Ulster in the Challenge Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

richardt84
Novice

Re: Ulster in the Challenge Cup

Post by richardt84 »

Silverstu wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:47 pm Well Addison was taking part in training for the Harlequins match so who knows, one player we could do with back [aside from Henderson] is Jack McGrath and there's no news/sign of him [although Warwick did a good job off the bench against Saints].
Is McGrath’s injury such that he is not able to train at all? From social media he seems to spend a serious amount of time in Dublin and seems to have recently set up or become involved in a couple of businesses.

I’m a massive fan of O’Sullivan but would agree that we need McGrath back as much to give O’Sullivan a rest as anything else. Since O’Sullivan came in to the team I can’t remember any major time off with injury and, with the exception of when McGrath was fit last season, has played a serious amount of minutes in terms of both starts and for the length of time he spends on the pitch when starting.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

If the rumours re the rainbow cup are true, and it’s cancelled I’d be ok with no game for 3 weeks, or if the inter pro fixtures are used to give more wider squad / A side experience.

I’d imagine there is a few battered bodies need resting up they’ve gone through a lot of work in a week. The entire pack has gone through a mountain of work, and the depth hasn’t been there to rotate players. I don’t expect to see JMcG til next season (the development of Callum Reid is very timely I fear). Warwick was very decent when he came on but EOS needs to be wrapped in cotton wool til tigers - he’s critical.

What’s going on with Sam Carters injury?....I hope he’s fit for start of season, guy needs some luck. AOC & Treadwell earned a beer last few weeks efforts.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We never perform after a break in the season. I don't like the idea of any more than a single week off before a crunch fixture like this one.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Dharper wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:14 am If the rumours re the rainbow cup are true, and it’s cancelled I’d be ok with no game for 3 weeks, or if the inter pro fixtures are used to give more wider squad / A side experience.

I’d imagine there is a few battered bodies need resting up they’ve gone through a lot of work in a week. The entire pack has gone through a mountain of work, and the depth hasn’t been there to rotate players. I don’t expect to see JMcG til next season (the development of Callum Reid is very timely I fear). Warwick was very decent when he came on but EOS needs to be wrapped in cotton wool til tigers - he’s critical.
Rainbow cup is going ahead with or without the Saffa sides apparently.
We really need Callum Reid to come through- EoS has had to play a hell of a lot and it must be wearing him down. I think Reid just needs to prove himself at scrum time as he seems, from his few appearances, to be up for it in the loose. Hopefully he'll get a few chances in the Rainbow cup.
Also hoping Izzy's knee injury isn't serious- would be great to see him get more chances and continue develop.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Phillips now seen in Leicester as heir apparent to Ford.....might even start against us?
He started against Newcastle
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Ford is only 28 so McPhillips may still have to bide his time.

Didn’t look out of his depth when he had that run of games with Ulster though.

Hope he starts against us and comes a close second.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:07 am Ford is only 28 so McPhillips may still have to bide his time.

With Freddie Burns on his way to Welford Road, McPhillips may need to look elsewhere
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:07 am Ford is only 28 so McPhillips may still have to bide his time.

yeah, I think more to do with Fords absences with England squad than his age.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Can’t be too much longer before England realise they should be playing Marcus Smith.

Burns Snr and McPhillips can play a bit of 15 I suppose.

He may end up back on home turf at Newcastle if Flood ever retires.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Good day gentlefolk of Alster

I occasionally take a look in these days to see that all is well and that none of you appears to have become covictims. It warms the cockles of my heart to see that Rum’n has not yet perished, I had him at even money shot to bit the nod during the pandemic with a bookie in Alicante, however better to see him alive and posting than winning a mere trifle on his demise.

A couple or more things have prompted me to throw in my three ha’pence, one to congratulate Dave for his ChookyEmbra-Billy Burns passing gag, good to see you’ve still got it Dave.

Another, when we are on about passing, to bemoan the end of Marcell as an Ulster player, big lad started as he finished sadly – on sick call. It’s been a pleasure to watch him, for only 57 games but a player who could have made a real difference……maybe he has, he must have rubbed off on colleagues, Matty could yet become a bull and look, he’s already played more times than Marcell.

I also wish to lend my considerable weight to those giving their acknowledgement to Messrs O’Connor and Treadwell. It’s a good while back now that most wondered, is Tredders ever going to become valuable? Well he has, lads a bloody Trojan, they both are, when needed they can go 80.

What can you say about Al O’Connor? Those of us who reckon we know a thing or fifty about rugby, had him down as a slightly upmarket Nigel Brady (one of my favourite compliments for any player) for Nigel had a unique ability and that was to churn out the best that he had, time & time again, seldom below his best. Not at the level of a Rory Best but everything he had, in both talent & effort, nobody was ever let down by Nigel and I love him for it.

But Al O’Connor is a man who has earned the right not to send a shudder through the fans when he appears on the team sheet, no matter how big the game. He has the traits of 100% of everything he has, but he has become a master of his trade. A little short of stature for higher honours but how lucky are we that he fills an Ulster shirt? He is a shining example of what a talented guy who is well-coached can become.

Think of the Ulster pack around 2013-2015 and what they could have achieved with the current coaching. That talented bunch were bereft when they got 5 metres out, if McFarland & Grant had been in place there was a pack and a team that could and should have won something. Instead with dross like the STA, Steve Williams, The guy with the racist phone, Twitcher Kiss the utter chube, those and probably others grown closer to home wasted talented teams. Ulster’s coaching at last matches it’s ambition to be a club of substance.

So, we may or may not win a Parker Pen, we are certainly as good as what is left in it, we’ve won 6 of our last 8 games away to Prem teams. Hendy will help though I wouldn’t expect anyone else, but LOOK, waddyeyeno?

Finally, my old friend Lionel, you mention the legend that is Toby Flood. Now there aren’t many know this, but Toby has 5 (that’s FIVE) Christian names. It would appear pater & mater had a superfluity of options and just decided to spaff the lot of them on him. The most amusing part, however, is that amongst the glut de pre-noms, he is a Cecil. I have to say I have always found Cecil an hilarious name, no idea why, it just causes me a snigger or three, but I will say I have never met a Cecil I didn’t like. The same can not be said for Jarlath, odd fish.

OK, I really must be going, goodbye now, take care dear childer.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

We have a deal with Newcastle it is our retirement home for lost rugby folk, coaches, players, buses what ever, so when Toby does retire Ford will probably replace him, not sure if your young McP will become our next Geordie Murphy or not, he is looking far more promising than the Bagsters bets with the bookies anyway.
So Baggy how the hell are you, not succumbed to an over dose of sun and Sangria yet then and where's my invite to come for a holiday?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:20 pm Good day gentlefolk of Alster
Welcome to the forum BT ... 1st Post???

I've never known anyone to use so many words to say nothing as you did there, but who knows, maybe in time you might contribute something worthwhile to this forum. You are most welcome to try. :thumleft: :D

In the meantime, I'm glad that you weren't a covictim yourself, and hope that your health is as rude as I suspect you might be. Never having met you of course - that is just a guess. :duck:

Last time we played at Welford Road I had a whale of a time with good friends and the good company of Tigger fans - have you ever been there yersel?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Tigers v Ulster 8pm KO Friday April 30th
Bath v Montpellier 8pm KO Saturday May 1st.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Good day gentlefolk of Alster

I occasionally take a look in these days to see that all is well and that none of you appears to have become covictims. It warms the cockles of my heart to see that Rum’n has not yet perished, I had him at even money shot to bit the nod during the pandemic with a bookie in Alicante, however better to see him alive and posting than winning a mere trifle on his demise.

A couple or more things have prompted me to throw in my three ha’pence, one to congratulate Dave for his ChookyEmbra-Billy Burns passing gag, good to see you’ve still got it Dave.

Another, when we are on about passing, to bemoan the end of Marcell as an Ulster player, big lad started as he finished sadly – on sick call. It’s been a pleasure to watch him, for only 57 games but a player who could have made a real difference……maybe he has, he must have rubbed off on colleagues, Matty could yet become a bull and look, he’s already played more times than Marcell.

I also wish to lend my considerable weight to those giving their acknowledgement to Messrs O’Connor and Treadwell. It’s a good while back now that most wondered, is Tredders ever going to become valuable? Well he has, lads a bloody Trojan, they both are, when needed they can go 80.

What can you say about Al O’Connor? Those of us who reckon we know a thing or fifty about rugby, had him down as a slightly upmarket Nigel Brady (one of my favourite compliments for any player) for Nigel had a unique ability and that was to churn out the best that he had, time & time again, seldom below his best. Not at the level of a Rory Best but everything he had, in both talent & effort, nobody was ever let down by Nigel and I love him for it.

But Al O’Connor is a man who has earned the right not to send a shudder through the fans when he appears on the team sheet, no matter how big the game. He has the traits of 100% of everything he has, but he has become a master of his trade. A little short of stature for higher honours but how lucky are we that he fills an Ulster shirt? He is a shining example of what a talented guy who is well-coached can become.

Think of the Ulster pack around 2013-2015 and what they could have achieved with the current coaching. That talented bunch were bereft when they got 5 metres out, if McFarland & Grant had been in place there was a pack and a team that could and should have won something. Instead with dross like the STA, Steve Williams, The guy with the racist phone, Twitcher Kiss the utter chube, those and probably others grown closer to home wasted talented teams. Ulster’s coaching at last matches it’s ambition to be a club of substance.

So, we may or may not win a Parker Pen, we are certainly as good as what is left in it, we’ve won 6 of our last 8 games away to Prem teams. Hendy will help though I wouldn’t expect anyone else, but LOOK, waddyeyeno?

Finally, my old friend Lionel, you mention the legend that is Toby Flood. Now there aren’t many know this, but Toby has 5 (that’s FIVE) Christian names. It would appear pater & mater had a superfluity of options and just decided to spaff the lot of them on him. The most amusing part, however, is that amongst the glut de pre-noms, he is a Cecil. I have to say I have always found Cecil an hilarious name, no idea why, it just causes me a snigger or three, but I will say I have never met a Cecil I didn’t like. The same can not be said for Jarlath, odd fish.

OK, I really must be going, goodbye now, take care dear childer.
Well well well...look what the dead tiger dragged in. Now you've got the monkey off the back with the first post. Keep them coming. Some of us haven't known what opinions to be keeping in your absence. As it happens I do wholeheartedly agree with the assessment delivered in this post. Image

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?