09 pm
AOC is a better lock than Treadwell, who, in my opinion would be better coming off the bench and hopefully making a few big carries. Whenever the Ulster locks (whoever they may be) start making yards in contact then Ulster really begin to motor. :fleg:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yep. Tredders can come on for whichever is blowing hardest out of their hole after an hour.

It’s been a good season and it’s time to leave it all out on the pitch on Friday night.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

allezlesverres wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:16 am

Burns, Cooney

EOS, Herring, Moore
Hendy, Treadwell
Nordi, Timoney, Reidy

Bench
I think that's pretty close but for my money I'd have Addison starting. Sure he is versatile and that makes him a good bench option but he is one of if not our most creative back(s). That either puts Lowry on the bench (harsh) or at 10. If Lowry starts at 10 I think Burns drops entirely and Madigan benches because he is a more versatile bench option. That's what i'd like to see anyway. A decent run of Lowry at 10 and Addison at 15 making space for Baloucoune and Stockdale sounds amazing. I've nothing against Burns and I've confidence in him but I think Lowry has earned his chance and deserves the recognition.
I agree........almost. I think Addison fitness has to be judged by the management team, but I would have him starting alongside Stu, and go for a pacy start with him, Lowry, Balacoune, Stockdale, Cooney, McCloskey , Burns nailed on, with Hume, Madigan/Another to cover replacements.
I will leave the forward discussion to those of you who understand these things!............but line out is absolutely crucial.

And I would put more emphasis on taking the game by the scruff of the neck early, and not think too much about this theoretical " impact off the bench". Some of the stats nerds on here will be able to tell us how often Ulster have come back with 20 mins to go, and how often Ulster have caved n in the last 20. My impression is that it is the latter more often than not. Go for the throat, get ahead, and pulverise them!!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Just for Bobbie

PRO12
Benetton(H) W 35-24 Last quarter W 7-0
Ospreys(A) W 24-12 Last quarter W 7-3
Dragons(H) W 40-17 Last quarter L 5-14
Blues(A) W 11-7 Last quarter W 3-0
Glasgow(H) W 40-15 Last quarter L 0-5
Zebre(A) W 57-14 Last quarter W 14-0
Scarlets(H) W 26-24 Last quarter D 7-7
Edinburgh(A) W 43-14 Last quarter W 17-0
Connacht(A) W 32-19 Last quarter W 9-5
Munster(H) W 15-10 Last quarter L 0-7
Leinster(A) L 12-24 Last quarter L 3-7
Glasgow(A) W 19-13 Last quarter D 7-7
Ospreys(H) W 21-7 Last quarter W 7-0
Leinster(H) L 19-38 Last quarter D 7-7
Dragons(A) W 26-22 Last quarter L 7-12
Zebre(H) W 49-3 Last quarter W 21-0

Rainbow cup
Connacht(H) L 24-26 Last quarter L 7-12

Heineken Cup
Toulouse(H) L 22-29 Last quarter L 0-8
Gloucester(A) L 34-38 Last quarter L 10-14

Challenge Cup
Quins(A) W 57-21 Last quarter D 14-14
Saints(A) W 35-27 Last quarter W 14-0

Make of that what you will!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall